Question about new licence

So I was just wondering how long it takes RA-Aus to process a new licence? Are we talking CASA times? Like 6 weeks or more? And if I've passed my flight test and all my exams do I need to wait for the piece of plastic to be sent or am I legal to fly now? I know I could still fly solo under my student licence but just wondering

So I was just wondering how long it takes RA-Aus to process a new licence? Are we talking CASA times? Like 6 weeks or more? And if I've passed my flight test and all my exams do I need to wait for the piece of plastic to be sent or am I legal to fly now? I know I could still fly solo under my student licence but just wondering

With CASA you can fly from the moment the logbook is signed and you dont have to wait for paper licence, not sure on RAA

You can fly on your logbook once the CFI puts his mark in it. In my case I had my certificate in 5 days. I suppose it will depend if your school sends the paperwork straight of. In my case it was faxed within minutes of me passing the test.

• Agree 1

Thanks Geoff13 that's kinda what I was wondering.. If they take months or a week or two. Kinda dumb but I'm really excited to get the actual licence hahaha will make it more real I guess :)

I figured once RA-Aus processed it my details on my Ra-Aus login would be changed to show I have a licence. I notice on there it had total hours members have flown since January... Is there a way to log your hours with Ra-Aus? Do ppl actually do this or are they estimating these numbers?

As others have said, once your CFI has signed your logbook as passed your certificate, you are good to fly. When I got mine, I booked the plane for the very next day!Turn around for the arrival of your Pilot Certificate may be a bit of a wait at this time. It was about a week when I got mine in February. But I passed my Cross Country Endorsement over 2 weeks ago and it has not even listed on my member portal yet. I rang them to verify everything was in order, and they said is is, but they are a bit snowed under with the paperwork at the moment. Again, my CFI's signed entry in my logbook is my authority to fly XC.

Thanks Geoff13 that's kinda what I was wondering.. If they take months or a week or two. Kinda dumb but I'm really excited to get the actual licence hahaha will make it more real I guess :)I figured once RA-Aus processed it my details on my Ra-Aus login would be changed to show I have a licence. I notice on there it had total hours members have flown since January... Is there a way to log your hours with Ra-Aus? Do ppl actually do this or are they estimating these numbers?

I went to a different school the day after my test and hired a plane and flew it. It was a little bit more complex than that but essentially that is what I did. I understand your feeling of wanting the certificate, but the fact is you are now a certificated pilot and no one can stop you from flying. It is an awesome feeling enjoy every moment of it.

• Agree 4

I must be one of the lucky ones, from medicals to PPL and different endoresments i have never had to wait longer than a month to recieve.

Lucky guy! I think it was about three months for my medical because I have asthma. It took that long to establish I have a puffer. Lol

I before e except after c.

That's weird!

It is one rule that I never got at school because of all the exceptions but I must admit I never remember being taught the last part of the rule which clears up a lot of the exceptions!

The complete rule is "I before E except after C and when sounded like A as in neighbour and weigh"

This is some copy paste showing the "sounded like A" examples

heir

neighbor

reign

rein

skein

surveillance

their

veil

vein

weigh

Some more copy and paste explaining the "sounding like A" words that don't sound like A

Note: The words their and heir can be learned with this list. For one thing, the learner can associate theirwith they, which is pronounced with long a. For another, their is one of those high-frequency words that anyone who reads and writes at all should be able to master by completion of second grade. Heir can be learned with the mnemonic device of a “spelling pronunciation” that addresses the silent h as well as the ei spelling.

But we still have these

Exceptions to the Rule

caffeine

counterfeit

either

forfeit

foreign

heifer

leisure

neither

sovereign

seized

weird

• Like 1

Yes, English is a weird language. A lot of what I was taught in the 60's isn't taught because of the dumbing down of education over the last thirty years. However, Professor Julius Sumner Miller thought education was being dumbed down over 60 years ago!

Yes, English is a weird language. A lot of what I was taught in the 60's isn't taught because of the dumbing down of education over the last thirty years. However, Professor Julius Sumner Miller thought education was being dumbed down over 60 years ago!

As a science excursion, my science class went to one of his seminars that he was hosting in the late '70's. He was one smart man. I didn't quite understand what he was saying, and my science teacher admitted he didn't either. He thought on a much higher plane. He went on to be the originator of my nick name when I was in the army.... "Cadbury Man" because I could only handle "a glass and a half" before I was wasted..... I could've been called worse.

Tony

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 5 weeks so far and still no licence... I did get in touch with Ra-Aus though to confirm they received my paper work and all is good for me to fly, which they did and I am.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Teachers have probably worked out that it is better to teach good maths and science than to replicate bad, illogical spelling perverted by dictionary compilers who should have known better. We should have more science and less spelling circuses. Great, they can spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious but can they fill in a simple tax return???

• Agree 1

As a former teacher with over a decade in High Schools, I will tell you confidently nothing has been dumbed down. The syllabus is harder and fuller than ever. Teachers are brighter and more committed than ever and they work incredible hours.

Smart kids are achieving better than ever, but 30+ years with no major recession has produced a generation of others that can't see the value in education. Trades became the new cash cow and kids are told by parents and peers they could fly through life by leaving in year 10 and not studying. I hope for their sake that is the case.

The casualisation of the work force has also led many to question the value of a degree or higher education. This filters through into a lack of student motivation for results in secondary schools.

• Agree 1

With CASA you can fly from the moment the logbook is signed and you dont have to wait for paper licence, not sure on RAA

Robbo

Apparently not, a mate of mine just finished his PPL (H) CASA won't issue a licence until his ASIC is processed and he is not allowed to fly. First I've heard of this but he is a new PPL so not sure.

Aldo

• Agree 1

Yes, you must have either an ASIC or AVID in order to be able to use the privileges of your CASA licence.

I just renewed mine and it was $210 from memory. Medical due December so I have to do the new online application before seeing my DAME.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Well I'll add my 2 cents to the CASA and AVID ASIC thing, I just did my medical and BFR for PPL and I don't have a valid ID and I've received my new Part 61 license, sure I've had one in the past but it expired many years ago.

And I'll also add, got told by instructor don't hold your breath for the paperwork from casa but obviously with logbook and old license endorsed I'm good to fly, but about 10 days later pleasantly surprised to find the new license in my letterbox from CASA!

RobboApparently not, a mate of mine just finished his PPL (H) CASA won't issue a licence until his ASIC is processed and he is not allowed to fly. First I've heard of this but he is a new PPL so not sure.

Aldo

One would assume you would already have an asic if your at ppl level.

One would assume you would already have an asic if your at ppl level.

Robbo

No did his training straight through instructor lived at home with him, previous flying was pilot certificate no ASIC no licence issued.

Aldo

• Informative 1