Hello enthusiasts...

BD5-Captain

Hello all, new to your forum.......

I'm not a pilot yet but have made the start, student pilot....

I own 3 Bede BD5's which I recently imported for the U S of A, these are in my work shop as of last weekend where one lucky contender will be built/restored over the next year or 20.... Just kidding should be 2-3.... I have an understanding wife, and kids have flown the coupe..

I also have the makings of a highly modified...... Well it will be, Cozy MKIV....... This one doesn't scare me as much as the BD5, but it will receive "no" loving until one of the BD's is rocketing trough the skies....

Anyway will drop on and of line to see what's what.... What...

Would love to hear from any other BD-5 owners if there are any herein, flying or not...

Ron

• Like 2

Hi BD5-C, welcome to the forum.

Great to hear about the BD5 imports, cute little aircraft though they might be considered a little unforgiving in their handling characteristics for a new pilot. Their flights per fatality statistics were rather drastic at one stage, IIRC the major issues were stalling in the circuit due to uncommanded pitch-up from blanketing of the elevator as the pilot slowed down in the circuit. I'd guess you'd be well aware of their foibles?

The Cozy is supposed to be a kindly handling aircraft - you don't think it might be a better one to build some experience in before flying the less forgiving BD5?

What mods are you planning for the Cozy? And why change it from standard?

• Agree 2

I saw one fly once. I think that makes me fairly rare. It all happens quickly. I think it was the J version at Avalon? There's a lot about the plane(s) on Wiki. which I have just finished reading, Hence the incomplete post. (Up till now). I would procede slowly with a project with these but how interesting.... Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

All good points, life is all about choices really, the BD5 is first because that's what I have always wanted, it's why I bought them...

I do have some experience of flying (albeit without a license ), which is a benefit of growing up in remote Aust, oh that and having a girlfriend at the time who's dad owned a c182.... The gulf country from the air is just stunning, actually from the ground it is just as awesome.....

The only reason for for modifying the cozy is to take into account some of the comfort features already being used by experimental builders around the world and to make it more of transport/camper for my wife and I. i.e. Two seater and loads of luggage (safe storage) room, and a much stronger landing gear setup, something that would handle the odd grass strip, the Birdsville races or even Lake Eyre if I want to . Just so my options of travelling the greatest country on earth, Australia, are not toooooo restricted.... Oh and the wife won't get in it unless it has a BRS, so there is comfort that at least one of us is completely sane...

The BD-5, yes they are complex and by the time it is built I will have reasonable hours under my belt, I'm not completely insane...... Well not yet anyway...

Also the primary point of failure (in the past) has been due to the lack of viable power plants, fuel issues, and yes some pilot issues... The last crash of a BD5 in Australia was due to a fuel vapour lock...... Apart from the complexity of the 5 it is still prone to the same issues any other 'Experimental Plane' is susceptible to.

I could be just as dead in grasshopper or drifter if I do not respect it, and if I'm honest, while not inviting death, I'd rather die doing something I love in the sky then sliding into old age watching others from the ground..

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I saw one fly once. I think that makes me fairly rare. It all happens quickly. Nev

That makes two of us at least. What sticks in my memory is the speed of th u/c cycling - down one sec, gone the next.

That makes two of us at least. What sticks in my memory is the speed of th u/c cycling - down one sec, gone the next.

Ha ha ha... Yes I believe the BD5 still holds the Record for the fastest gear cycle.....

There's a BD-5 in Melbourne, sorry, can't remember the owner offhand.

Not sure on the one in Melbourne but there is a piston one (not jet) owned by Charlie Chua in WA think the rego is VH-UBD

G'Day Ron, Also being a fan of the BD-5, I have most of two kits (sans drive-trains of course).

As the -5 will not fit in the ultralight category, and I don't have a GA license, When I get to building on of them, it will be somewhat modified.

To try and get legal area, I started looking at a delta;

BD5-1.jpg.fb19f5afbabfe318d3f0930483151f36.jpg

And it would seem some one had a go at this in the states many years ago, but I've never found any more details...;

BD5-2.jpg.3c661c007df1d030b1aef88c8a5e1ed7.jpg

I then thought of maybe a swept forward wing;

BD5-3.jpg.6237345ba1debc2ad421600c0ef67483.jpg

And my latest idea is based on the Multiplex 'Fun-Jet', which I've found to be a nice flying model;

BD5-4.jpg.962117642f0f1ee50a5d758147809298.jpg

These would all probably use a Rotax 582 for weight reasons.

Not sure if I would go to the trouble of getting a GA license just so I could build and fly a 'stock' one, but who knows..?

• Like 2

Hi Ron and welcome to these interesting pages. Rave you read the Wikipedia on BD5 history? They are fast and unforgiving, a bit like the Mooney I owned for some years only giving it up last year as I now am building a fibreglass Cri Cri similar aircraft. The aim for this aircraft is under $10k. I am on track with the price and have the engines, foam and wheels brakes etc. The engines are two Hirth single cylinder engines. But the reason for telling you this is that I have a Cozy IV partially finished that I started and stopped when I bought the Mooney for the outback work I was doing. Being retired I will never have the money to finish it and the wife will not fly anymore so it is not needed. I would like to finish it but only to sell it and I would rather concentrate on the Cri Cri style aircraft with aerobatics etc.

