Radial-engined Celebrity Biplane

Riley

Here-in short footage of the initial test flight of Celebrity 19-6900 near Perth, WA after many months of skinned knuckles, bad language, many w/shop hours and some small financial input. Work completed since it's arrival as a non-flyer fm the USA comprised:

- re-power to 7 cyl radial engine

- full electrical rewire

- rebuilt interior of both cockpits w/ leather upholstry and tonneau covers

- new instrument panels fore & aft

- addition of turtledeck head rest.

- larger wheels/brakes

- sign written - "Double Dip" (much to my wife's annoyance but the devil made me do it)

Some minor adjustments being done and a fair amount of familiarization necessary (it handles not quite like the Aeronca Champ) but am very pleased & happy with the outcome. cheers

• Like 1

Here-in short footage of the initial test flight of Celebrity 19-6900 near Perth, WA after many months of skinned knuckles, bad language, many w/shop hours and some small financial input. Work completed since it's arrival as a non-flyer fm the USA comprised:- re-power to 7 cyl radial engine

- full electrical rewire

- rebuilt interior of both cockpits w/ leather upholstry and tonneau covers

- new instrument panels fore & aft

- addition of turtledeck head rest.

- larger wheels/brakes

- sign written - "Double Dip" (much to my wife's annoyance but the devil made me do it)

Some minor adjustments being done and a fair amount of familiarization necessary (it handles not quite like the Aeronca Champ) but am very pleased & happy with the outcome. cheers

Dumbass has won the day in that the videos went somewhere other than here. Apologies to all. Will recruit some learned help and try again later. cheers

• Like 2

G'day Riley. Congratulations on your new aircraft. Co-incidentally my home built Celebrity 19-8739 first flew about a week ago. A build time of about 3 years. As far as I know our aircraft and Derek Dwyer's are the only 3 of type in OZ. I would love to have your and Derek's power plant - mine has a Subaru EA81. The Celebrity performs beautifully and is a joy to fly. I will download a photo or two on the web site as soon as I can find somebody cleverer than I at the keyboard! Enjoy your creation! Cheers.

G'day Riley. Congratulations on your new aircraft. Co-incidentally my home built Celebrity 19-8739 first flew about a week ago. A build time of about 3 years. As far as I know our aircraft and Derek Dwyer's are the only 3 of type in OZ. I would love to have your and Derek's power plant - mine has a Subaru EA81. The Celebrity performs beautifully and is a joy to fly. I will download a photo or two on the web site as soon as I can find somebody cleverer than I at the keyboard! Enjoy your creation! Cheers.

Great to learn that there is another FFP Celebrity in the country. In addition to we three, Phil Ritchie in Grange, SA is well advanced on his Celebrity with a radial to be fitted. His build blog is very graphic and he's sure to end up with a much more 'speccy' machine than my 19-6900 which, like an old stock pony, was 'ridden hard and put away wet' thru the 4 previous owners in the USA. I'm still awaiting technical help in posting the video but in the interim, will eagerly anticipate seeing your photos. Cheers

Hmm, nice video but would have been so much better with nice engine sounds rather than the guitar. Isn't it annoying when other people totally disregard the fact that one is filming something and they just walk across the shot. End of rant. Thanks again Riley.

• Agree 1

yes - pilots, petrol heads and mechanics would rather listen to how good that radial sound is

............. the majority of the rest would probably prefer the music - doubt you would go to an aviation site to listen to music though

Hmm, nice video but would have been so much better with nice engine sounds rather than the guitar. Isn't it annoying when other people totally disregard the fact that one is filming something and they just walk across the shot. End of rant. Thanks again Riley.

I concur with your thoughts on the string-plucking, 'not-so-background' music but the footage was shot and reproduced into video form by a casual bystander so I'm very happy to accept the outcome. Turn the sound down and make 'potato-potato-potato' radial rumblings of your own 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif. Can't do much about the 'inner-ear' shots of the pedestrian great unwashed tho. cheers

• Like 1

Great Riley. I thought about one of these years ago. Are FFP still in business, I thought they had closed down.

Looks like the next best thing to as Stearman and cheaper to run as well.

Great Riley. I thought about one of these years ago. Are FFP still in business, I thought they had closed down.Looks like the next best thing to as Stearman and cheaper to run as well.

Yeah, if you stretch your imagination it kinda looks like a Stearman (at least the livery does). The american FFP was purchased by one of their sub-contract suppliers about two (?) years back and have relocated to London, Ontario near Toronto. My understanding is that they've gone ahead at a great rate of knots - new premises, additional staff etc. The new owner Dave Hertner, was certainly a great help to me in my efforts to bring the Celebrity back to life. cheers