Two dead after ultra-light plane crash in Victoria's north

Is that quote about the ATSB trike fatalities (in the Border Mail article) correct?

Latest Sports Pilot touches on statistics for RA if you're interested. Just remember that it always depends on how the information was collected and presented.

• Informative 1

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Yarrawonga Aerodrome manager Peter McLean told the Herald Sun the men, both experienced pilots, had been performing flight manoeuvres around the airstrip when their XT-912 Arrow struck the ground."I guess we will never hear any more about these "manoeuvres " or whether they contributed to the accident! Manoeuvres and flexwings are two words I don't like in the same sentence.

Condolences to all those near to them

Please be careful as to what you say in regard to this accident. The airport manager was misquoted by both Herald Son and Border Mail so little if non of the above is fact.

Why not just express your condolences and wait for the report before commenting further.

• Agree 1

RIP fellow aviators - no one sets off on a joyflight thinking they may not come home.

The debate about discussing accidents (speculating) rages on all forums whenever friends are involved. I'm firmly on the "discuss away" side of the debate - and yes I have lost close friends in flying accidents. It hurts like buggery, but the best advice I can give is, if you find it upsetting, give the forums a break for a while. A lot of useful gen comes to the fore in post accident discussions, whether it ultimately proves related to the accident or not. 12 months time when the report comes out, the circumstances are blurred in most people's minds and it just doesn't have the same impact.

• Like 2
  • Agree 14
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

RIP fellow aviators - no one sets off on a joyflight thinking they may not come home.The debate about discussing accidents (speculating) rages on all forums whenever friends are involved. I'm firmly on the "discuss away" side of the debate - and yes I have lost close friends in flying accidents. It hurts like buggery, but the best advice I can give is, if you find it upsetting, give the forums a break for a while. A lot of useful gen comes to the fore in post accident discussions, whether it ultimately proves related to the accident or not. 12 months time when the report comes out, the circumstances are blurred in most people's minds and it just doesn't have the same impact.

Utter rubbish

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Caution 1

Please be careful as to what you say in regard to this accident. The airport manager was misquoted by both Herald Son and Border Mail so little if non of the above is fact.Why not just express your condolences and wait for the report before commenting further.

And which report will that be? You producing one?

The forum is for the discussion of Accidents and Incidents , not just condolences, if you don't feel they should be discussed don't read the forum

• Agree 11
  • Helpful 2

And which report will that be? You producing one?The forum is for Accidents and Incidents , not just condolences, if you don't feel they should be discussed don't read the forum

People such as you are part of the problem, going off half cocked making ill informed comments. What would you know about manoeuvres in a current model trike ? Having flown an Edge X doesn't qualify.

Anyway the networks afternoon news is going to air as we speak with a more factual version of what occurred.

How the hell can you gain knowledge discussing speculation and rumour !

• Haha 1
  • Caution 3

People such as you are part of the problem, going off half cocked making ill informed comments. What would you know about manoeuvres in a current model trike ? Having flown an Edge X doesn't qualify.Anyway the networks afternoon news is going to air as we speak with a more factual version of what occurred.

Seems like a nerve has been hit!! Perhaps you would like to start a discussion about the Arrow wing? oh bugger, I don't know anything about them! so you say!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1

People such as you are part of the problem, going off half cocked making ill informed comments. What would you know about manoeuvres in a current model trike ? Having flown an Edge X doesn't qualify.Anyway the networks afternoon news is going to air as we speak with a more factual version of what occurred.

Any links to the factual information?

• Winner 4

This is about the limit to what I know about manoeuvres with an Arrow wing taken from my Airborne manual. Maybe you can enlighten me on any changes

2.6.2 Manoeuvring Limits

All aerobatic manoeuvres including spinning is prohibited.

Aerobatic manoeuvres including whipstalls, stalled spiral descents and negative “G” manoeuvres are not permitted. It must be emphasised that a whipstall, spiral descent or negative G manoeuvre can never be conducted safely. These manoeuvres put the aircraft outside the pilots control and put both the aircraft and its occupants in extreme danger.

Do not pitch nose up or nose down more than 45 degrees from the horizontal. The front support tube of the trike and the pilot's chest limits the fore and aft movement of the control bar respectively.