I do not know what engines you intend to use in the BD5 but I would suggest a water cooled two stroke engine, the are so much more difficult to seize. I have had a rough running Lycoming from chilling the engine. I think that it is best that you look at water cooling being a very low time pilot, it is more difficult to destroy a water cooled engine as a low time pilot. I can assist with a Hirth engine if you are interested (I must declare an interest as I am a Hirth agent in Australia).

Cheers Geoff

• Informative 2

Many pilot have got stuck into a build only to discover two (or more) years down the road they have a plane and no recent experience flying. This has caused a LOT of very short periods of new plane ownerships. Cozy and Long EZ examples are well represented. It is not that the models are hard to fly. Quirky, maybe.

This is not advice. I would be finding someone who could objectively tell me I was or wasn't safe to fly whatever I just built. I would pay them for their opinion like it was worth something. Relative to the cost of the build its a cheap form of insurance.

• Like 1

The situation you describe is not unusual. First flight prangs are too common. It's already risky because it's untested, and If you haven't been flying at all for a while you may not be up to it. Also being your plane and the product of years of work you may try too hard to not damage it, and attempt things like a turn back when it's not safe, or possible. Nev

• 2 years later...
Hi Ron and welcome to these interesting pages. Rave you read the Wikipedia on BD5 history? They are fast and unforgiving, a bit like the Mooney I owned for some years only giving it up last year as I now am building a fibreglass Cri Cri similar aircraft. The aim for this aircraft is under $10k. I am on track with the price and have the engines, foam and wheels brakes etc. The engines are two Hirth single cylinder engines. But the reason for telling you this is that I have a Cozy IV partially finished that I started and stopped when I bought the Mooney for the outback work I was doing. Being retired I will never have the money to finish it and the wife will not fly anymore so it is not needed. I would like to finish it but only to sell it and I would rather concentrate on the Cri Cri style aircraft with aerobatics etc.I do not know what engines you intend to use in the BD5 but I would suggest a water cooled two stroke engine, the are so much more difficult to seize. I have had a rough running Lycoming from chilling the engine. I think that it is best that you look at water cooling being a very low time pilot, it is more difficult to destroy a water cooled engine as a low time pilot. I can assist with a Hirth engine if you are interested (I must declare an interest as I am a Hirth agent in Australia).

Cheers Geoff

sorry i only just saw this, tell me more about your cozy??? maybe send me some pics... a price?

i am also interested in your Cri Cri project, any chance i could see your progress? i have Cru Cri plans on a shelf here somewhere also.

Ron

Many pilot have got stuck into a build only to discover two (or more) years down the road they have a plane and no recent experience flying. This has caused a LOT of very short periods of new plane ownerships. Cozy and Long EZ examples are well represented. It is not that the models are hard to fly. Quirky, maybe.This is not advice. I would be finding someone who could objectively tell me I was or wasn't safe to fly whatever I just built. I would pay them for their opinion like it was worth something. Relative to the cost of the build its a cheap form of insurance.

thanks for your input, I actually have an advisor (mentor) assigned to me, that comes to inspect my work as required depending on progress.... also i will have a number of hours before i ever take of in something experimental.

I would like to chat with you about cozy and cri cri aircraft and the aircraft that I am building. Call 0419691452 to cjac. I hope that I am allowed to give my phone, but it would take a long time to write it down on this site

I had the honour to fly a Mooney Porsche a couple of times to the Isle of Man ( and elsewhere ),. . .I didn't realise how fast the gear retraction was until I saw a video of me taking off. . .Jeeze. .. that was quick ! ! ! Now you see it - now - you - don't . . . .

Unlike the Cessna 210, whose retraction looks rather like a Stork taking off whilst having having a leisurely Krap. . . .

( Followed by YOU having a 'Slightly less than leisurely Krap' when the solenoid fails and it doesn't deploy properly when you really need it to. . . .)

Yes,. . I've had to do the 105 Pumps on the handle a couple of times with 210s. . . .All part and parcel of travelling above the ground I guess. . . .But I STILL Lke Cessna Products. . I do. . I really DO. . .

Did you know that there are two Mooney Porsche's in Melbourne?

Well NO Geoff,. . .since I left there in 1983. . . . Sorry. . . .I didn't. . .lucky Rich Barstards. . . I hate them. . . .

:-)

I've been lucky enough to 'BLAG' a couple of flights in Cessna Jets though. . . .AND a couple of Learjet flights to Europe. . .in the right hand seat. . . .Jeeze,. . .don't they like a lot of tarmac ? ? ? ?. . . it was interesting to see for myself the aircraft 'Teetering' on the edge of a stall, whilst being close to VNE at FL 385. . . the 'Coffin Corner' effect . . this was an early model though, and I am given to understand that the later ones can get to FL 400 and fly safely. . .but on Autopilot only of course. . .

The situation you describe is not unusual. First flight prangs are too common. It's already risky because it's untested, and If you haven't been flying at all for a while you may not be up to it. Also being your plane and the product of years of work you may try too hard to not damage it, and attempt things like a turn back when it's not safe, or possible. Nev

This is why the UK system (for home builders) is so sensible. You cannot test fly an aircraft which you have lovingly built over a period of years. . .You must have an Approved test pilot to do this. One who is FULLY conversant with the type. Both the BMAA ad the LAA have a raft of experienced Builder / Pilots who have been tested for their experience and are then qualified as Test Pilots for every type which is allowed to be built. These blokes are also highly experienced Inspectors, some of whom will have been following each specific build ad signing off each part of the build sequence. I Assume that something similar exists in Australia. At least,. . .I HOPE IT BLOODY WELL DOES. . .insane otherwise for the reasons already described. . . .