New Savannah plastic wing tips

mcrowley

Holy mackerel!!! I'm now taking tips on installing the new one piece plastics wing tips on the Savannah S.... I've manage to wrestle it in but...

1. Do you slide the plastic between the spars and skin or trim the spar or plastic tip?

2. Somehow the bottom outer skin panel one has a wave in it after I installed the tip with Clecoes.

3. Any pics of a proper install, notably the spacing/overlap of the sheet edges in relationship to the tip.

i saw one in Friedrichafen last year at the icp booth, looks really nice, im going there next month too.

these two photos is what i have now, and can fix more on 21 april.

12823053_10153436621996409_1848869696_o.jpg.db68fcfb1a6b0591db5911cbc4f0eee3.jpg

12822982_10153436622011409_834492276_o.jpg.a8f302882c3054e993ceaa9c387a2c9c.jpg

Holy mackerel!!! I'm now taking tips on installing the new one piece plastics wing tips on the Savannah S.... I've manage to wrestle it in but...1. Do you slide the plastic between the spars and skin or trim the spar or plastic tip?

2. Somehow the bottom outer skin panel one has a wave in it after I installed the tip with Clecoes.

3. Any pics of a proper install, notably the spacing/overlap of the sheet edges in relationship to the tip.

Hi,

Suggest you could call Reg Brost, the Savannah dealer for Eastern Australia - he would know. +61 418 157 044

Cheers,

Neil

Mudwasps....the scourge of the country farmer. They got a nest so big it stopped the fan for the cooling on my 6 litre deutz in the 130 hp Same tractor. Just removed another off Cosmicks GT500 in my hangar the other day it was the size of 2 of my fists

a bit of sealant and fly screen mesh isa good against wasps and still lets water out, when i took the tips off my horizontal stabiliser and elevator, i found about 5 mud nests on the spar.

Rob have you sealed the lightening holes in front of your rudder and under the stabiliser to stop them getting into your fuselage too

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the pics!! If you have some of the front that would also be very helpful.

Hi Mike, how did you go with the plastic tips? I'm just working on that now, using the mounting strips supplied with the kit: works okay on Fin, but on Rudder, something has to go between rib and skin towards the trailing edge.

I didn't get to the Stabilizer/Elevator tips yet, but shall be having a big think and probably a bit of asking too before attacking them....

Because the tip is plastic much thicker than the 16 thou skin, if you mount something between the skin and the rib, it will need to be shaped or the plastic surface will finish up proud of the sheet. I just used the supplied strip and set it down from the surface to accommodate the depth of the plastic.

Thanks Steve. That's what I am doing too. But towards the trailing edge of the Rudder, you run out of anything to fasten it to.

Also, when it comes to fastening the tips on (apart from those with rivnuts) what is used in the plastic???

Thanks

I have big clumsy fingers so I used 3mm rivnuts with pan head screws all around, 4mm pan screws are way over kill and look fairly ordinary. near the trailing edge I cut the mounting tab on the strip at an angle and drilled a 3/32" hole and put an A3 rivet in the last tab, there is no need to fix it right out the very edge. You will have all the same problems that you had with rivets bumping into each other.

Thanks Steve. I was just looking at the CD of pics Reg sent me. It looks as though the factory fix them on with no fasteners showing (apart from trim area). But rivnuts sounds fine to me.

My compressor gave up, so I'm going back over various bits and pieces I had left...like the tips.

The manual says to put rivnuts where the trim pivot and motor are to allow for servicing the pivot and inspecting the motor.

That makes sense!

Get the tips done then hang up the tail stuff out of harm's way...then on to the flaperons. Then it's wings...don't know why but I'm looking forward to wings...)

• Haha 1

Flaperons are a piece of cake, I once built twelve in eight days in times past. make sure the folds on the ribs are not bent past 90 degrees so the skins sit nicely.

That's another good tip, Steve. Thanks.

I noticed that a number of the rib noses on the tailfeathers don't seem to be 90 degrees to the rib, but thought it best to leave those ones alone and they seem to have come out okay. So good to be forewarned about the flaperons.

I saw where Mark on his XL build squared up his wing ribs too. Also injected stuff to help fill under the front 2 rib rivets. I was going to ask if that's still done/necessary/a good idea when I got a bit closer to building

• 3 weeks later...