SCU offer CPL+BBus

Southern Cross University is teaming up with global pilot training academy Airways Aviation to launch a joint university program that will award students a bachelor degree in aviation management and a commercial pilot licence to help would-be aviators take to the skies.

The three-year course will allow students to undertake a Bachelor of Business (Aviation Management) with subjects including business law and ethics, international tourism and stakeholder management.

Under the subjects required for the Certificate IV commercial pilot licence, students will obtain a diploma of aviation and a multi-engine command instrument rating. Students will also undertake a multi-crew co-operation course.

“Flying airliners even 10 years ago was quite different to today,” said Airways Aviation global chief executive Ian Cooper.

“Technological advances and automation mean it’s more of a management role nowadays than a hands-on flying role. So training courses need to change to adapt to that and that’s what we’ve been doing.”

The total cost of the three-year degree comes in at $140,000, of which $77,000 goes towards payment for a Certificate IV commercial pilot licence.

“It’s a significant investment that is required. There is this looming pilot shortage that people are talking about, but we are starting to see airlines in Europe part-fund pilot training courses. So we are hoping to see that happen here too,” Mr Cooper said.

Airways Aviation has spent more than €30 million ($50m) acquiring flight schools to position itself as a leader in aviation training.

It has also acquired a Boeing 737 flight simulator for its Brisbane school, which will be ready by the end of the month.

The academy operates six training academies across the globe and three flight schools, including one out of Gold Coast Airport. It currently has about 200 students, 60 of whom are in Australia

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/scu-airways-aviation-to-offer-bachelor-degree-and-pilot-licence/news-story/3c4be506b1fdb1e87cd4e9c62be930c4

• Like 1

Now that these qualifications that have been around now for a number of years, it would be very interesting to see just how many actually end up in the airlines or for that matter, end up flying for a living at all.. Struggling to repay a huge debt to boot, a freshly qualified candidate with all of the bells and whistles (MCIR and ATPL) has only got a couple of hundred hours experience ie., unemployable with most insurance requirements, and unless lucky enough to get the highly competitive direct entry offerings into the airlines, will be forced to find ways to build up hours to get to the minimum required.. In the meantime, there are more starry eyed freshly squeezed candidates out there doing the same. My advice to anyone considering a future in professional flying, is yes get a uni degree in something you would like to do other than aviation just in case. Airline and other prospective employers look at the evidence of achieving the tertiary qualifications and you have something to fall back on... again, just in case.

Aviation will always have jobs for people that are determined, passionate and willing to make sacrifices, however you may end up very disappointed and dejected if you think you can do one of these Uni courses and find yourself in a jet straight away. It's not impossible and does happen, but definitely not the norm. Plus, light aircraft are so much fun. In fact, I really want to get my hands on a king air, it has to be one of the most exciting aircraft going around.

• Agree 1

No problem wiith the cost. Go to Uni, run up a big Hex fee and then the government will pay the bills and you won't earn enough to have to repay them.

Once again it is a case of the Universities taking over training that was done perfectly well in the past by others. It doesn't necessarily result in better trained people, just richer universities.

• Agree 1

I was lucky enough to have my degree paid for by the taxpayer, so I'm not up to speed on how fee help works, however my understanding is that it is a real debt, and therefore banks assess it when your after things like home loans, and has to be paid back with the government starting to really crack down on it.

My big issue is it makes it harder for all the other flying schools, and there is no level playing field. One of the best things about where I do my CPL training is the training is done as though I was on a commercial operation. I normally have to get the aircraft out of the hangar, put the appropriate amount of fuel in the aircraft, and the scenarios I fly have been done just weeks before as an actual commercial flight. I'm also expected to fly to VFR minimums, and make the appropriate airmanship decisions. I can't remember the last time the instructor actually made a decision for me, I make the decisions and the instructor lets them play out. I'm in no doubt that the training at the fee help schools meets the standards, but at 30% higher cost I would really want it to exceed the standard of the other schools.

I have no problem with cadet schemes etc, I just think the industry needs balance and diversity in the backgrounds of its pilots and this won't happen if the only way to get pilot training is through a fee help school. And the university's need to stop selling these schemes by convincing the students they will be the best pilots since bob Hoover and will all be flying A380s to London within a few years.

• Like 1

The course is advertised to position you for the "looming pilot shortage". Has there ever been a shortage of pilots, anywhere in the world (other than in time of war)? We need a shortage so pilots and instructors get paid a realistic fee for their services in GA. According to the media there is a multi billion dollar deficit in the HECS debt owing to the government so funding someone to add to the current pilot oversupply in Australia is ridiculous.

VET fee and hecs is a joke. Look at America and its crippling student debts. Best way to turn a smart country stupid.

I was lucky, when I was studying my degree, my employer footed the bill provided I passed each subject. Saved me a massive HECS debt.

Interesting I was sitting a CASA exam a couple of weeks ago in that exam sitting were 6 VET help students only one (1) passed the subject they were sitting (not sure which subjects but all commercial).

I'm also led to believe VET help is available to foreign students.

• Informative 1