a push to close Parafield

Here we go again!!!. I live in Mawson lakes, and I do not notice the planes anymore. About 8 years ago it was worse with night flight training but Parafield did lots to reroute the traffic and restrict the times to the benefit of all. But most of all, the airport was there first and I knew this when I moved in, so I got over it!!

In the article, it has quoted suggestions about moving it out north, the only big issue with that is that, it is all military airspace out north!!! and once it is gone, that is it!! We loose out our only training hub for flight training.

So in summary, if you bought near the airport, it was there first!!!

we understand that the field was there first, but uninformed bigoted Joe Average doesn't think like that. Quieter planes would be a big help, but every time that issue comes up it's quickly in the too hard basket. But it can't be that hard.

It really doesn't matter whether we had quieter planes or not. You will never please a lot of people.

You have to understand the Ozzie mindset for complaint driven by jealousy.

Sure noise is an issue but in the past many of the complainants at various airports were shown to tolerate louder and more intrusive noise from other infrastructures ( like highway and rail noise) than they would from aircraft. And a significant reason is they perceive aircraft to be rich peoples toys and thus are fair game for complaint.

In one case, in court, a witness was finally made to admit her complaint against the inner Sydney heliport was that a heliport would mean rich men's wives would get to the sales first before working class wives!!!

The good news that did actually happen ( I think it was at Tyabb but not certain) - the newbie locals took the airport to court about perceived noise issues associated with new hangars being built and the courts sided with the airport stating the airport was there first and new arrivals had to consider this prior to moving there. So it does have potential to be a sensible outcome but it is always a battle to get there.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It really doesn't matter whether we had quieter planes or not. You will never please a lot of people.You have to understand the Ozzie mindset for complaint driven by jealousy.

Sure noise is an issue but in the past many of the complainants at various airports were shown to tolerate louder and more intrusive noise from other infrastructures ( like highway and rail noise) than they would from aircraft. And a significant reason is they perceive aircraft to be rich peoples toys and thus are fair game for complaint.

In one case, in court, a witness was finally made to admit her complaint against the inner Sydney heliport was that a heliport would mean rich men's wives would get to the sales first before working class wives!!!

The good news that did actually happen ( I think it was at Tyabb but not certain) - the newbie locals took the airport to court about perceived noise issues associated with new hangars being built and the courts sided with the airport stating the airport was there first and new arrivals had to consider this prior to moving there. So it does have potential to be a sensible outcome but it is always a battle to get there.

Hi J-who, I agree with you, especially about the jealousy. Your comments are spot on, but I still think that with lots of people complaining, and there are far more of them than aircraft owners, something should be done to take away one of their grounds for complaint. When it all goes to court, and you note that this happens, if the planes can be shown to be quieter, it builds the case for the airfield to stay.

The newspaper implies that shopping centres make more money for the owner/99 year lessee than secondary airports, and that's true.

How that can be handled to protect flying is the million dollar question.

Perhaps an assessment of what has happened at Bankstown and Moorabbin since the Federal Government handed out 99 year leases, could help the Fed Gov decide to take a close look.

It really doesn't matter whether we had quieter planes or not. You will never please a lot of people.You have to understand the Ozzie mindset for complaint driven by jealousy.

Once again, I am Ozzie but I am an AUSSIE!

For some reason, I can't open the initial link to this story. But no worry. The question is, is it the locals making all the noise, or the developer/s that want to get their greedy hands on the land.

• Haha 1

I live a couple of miles from Macot.

There is a regular procession of big planes taking off from Macot heading to Millers Storage,a big orange building, on Parramatta Rd, Petersham before turning left and flying between my house and the house next door at 2500ft. It gets very busy as the stragglers attempt to get out because of the curfew.

It doesn't really worry me as I know that it will be me every now and then jetting off the get the healing waters of some holy place or bar outside Sydney.

However, what pisses me off is the sanctimonious bleating of those, particularly in the northern suburbs and the Blue Mountains, who drive all the way to Mascot (thanks for clogging up my streets) hopping on to an aeroplane, dumping noise all over my house and having the hide to complain when the odd plane goes over at 10,000 feet.

Ah, the pains of living in the inner west - you can hear the gnashing of teeth and rending of hair shirts for hundreds of miles.

Put the airport at Goulburn? Just another solution looking for a problem!!