2.6.3 Bank Angle

Do not exceed 60 degrees of bank angle. In roll there is no stop for the control movement. For the purpose of pre-flight freedom, check by lowering each wing to within 10 cm off the ground (on ground level).

• Like 1

A 'funny' on a post discussing a fatal and expressing condolences? Pretty much a new low I'd say.

About all our esteemed meeja have been able to dig up so far are vague references to dust devils and that the deceased were filming for a reality TV program, believed to be an overseas version of the Amazing Race. If true, there should at least be footage available to assist in the investigation - have to say though the presence of cameras has brought more than one good pilot undone. Dust Devils are a real menace, although I would have expected one to be visible in the paddock where the trike came to rest.

A 'funny' on a post discussing a fatal and expressing condolences? Pretty much a new low I'd say.

Possibly finger trouble. I've done it accidentally when scrolling. When I've noticed someone else who may have done it, I've pm'd them and they've gone back and undone it and thanked me for letting them know.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 3

You may be right - although given that it comes from our friend who finds it acceptable to dismiss condolences and a reasoned argument as "utter rubbish", that may be overly charitable.

• Agree 1

According to channel 7 news the pilot was Ian Cook from Mt Evelyn and he had recently bought the trike from Peter McLean. Nothing to say anyone had done anything wrong but did mention that there were dust devils near the strip.

First David, now this one, that's the Yarrawonga fleet.9 News reported witnesses seeing the trike flying around the airfield.

HH, David appeared to have a medical incident that wasn't discovered by autopsy. It was a brand new aircraft in David's case. Again terribly sad.

• Informative 1

Dust devils can be very dangerous, I know of a pilot who was flying a Cessna and totalled his aircraft due to a dust devil. I feel sorry for the unfortunate pilot, his passenger and their families.

And which report will that be? You producing one?The forum is for the discussion of Accidents and Incidents , not just condolences, if you don't feel they should be discussed don't read the forum

The speculation and idiotic opinions annoy me, so insensitive and ignorant. Families looking for answers trawl through these forums, enjoy your discussions boofhead...

• Haha 1

So Stevie old fruit, it's ok for you to pontificate about dust devils and Cessnas, but no-one else may have an opinion? Glad we cleared that up.

Now moving right along, did the local news actually add anything of value to what we know of the accident? Touching on what was referred to previously, ie the media getting the story all crossed up and misquoting people, after a little past angst in dealing with them, I now have a firm rule for media questions - they put their questions to me via email and I immediately respond in the same fashion, offering to clarify any points they don't understand and with a little rider that any misquoting or unsupported inferences WILL result in a complaint to the Aus Press Council. Generally it's all too much trouble and they leave me alone.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

The speculation and idiotic opinions annoy me, so insensitive and ignorant. Families looking for answers trawl through these forums, enjoy your discussions boofhead...

"A dust devil was nearby, they is Cessna killers as well, I herd about it once, but I am not speclating or nuffing like that , I is not an idiot or ignorant like uvver boofheads, I no xactly what I is talking about. Never ever do I post rubish where famlys is looking cos I is very senstiv to"

You got to wonder sometimes. That light bulb in your head needs switching on

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Sounds like it was a commercial operation filming the Vietnamese version of the amazing race; there was a camera on the ground as well, so that may shed some light on the last moments.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/plane-crash-victims-in-yarrawonga-to-film-the-amazing-race-20160314-gnitbh.html

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

yep turbs I just hope that vision is taped and sound is on so as my theory on what went wrong is put to sleep

as I have said before another skilled pilot made a mistake why ?

but who would listen to a dumb ex truck driver dumb ex explosive handler dumb ex crane opp dumb ex plant opp dumb farming contractor

through this forum you may learn just because you don't agree with what some say I say I am an idiot to agree you are an idiot to disagree you are an idiot but then I have a piece off paper to prove that I am an idiot neil

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Ok mods this looks like a personal attack. As sometimes happens anybody who has a different opinion or view gets branded an inane idiot.

• Agree 2

Why not just express your condolences and wait for the report before commenting further.

What report would that be? These forums are about the best way learn what happened and help others avoid the same fate.

• Agree 8
  • Haha 1