Hi new to the site ,I have a zenith ch 701 that some lowlife theived the motor prop and all the inst

cowboy john

The plane had $29,000 worth of work dane at charters towers airport. I had a few heart attacks and couldn't pick it up for a few months. When i got there to fly it home all the instuments had been stolen. ( it is 450 kilometers from home) then a few months later they stole the motor and prop

Don't pay too leave anything these days with the low life that inhabit the place these days I see cars that have had a misfortune and the very next day I drive pass and some turd has broken windows and stolen anything they can its a sad place we live in

• Agree 2

Ozbear:

I suspect that the kind of people that would steal an aircraft engine, probably won't put it back in an airplane. It will probably end up in some homemade dune buggy or an airboat.

In any case, if it's a Rotax engine, John should report the serial number to Bert Floods and get it on the stolen list. That way, whoever stole it will never be able to buy parts to keep it running. The stolen Rotax engine list goes worldwide.

Hi Scott

Your probably right I was just about to mention that list my guess if it's a 100hp 912 uls it's headed for a job mustering in a gyro which most in central QLD aren't registered and never leave the cattle station

That sucks big time John and definitely a serious kick in the guts. Hope you somehow bounce back flying.

It's a sad country with this sort of behavior and no real accountability if they are caught.

It seems to me there is more to this than meets the eye.

Someone has dismantled the instrument panel in an aircraft, or at least extracted the instruments, on an airfield or within a hanger (?) and nobody has seen anything ?

Then another or the same someone has taken out the engine and no one has seen anything or passed comment. You would need to support the fuselage of the aircraft to stop it tilting backwards and require the use of an engine crane to physically move the engine. This all takes time but no one has noticed an aircraft being dismantled?

Very strange..........

And no mention of this episode being reported to the Police ?

Paul

Seems a big issue in the UK at the moment. Engine thefts of Rotax, propellers and instrument panels seem to be a weekly occurrence 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

The sad thing is that in many cases they're almost professionally removed.

It seems to me there is more to this than meets the eye.Someone has dismantled the instrument panel in an aircraft, or at least extracted the instruments, on an airfield or within a hanger (?) and nobody has seen anything ?

Then another or the same someone has taken out the engine and no one has seen anything or passed comment. You would need to support the fuselage of the aircraft to stop it tilting backwards and require the use of an engine crane to physically move the engine. This all takes time but no one has noticed an aircraft being dismantled?

Very strange..........

And no mention of this episode being reported to the Police ?

Paul

We are talking about charters towers airport. A fair distance from town. Can't see it from the road, certainly unless you were there at the time you might not see someone working on a plane. Can be pretty quiet out there. Unless you let someone know you're there you can be there on your own for hours. I've been there plenty of times ( but not for a couple of years so don't point the finger at me about this 054_no_no_no.gif.950345b863e0f6a5a1b13784a465a8c4.gif). Only a few people go there much. I don't think there's any RPT either ( could be wrong on that). I have landed for fuel there at times and unless you plan it ahead you are on your own much of the time.

Putting an engine in takes time but Taking an engine off roughly is less than about an hours job if there are a couple of you. Don't need a crane at all. Light enough to manually lift into a ute. Depending on the type of aircraft you can just stick a fuel drum or similar under the tail to stop it tipping back.

While there may turn out to be something more, the scenario is not as complex as you suspect and entirely plausible.

• Agree 1

A few months ago when I was internet searching for a 912, one site in particular ( among many others that most of us know ) came up called Craigslist UK and Craigslist London.

On that site there were an abundance of 912s. and probably still is. I contacted a couple of sellers and both gave me the same crap run around. They had pictures, one even sent me

more pics of different angles so I guess he had the engine. They claimed X hours in service but no paperwork. Wouldn't give serial numbers, and refused to take the engine to a Rotax dealer

to complete a transaction. Its only a hunch but maybe some stolen engines are finding their way to Craigslist. Hence I didn't buy. Craigslist Ireland rings a bell too.

Steve

ps. . . . I just checked Craigslist UK and there's 4 912s for sale now