Kooralbyn

Cheers.

I have emailed the resort asking what the go is?

I see I first posted under the wrong forum directory and so I have reposted under AUS/NZ general discussion

The resort has told me the runway has been resurfaced, $20 landing fee but if you spend $30+ at the resort no landing fee will apply

• 5 weeks later...

I just called and they tell me the airstrip is serviceable and the X's are gone. I am going to fly in for lunch on Friday, and if its any good it might be come a regular destination for me! Will report back after I return.

• Like 1

I just called and they tell me the airstrip is serviceable and the X's are gone. I am going to fly in for lunch on Friday, and if its any good it might be come a regular destination for me! Will report back after I return.

Don't forget it's right hand ccts for 12 ... and a word of warning from someone who's made thousands of landings there while instructing in the 1980s ... if there's any northerly component to the wind it can be quite treacherous ... um ... interesting ... if you're touching down about halfway down the runway where the cutting is. And that's the usual place to be touching down if you're using 12 due to high ground and villas on the approach, so if there's any significant wind and it's with a northerly component then land long so that you're touching down after the cutting.

You've been warned ... ;-)

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Don't forget it's right hand ccts for 12 ... and a word of warning from someone who's made thousands of landings there while instructing in the 1980s ... if there's any northerly component to the wind it can be quite treacherous ... um ... interesting ... if you're touching down about halfway down the runway where the cutting is. And that's the usual place to be touching down if you're using 12 due to high ground and villas on the approach, so if there's any significant wind and it's with a northerly component then land long so that you're touching down after the cutting.You've been warned ... ;-)

If there's a northerly component to the wind, wouldn't it be better to land 30 rather than 12?

If there's a northerly component to the wind, wouldn't it be better to land 30 rather than 12?

No, 12 is better in almost all conditions except in a due northerly, westerly or WNW, and if it's strong then it can be quite bumpy close to the ground due to extensive areas of uneven high ground to the north and west. Also - check the windsock carefully, it may well be blowing NW in the air but the valley funneling effect can have it blowing NE on the ground.

Also - be mindful of the seabreeze which comes in very strong from the East in mid-late afternoon on days when it's hot and unstable further inland.

In a north easterly I'd always recommend using 12 and land long to overfly the cutting. If you've had time to check the surface on the ground then I'd always land on the grass to the right of 12 to increase the distance from the cutting itself - and grass is easier on the tyres too of course.

30 is fine in nil wind or little wind conditions, naturally.

One other thing, a smallish oval RH circuit for 12 is best, avoid straight in approaches to avoid overflying the hillside villas and to keep you further away from the resort.

No, 12 is better in almost all conditions except in a due northerly, westerly or WNW, and if it's strong then it can be quite bumpy close to the ground due to extensive areas of uneven high ground to the north and west. Also - check the windsock carefully, it may well be blowing NW in the air but the valley funneling effect can have it blowing NE on the ground.Also - be mindful of the seabreeze which comes in very strong from the East in mid-late afternoon on days when it's hot and unstable further inland.

In a north easterly I'd always recommend using 12 and land long to overfly the cutting. If you've had time to check the surface on the ground then I'd always land on the grass to the right of 12 to increase the distance from the cutting itself - and grass is easier on the tyres too of course.

30 is fine in nil wind or little wind conditions, naturally.

One other thing, a smallish oval RH circuit for 12 is best, avoid straight in approaches to avoid overflying the hillside villas and to keep you further away from the resort.

What is this cutting you speak of?

Hellsbells Gareth, the runway was built in the 1970s long enough to safely land Learjets on the valley floor. If you're so low and flat in an LSA that trees on the approaches are an issue then you need a little more practice with flaps and slipping ... just sayin'. Low approaches and/or departures at a location with very limited outlanding opportunities is a bit inadvisable, one is wisest to treat operations at such places as if they were always deadstick, ensuring you can always make it to the strip in event of loss of power in the circuit.

Pearo, a cutting is where a ridge has been blasted away to make way for a road, or in this case a road and also a runway. Do you use Google Earth? Turn on the 'terrain' function and you might see a cliff adjacent to the left side of 12 ... it can produce strong rotors over the strip when suitable conditions prevail. Especially since the ridge rises steeply 1000ft higher on that northern side. Nothing to worry about unless firm northerlies are blowing.

Pearo, a cutting is where a ridge has been blasted away to make way for a road, or in this case a road and also a runway. Do you use Google Earth? Turn on the 'terrain' function and you might see a cliff adjacent to the left side of 12 ... it can produce strong rotors over the strip when suitable conditions prevail. Especially since the ridge rises steeply 1000ft higher on that northern side. Nothing to worry about unless firm northerlies are blowing.

Thanks, good to know. I have looked on google earth but never thought of using terrain!

Also double good to know as I am looking for rural property at the moment with the aim to build an airstrip!

Just google earthed it. Looks pretty tame compared to strips like Dunwich. Might do a low pass first to have a look a first.

I am going solo at this stage, so if anyone is interested in coming for a run let me know. Got the plane (c182t) booked from 1000hrs to 1600hrs, so probably wheels up around 1045hrs. Leaving redcliffe via archerfield and returning via Byron Bay and coastal back to YRED.

Hey Pearo,

When are you going? I did a few visits into YKBN when it was a resort in a Cherokee 6 several years back. My PPL has lapsed (still RAA) but happy to RHS if interested.

PM me if you are going this week.

Cheers

Matt

Alan , trees are quite high at end of strip ,never been there before but it is 1.4 klms long ,next time (sun) will land a bit longer land short and its a long taxy to hanger (i fly a heavier plane 2 up now)

cheers gareth

• 4 weeks later...

I went there for lunch today after a spot of gliding at Boonah first.

The runway has recently been resealed and is in great condition. The resort is a 5 minute stroll away with a great little very well priced restaurant/cafe. Burgers are $18, Pizzas from $14 and the food was great.

There was virtually no wind so I landed uphill (30) and took off downhill (12).

It's a great venue for breakfast or lunch.

image.jpeg.c5dc8d54139e2770c2c539b85fb7be13.jpeg

image.jpeg.ef2c09f3b7b57d2de08c900853f39a51.jpeg

image.jpeg.c9f7382c0f9e98dfdb0cec645162619c.jpeg

image.jpeg.eeb7bed728ebfadb48bc46bbfa94b185.jpeg

image.jpeg.3f0baa1a03241b665142c8f471fd7dd8.jpeg

• Like 3

I went to the country club pub (short walk from the resort) and had a $10 beef burger with chips.

You reminded me, I need to post the photo's I took.

• 2 weeks later...