Handheld radio

I'm thinking about the option of purchasing a handheld aviation radio. There are two main reasons why I'm considering this: listen and learn from radio comms and a backup radio in my flight bag.

However, I have some hesitation points.

First, can a student pilot purchase a handheld radio? Many moons ago I held an amateur radio licence and one needed to quote a licence number to purchase a radio. Is this the same in aviation? You just quote an ARN even if you are a student?

Second, is it worth while? Is the reception range/functionality and benefits which may come from a handheld worth the cost of purchase? In terms of the learning part the cost has to be weighed up against the low cost option of LiveATC, which is good but confusing as they combine frequencies and doesn't have much CTAF coverage. And in terms of a backup, has anyone had a comm failure and would have liked a handheld backup?

And if you think this is a good thing to pursue, any recommendations of what to buy?

Questions:

1. How far away from the airport tower will you be listening?

2. Do you want to use the radio for post licence activities such as requesting ground start-up, clearances and as an in-cockpit backup for when you won't or can't use ships power?

If a scanner will work where you want to listen from, the two way versions will be twice the price but you will use it more.

I am making do with a TTI TSC100 RA scanner but unfortunately I am near a hill so I can receive AERIS, Arrivals and aircraft overhead but not the tower (sometimes barely). The scanning function isn't great but it does what I need it do

I'm thinking about the option of purchasing a handheld aviation radio. There are two main reasons why I'm considering this: listen and learn from radio comms and a backup radio in my flight bag.However, I have some hesitation points.

First, can a student pilot purchase a handheld radio? Many moons ago I held an amateur radio licence and one needed to quote a licence number to purchase a radio. Is this the same in aviation? You just quote an ARN even if you are a student?

Second, is it worth while? Is the reception range/functionality and benefits which may come from a handheld worth the cost of purchase? In terms of the learning part the cost has to be weighed up against the low cost option of LiveATC, which is good but confusing as they combine frequencies and doesn't have much CTAF coverage. And in terms of a backup, has anyone had a comm failure and would have liked a handheld backup?

And if you think this is a good thing to pursue, any recommendations of what to buy?

Strangely anyone can buy an Airband Radio and subsequently Transmit. The mind boggles (don't let the d1ckheads know)

PS: Best price Icom A15 in our Pilot Shop

Icom IC-A15 AUS

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recently bought a hand held scanner. I was very glad it was not a transmitter when my 5 year old got hold of it and started yelling "hello...hello" every time there was a transmission.

• Haha 1

I have a handheld permanently in my Corby. It is a Vertex VXA150.

Nothing wrong with it at all. It works just as well as the Icom A200 in my RV.

I also have a handheld Icom ICA22. It works well and also has VOR capability, but the Icom battery is useless. I have to power it from the planes 12V. It was used at Old Station for marshalling purposes with a small 12V lead acid battery.

Hand held is the way to go especially for a student who can listen in anywhere and learn the procedures.

• Agree 3

I agree with Nobody

I have both a handheld and use ATC for the web based application.

To keep cost down and to listen to airports from all over Australia ATC would be my selection. You can get departures, arrivals, smc so you will certainly pick up lots.

• Informative 1

1. How far away from the airport tower will you be listening?2. Do you want to use the radio for post licence activities such as requesting ground start-up, clearances and as an in-cockpit backup for when you won't or can't use ships power?

1. At home I'm 1/2 way up Mt Coot-tha (15 mins walk to the Summit cafe). We are on the SE side so may get OK signals from over the city but will be blocked from the north and west. My plan was, after watching a youtube video on this, to dedicate some time and travel to a CTAF to monitor transmissions and "score" them to think about what was good and bad. Reception strength is one of the very grey areas of this for me. Will I need to travel far from home to actually receive anything comprehendible?

2. Well, that wasn't really the plan. It was more of a backup option to have in my flight bag. But I guess what you are suggesting is an option.

To keep cost down and to listen to airports from all over Australia ATC would be my selection. You can get departures, arrivals, smc so you will certainly pick up lots.

LiveATC is great. But one thing that is awfully confusing is the way that multiple stations are put on top of each other. So for busy fields you will want to listen to an approach controller but they will get stepped on by ground just when you want to hear them and you will miss what actually happened. Same with the few CTAFs they have, they get stepped on by the other frequencies grouped together. Also, there's no chance to practise the fine art of rapid comprehension of ATIS. So it's great that LiveATC is there, it also has a few drawbacks for learning.

A handheld for backup is a really good idea. On a recent trip to the outback, one member of our group suffered a radio failure. Apart from scaring the rest of us half to death worrying whether we'd lost them, there was the problem of what to do for the rest of the trip. Among the group there were several handheld radios carried for just this purpose and the pilot concerned was able to rig one with a lashed up adapter to his headsets and continue the trip with that. It worked well and saved the day.

I'm thinking about the option of purchasing a handheld aviation radio. There are two main reasons why I'm considering this: listen and learn from radio comms and a backup radio in my flight bag.However, I have some hesitation points.

Yes

I am ham

I have an Icon A20.

I have thrown three alternator belts in my flying life.

I have had alternator failure out of Sydney in IMC and used the A20 to track in on the for to wagga.

I went to inland outback last week to maralinga and had thevA20 and two extra charged batteries and a fig lighter plug, also have the adaptor to plug plane headset into it.

Think of pal lights and alternator failure at night, you would not need to ask if a $300 radio might save your life.

Its also good to have as pre flight tool to get aeib without starting your engine.

• Helpful 1

Also, there's no chance to practise the fine art of rapid comprehension of ATIS.

You can actually get some airport's ATIS feeds by calling a landline phone number that just loops the current ATIS. I usually call and listen on the drive in to the airport :)