RONNIE CORBET - 1930-2016 R.I.P. to a great talent.

Phil Perry

At my age,. . .most of my favourite TV personalities are either already dead, or dropping like flies.

I seem nowadays to get invited to more funerals than weddings. . .Odd that. . .

We've now lost the other part of the Two Ronnies. . . .very sad. Here's a small tribute.

1381891213_FourCandles.jpg.d581383925899b4c17ad246c0e5d56ff.jpg

The two ronnies - Fork handles - YouTube

• Like 6

O............them wonderful days, that "core group" of brilliant comical minds have departed this world........i was truly caught up in their skills.......RIP

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Guest SrPilot
At my age,. . .most of my favourite TV personalities are either already dead, or dropping like flies.I seem nowadays to get invited to more funerals than weddings. . .Odd that. . . We've now lost the other part of the Two Ronnies. . . .very sad. Here's a small tribute. [ATTACH=full]42271[/ATTACH]The two ronnies - Fork handles - YouTube

Thanks guys for introducing me to the Two Ronnies. Unfortunately, I'm a bit late to the show though.

I'd never heard of them. Nevertheless, in attempting to decipher the meaning of the candles/handles tribute by PP, I enjoyed watching some skits which I pulled up from a Google search. I must admit that I probably do not fully understand the candles/handles deal ("four candles"?). A bit of difference in language or pronunciation I guess. But while watching the skit, I really enjoyed trying to guess the possibilities as items were ordered. Did okay with the peas.

On this side of the pond, perhaps one of my favorite shows was The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. We lost him some years ago. The skit that almost got him in trouble with the FCC was the tomahawk lesson:

Thanks again.

Many many moons ago, wife and I were camped remote river "NT" , late in the arvo another traveller pulled up, as it was dusk, I suggested make camp at our spot, chap was grateful. About 30 mins later I realised who he was.......

Spike Milligan, he stayed with us for 3 nights, fished,drank,ate.....p!ssed me pants at times, great guy.

• Like 4

I must admit that I probably do not fully understand the candles/handles deal ("four candles"?)

Hi Sr,

While many of our English friends speak a very "affected" , plum in the mouth form of the language, the common man often drops leading H's and trailing G's. So dropping the H from handles, makes it 'andles, hence fork 'andles/four candles. Ronnie Barker (the big one) was a master at (intentionally) mangling the English language, as you will have seen if you watched their video clips. We Aussies are pretty good at it too. eg. 'Ave a go ya mug, usually said when challenging someone to a fist fight. Translation - Have a go, you idiot.

• Like 1

Just trust little Ronnie to depart on April Fools Day.

In my opinion the Two Ronnies was the greatest comedy show. brilliant plus it could be watched by young and old.

Those Pommie comedians from that era were great. Compare them to the American copies and you can see what humour is.

Because there is no U in American humor.

• Agree 1

In my opinion the Two Ronnies was the greatest comedy show

Yes Yenn, Together they were brilliant. I also love watching repeats of Ronnie Barker's two series 'Open All Hours' and 'Porridge' on Foxtel. Other great English comedians of that era were Dick Emery, Morecombe & Wise, Eric Sykes, and Ireland's Dave Allen. I have a few DVD's of them. Sometimes suggestive, but not straight out smut like today's comedians.

• Agree 2

I agree with regard to general swearing and smut used by quite a few of today's "Comedians" . . . having read much about the "Ronnies" over the years, they started out by keeping it "clean" and, the odd Very Mild innuendo notwithstanding, maintained the philosophy throughout, thereby proving that to be very funny, no invective is needed. In any case,. . the "Shock" factor is now pretty well gone;

Thanks for that clarification for Sir SR there Red, . . . neatly explained. It also helps with the 'Ose ( hose ) naw,. . .letter O's . . .! ! ! Very clever writing.

Phil.

Thanks guys for introducing me to the Two Ronnies. Unfortunately, I'm a bit late to the show though.I'd never heard of them. Nevertheless, in attempting to decipher the meaning of the candles/handles tribute by PP, I enjoyed watching some skits which I pulled up from a Google search. I must admit that I probably do not fully understand the candles/handles deal ("four candles"?). A bit of difference in language or pronunciation I guess. But while watching the skit, I really enjoyed trying to guess the possibilities as items were ordered. Did okay with the peas.

On this side of the pond, perhaps one of my favorite shows was The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. We lost him some years ago. The skit that almost got him in trouble with the FCC was the tomahawk lesson:

Actually SR, I really like the bizarre humour ( humor ! ) of American comic Stephen Wright. . . .some of his short quips are surreal . . .

eg, "Just think how deep would the oceans be . . . . without sponges. . .? "

"I sat next to a blonde chinese red indian girl on a Greyhound bus one time. . . . she was beautiful,. . .Her name was Cathy. . . . I asked her for a date . . .She said "Sorry, I only get turned on by Jewish Cowboys. . ."

I said. . . . "Well Cathy, I'm pleased to meet you,. . . . . my name is Bucky Goldstein. . . ."

Priceless.

Guest SrPilot
Actually SR, I really like the bizarre humour ( humor ! ) of American comic Stephen Wright. . . .some of his short quips are surreal . . . Priceless.

Well, PP, I guess you and I agree on that one. I guess you've seen this one:

But I also liked (and still watch on video) [in no special order] Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Jonathan Winter, Rodney Dangerfield, George Burns & Gracie Allen.

I always liked Peter Sellers, and have tried to watch other British comedians and entertainers when I am pointed in the right direction. Benny Hill ran on U.S. TV for some time, but usually we get only syndicated British mystery series or the occasional rerun of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

To my knowledge, I am not familiar with any Australian comedians, but find myself surprised sometimes when I learn just how many Australian entertainers I know but did not know were Australian until later (e.g., Cate Blanchett, Hugh Jackman, Chris Hemsworth, etc.) Although I tend to link Russell Crowe to Australia, it’s my understanding that he actually was born in New Zealand, but lives in Australia. Sorta like Mel Gibson who I link to Australia but he actually was born in the U.S. For one who believes in keeping things simple, this stuff gets complicated. I also have been exposed to a number of Australian movies (e.g., Crocodile Dundee et al, Australia, The Great Gatsby, the Mad Max trilogy, The Proposition, Ned Kelly) and more that I cannot remember by name having frequented your movie houses while traveling about the country.

One of the more interesting, informative, and helpful books that I have read is (your countryman's) Dr. (Col.) David Kilcullen’s book, The Accidental Guerrilla, which I bought and read during one of my visits to your country. He has other books and I plan to read Counterinsurgency when the opportunity presents itself. I have The Accidental Guerrilla readily accessible on a shelf next to by my desk and return to it from time to time.

If you have any Australian movies, songs, books, etc that you'd recommend as being especially worth seeing, hearing, or reading, please feel free to educate me. Thanks. Joe