SR-22 crash Houston

I might be missing the point but there wasn't any fuel in either tank.

how do you know? Statements that "there was no sign of fuel at the crash site" or that the wings broke open with no sign of fuel don't prove that it ran out of fuel; maybe it had fuel in its tanks but the tanks didn't rupture.

• Agree 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the plane was spinning but you can't be sure.

You can see the shadow of the plane spinning just before it hits.

how do you know?

Pretty sure there would have been a fire if there was fuel left in the tanks with that sort of impact.

maybe it had fuel in its tanks but the tanks didn't rupture.

That would be so unlikely.

• Agree 1

you can see from the video the tanks ruptured it hit a concrete driveway

ok, fair enough.

my instructor drilled into me 3 important things:

the air above you

runway behind you

fuel left in the bowser.

It seems she didn't fill her tanks at the start of the flight.

A terrible price to pay.

For an owner's appreciation of the situation that this pilot faced in just maintaining control of the aircraft, the following is instructive reading: Cirrus SR20 (and a bit about the SR22)

Since he is an owner and a CFI, I personally believe his appreciation of the aircraft is probably worth attention, in particular comments on the handling characteristics.

• Like 1

Guest extralite

On the specs a standard cirrus doesnt seem that high performance. Cruise/approach speed just a bit higher than an RV. But it is promoted as almost a go anywhere in any weather aircraft due to its avionics, and for a low airtime pilot into a busy airport capacity limit would be reached early. More marketing over reach than anything maybe? The aircraft itself seems beautiful and modern compared to a 70's generation aircraft. Have there been any cirrus fatals in Australia? I know of 2 parachute deployments..one i believe due to not putting oil in the engine, the other due to fuel starvation.

One 'chute deployment was a result of the dealer demonstrator pilot showing off the stall characteristics over Lawson NSW to a prospective customer, and it going pear-shaped. You might like to look at the photos at: Light plane deploys parachute to make 'soft' landing in front yard to see how close to a power pole it ended up...

See also: Investigation: AO-2014-083 - Loss of control involving a Cirrus SR22, N802DK, near Katoomba, NSW on 10 May 2014

• Like 1

Guest extralite

Good reading. It would seem that the passenger had a prior spin training, firstly by questioning use of flap in a banked stall. I wonder if he was military as its drummed in and often practiced but always clean. While PIC selected neutral rudder, passenger applied opposite rudder and foward control stick pressure which should have brought it out of the spin faster. Good and brave decision by PIC to pull the shute however as sounds like not a lot of height to try the theory out. Thanks for link.

Guest SrPilot
You can see the shadow of the plane spinning just before it hits. Pretty sure there would have been a fire if there was fuel left in the tanks with that sort of impact.

I just saw this video which at full-screen gives a better image of the descent. The audio and video are not matched up though. Someone superimposed the audio from the approach with the security camera video of the crash.

Plane spins, drops from the sky - CNN Video

I noted the spin shown in the shadow of the airplane and the seemingly total lack of fuel blowing out at impact or even leaking out after impact. I read that the Cirrus has integral fuel tanks - i.e., wet wings. I'm not sure all models have the same setup, but here's the maintenance manual on one series, the SR22: http://servicecenters.cirrusdesign.com/techpubs/pdf/AMM/SR22/pdf/28-10.pdf

It says in part: "Each wing contains an integral fuel tank bounded by the upper and lower wing skins, main spar web, aft wing shear web, and the inboard and outboard fuel tank ribs. The wing skins and fuel ribs, are of fiberglass composite with foam core sandwich construction. A fuel baffle rib is integral to each tank to reduce fuel slosh. Fuel return lines are fed to the top of each fuel tank. Access panels are located in each fuel tank bay for servicing. Fuel tank fittings and screens are accessible through wing access panels."

A drawing in the manual is on page 17 of the manual, accessed using the link above.

Some people are saying there was not fuel in the tanks. would these aircraft have a low fuel warning light or buzzer? was the engine still running? did she tell ATC she was low on fuel.