Mr Skidmore resigned from CASA?

I doubt that the next person in the seat will be any better than Skidmore and suspect they will be another political appointee who cannot do anything to change CASA. The politicians are either not wanting any change or are scared of the beaurocrats. There will be no change until the CASA constitution is changed to make promotion of aviation part of its reason for being, rather than solely safety.

• Agree 5

I doubt the average Pollie would have a clue about what CASA needs. They are planning to sell off Airservices. Planes? Who needs them? You have to be rich and stupid to own one(they think). Nev

That Skidmore has gone does point to a problem of proper reform in way required by #asrr. The Forsyth way must now be implemented immediately. Part of this is the US far's. Dumping of a complicated, complex Reg set is part of that process. A good set of "b....L's" is the requirement of the Senate in a direction to the minister.

Over 300m has already been spent.

No more

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So over a period of time, The old Board was replaced........ A New CEO was appointed......... End result..... No Change.This would indicate that the lower levels of the organisation are in control.

Next step (Perhaps) Install a caretaker CEO, (Or toe cutter) to clear the decks.

Coming off an election, there must be a few of the party faithful that are looking for a job.

The video of Senator OSullivan questioning the director re. Jabiru. Blind Freddie could see the director was given the incorrect briefing. Very easy to fix that - adjourn the enquirery and get that advisor in and then ask them what is going on, then keep on going down the line the lyers will be found. Do not have a time limit see the good senator went over time, the scallywags know that they have to weather the storm and time will be on their side, then off they go not having to reveal all. This CASA issue has to be fixed it is a joke just a bunch looking after their ego and pay packet with no constructive results.

KP

The video of Senator OSullivan questioning the director re. Jabiru. Blind Freddie could see the director was given the incorrect briefing. Very easy to fix that - adjourn the enquirery and get that advisor in and then ask them what is going on, then keep on going down the line the lyers will be found. Do not have a time limit see the good senator went over time, the scallywags know that they have to weather the storm and time will be on their side, then off they go not having to reveal all. This CASA issue has to be fixed it is a joke just a bunch looking after their ego and pay packet with no constructive results.KP

The person here is Jonathon Aleck. AKA The Witchdoctor

• Winner 1
  • Caution 1

The person here is Jonathon Aleck. AKA The Witchdoctor

You are correct with that one OR could he be trying to sink the director because his nose was well out of joint because he wanted that position?

There are more hidden behind the curtains, bring them out and give them the OSullivan treatment.

KP

In that case the RAeS event will be a sell-out Dave!

Very worrying to see Skidmore go. To understand how much progress he made it is necessary to understand just how totally dysfunctional the organisation really is.

Dick

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

What you are saying there, Dick.

Correct me if I am incorrect.

There should be a senate enquiriey into the CASA operations, start at the bottom and work up, this will prevent the manipulation of evidence and give a chance for some whistle blowers to save their skin.

KP

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

Well it is an absolute disaster losing Mark he is one of the most genuine and progressive people I have met in that organization. He listened and he did or tried to do without having his legs chopped out from under him. He is down to earth and always prepared to have a go in getting for the majority what they want and need. He was hell bent on the issue of safety and ensuring that a strong safety culture in the industry was present without it being cost prohibitive to the operators. I have no idea where we will be headed without his input. A very sad day but I must say he obviously had good reason for resigning as I know that he would not have done so unless his reasons for doing so were pressing. It is a very unfortunate situation for all RAA registered aircraft owners as we may find ourselves once again at the mercy of the occupants of, Ivory Tower Pty Ltd.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

What a crock.

You are not talking about the same person I have met. Skidmore is a person who avoids questions, walks away from direct issues. Does not understand the issues facing small business and aviation.

Further he has been led by the nose by people such as Jonathan Aleck.

Happy to show you the evidence. Mark was informed of the problem issues and people at the initial stages of his tenure.

The Jabiru example and that of the #colmarbrunton survey disaster certainly do not give me or the Australian aviation industry any confidence.

Introduction of the #FAA far's immediately, is the only way forward.

• Like 2

Agree wholeheartedly. When CASAs' version of Part 61 takes 600 odd pages of gobbledegook, plus the same again of the M-O-S, and enumerates some 30 +/- strict liability penalties vs the FAA Part 61 of 130 pages or so - there is an obvious problem. The NZ CAA had no problem with creating their own Part 61 of 30 pages less than the US. The CASA Part 61 is simply a mess. It has cost we instructors untold time and money to negotiate, and yet, more 'corrective' Instruments continue to flow from the Regulator. We have no idea what the legislation will say, much less mean, next week.

My US PPL is a credit card - same as my RAAus. My old CAR 5 licence was 12 pages. My new Part 61 licence is 20 pages and too large to fit in my pocket. So, I risk a strict liability offence of 50 penalty units @ $180 each, by not carrying it at all times. That says it all!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

By reading your post TAA up-into-the-air. I would be correct by saying the lower order of the CASA bureaucrats are only interested in saving their poisons in CASA.

Hence will be a good idea for an enquiry starting at the bottom and moving to the top.

KP

I met Mr Skidmore and was very impressed. It was clear to me that he was in no way led by Dr Aleck. MS was clearly the one setting the direction. His resignation is a big loss to RAAus and I pessimistically expect this will seriously adversely affect the RAAus proposal for 750 kgs and access to CTA. After October, there will be a caretaker CEO at CASA who will just keep things steady and not make significant decisions.all progress will go on the back burner. The replacement for Skidmore will not be up to speed much before this time next year.

It will be clear fairly quickly after the appointment of his replacement as to whether the Govt is serious about the implementation of the Av Safety review and the repair of CASA.

It is not the lowest levels in CASA where the problem lies but in the permafrost of middle management.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

That might not be as simple as it sounds.

Both Australia and the United States have been progressively embedding within ICAO.

Set out below is what I found after a few hours of research in 2013; I know it's not directly related to the Mark Skidmore comments; I was only searching for a Safety Management System at the time; if you do your homework, you should be able to see whether there is any chance at all of Australia extricating itself from ICAO, and going with the FARs you are talking about.

As for the FARs, it might pay to do some homework there also. When I was researching the SMS chain of responsibility, I found that the US had also adopted the very same ICAO process which applies in Australia; times have changed and much of the grass is the same colour on both sides of the fence.

Department of Infrastructure & Transport

DIT posted this statement in 201. There is a link from this link

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) now requires member nations to produce a State Safety Program.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_100396

Department of Infrastructure & Transport

This link provides some detail, and another link to the CASA site regarding SMS for various operations such as airlines, charter operators, maintenance operations, aerodromes etc.

State Safety Risk Management

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/safety/ssp/chapter_2.aspx

“The Deed of Agreement between CASA and Recreational Aviation Australia, Inc. requires a Safety management System to be in place”

This is confirmed by the following CASA document:

http://flysafe.raa.asn.au/regulations/casa_sport_aviation_handbook.pdf

The document spells out board member obligations:

An SMS Manager is required by CASA to meet its obligations to ICAO

This CASA link calls up ICAO document 9859 What is safety management and safety management systems? | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

This link to ICAO 9859, calls up a Manager - http://www2.icao.int/en/ism/Guidance Materials/SMM_3rd_Ed_Advance_R4_19Oct12_clean.pdf

On Page 168, Table A SMS Element says:

Establish a key person/officer responsible for the administration and maintenance of the SMS.

On Page 175, Appendix 1 there is a sample Job Description for a Safety Manager