Main wheels & Front Wheel upgrade

Xavier

Hi all,

I need a bit of help regarding tire / rim and bearings for a full tires upgrade.

Aircraft : Savannah VG

Actual tires :

Main : Condor - 6.00-6 4 Ply --> Photo Original.jpg, Main Original Condor.jpg

Front : Trelleborg T-510 - 13x5.00-6 --> Photo Front --> Original.jpg

Upgrade :

Main : Aero Classic 21x8.00x6 --> Photo Upgrade.jpg

Front : Condor - 6.00-6 4 Ply

So one of the actual main wheel (Condor - 6.00-6) will replace the front wheel ( I checked the clearance and it should fit).

And the 2 new 21x8.00x6 will be the new main.

I managed to get a 6'' rim that will go in the front.

Is there anything I should know about replacing the actual front rim with the new one regarding bearing size ?

Also I could not find the reference of the bearing used on the main rim and front rim ?

Would any of you have a part number for the bearings used on the main and front rim ?

Hope you understand what I am trying to do 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Cheers,

Xavier

483025634_MainRim.jpg.57a72f342af594c15b7902d75a66272f.jpg

Original.jpg.287374cc8a63ccb6953391faf2d41673.jpg

1833665769_Front-Original.jpg.f9d11821740b90cc1f7e0924d9184868.jpg

401585495_MainOriginalCondor.jpg.96b997bfad82ed07160a363459a83508.jpg

Upgrade.jpg.93cc3a1402fe96e81d26f0102bc022d2.jpg

Hi Xavier

I have the same combo on my VG.

Replaced the previous spatted 15/600 x 6. Drilled out the old fork about 15mm lower.

Did new weight and balance, added a fair bit of weight but Cof G change was negligible, only a few millimetres.

Overall the improvement fantastic, able to get in and out of places that were impossible previously. Before and after pics.

Peter

image.jpeg.06edb26f6fec5aecf4a2721e428fddc8.jpeg

image.jpeg.5ad8c30060bee2cfab6dd18065d22127.jpeg

• Like 2

Hello Xavier / Peter

I'm interested in doing the same modification to my Savannah VG which has MTOW 560Kg. Currently with the original small tyres.

Am I correct that Aero Classic 21 inch (as well as Condor ) will fit onto original rims without modification?

Can you tell me where I can source Aero Classic in Australia / (NZ). The Condors I believe are standard Cessna tyres.

Cheers, Steve Cooper

Hi Steve

I sourced my tyres and tubes from Desser Rubber in the states. Their service was great. Even with freight and GST etc it was heaps cheaper than I could have got them here in NZ.

Peter

Hi Steve,

I did the same like Peter and had the same great service from Desser.

I had to order a 4'' rim for the from wheel before I can replace it by the Condor and I should get it from Reg (Aerokits) this week so I haven't fitted the new Aero Classic yet, hopefully it should be done within the next 2 weeks and I will share a few photos.

Xavier

Peter I already asked Xavier this question.

How do you fit the Desser valve stem onto Savannah 6 inch rim? Tight clearance even for the original 6" inner tube which has a 90 degree bend.

I am looking at the 22 inch 850-6 tyres but want to make sure I can use $150US worth of inner tubes. S

Hi there i made sleeves to change from roller bearing to sealed ball bears , i think the ones i used were 3/4 od to 1 5/8 od . I have a the aero trainer on front with axle 15 mm lowered and have the 8.00 x6 turf gligers on the back on my savannah ,i think is the best of bolth worlds . The main are great on the bumps but you can use low pressure and not over big in Od of tyre when you go to the next size up on 701 you have to go to the twin caliper brakes on each wheel .

• 3 months later...

Well it took a while but wheels are upgraded. Aero Classic 8.5-6 mains and Condor front. Waited until I had finished X-C training just in case cruise speed and fuel burn were going to be an issue.

Bit of fiddling involved: re-drill front axle hole, new 12mm holes for the valve stems on main wheels. And of course the very primitive main wheel situation of having to reassemble and repack wheel bearings every time you take wheel off. Not to mention disc rotor attachment screws that were seized and had to be drilled out.

All good now. About 6-7 psi in mains which is keeping them round even when loaded and not enough to make tube bulge out of original central valve stem hole.

Aircraft rolls much easier over rough ground. Have not yet flown because of adverse winds at my high country airstrip (3700'). Also missed Narromine fly-in :-(

1844614035_bigwheels2.jpg.4f0ed26dca33ee26c0c150986b686d7e.jpg

1316692179_bigwheels.jpg.6ab59b14a8de394002309a9d32d95187.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Putting the 6" tyre on the front alters the nose down attitude it sits with which I consider a good feature, particularly in strong gusty winds. You can control the weight on the nosewheel by how you fly it.. Nev

have the same tyre combo on my aircraft.That's good to see, meaning that another machine the same as mine does actually fly and no terrible weight and balance issues on take-off :-)

Can you tell me what pressures you are running. Do you need more runway since the conversion to bigger wheels? Steve

Now show us some pics of a few back country strips!!Well my own strip probably qualifies. Its only 2 hours by car from Sydney but at 3700' ASL on an exposed ridge top surrounded by pine forests. I have only landed there a few times before vacating the flying club hangar when they needed space for new aircraft.

Was keen to do a GoPro clip of landing there this weekend by persistent strong winds would have made it a very worrying prospect.

Maybe next weekend!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Well my own strip probably qualifies. Its only 2 hours by car from Sydney but at 3700' ASL on an exposed ridge top surrounded by pine forests. I have only landed there a few times before vacating the flying club hangar when they needed space for new aircraft.

Was keen to do a GoPro clip of landing there this weekend by persistent strong winds would have made it a very worrying prospect.

Maybe next weekend!

Looking forward to the clop Traveldoc.

Clip will be forthcoming when aircraft is flying again. Soon.

Had to replace nose ribs and leading edge after impact with tree at end of a long landing roll. Gust of tailwind, wet grass, too late on the brakes etc etc.

The biggest factor was pilot inexperience. All reported to RAA and ATSB as required.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but I am looking to replace the tyres on my SVNH VGXL known as Noddy. I currently have 6 x 6.00 tyres alround but planned to replace with 8.00s all round. I am intrigued that the messages above suggest 8.00 on mains - and 6 on the nose wheel. If I haven’t misunderstood this, surely that tips the nose down and reduces the already limited prop clearance with a 66” Bolly? I assumed it was 8’s all round. Am I wrong?

I know this is an old thread but I am looking to replace the tyres on my SVNH VGXL known as Noddy. I currently have 6 x 6.00 tyres alround but planned to replace with 8.00s all round. I am intrigued that the messages above suggest 8.00 on mains - and 6 on the nose wheel. If I haven’t misunderstood this, surely that tips the nose down and reduces the already limited prop clearance with a 66” Bolly? I assumed it was 8’s all round. Am I wrong?

Nev (in post #12) sums it up well.

A bit of nose down attitude can be helpful on strong winds.

The distance from the mains to nose wheel is far greater than nosewheel to prop...

Increasing the diameter of the mains only lowers the prop a percentage of that "main" increase. (Leverage, pivot points and stuff...)