UL engines

diesel

A friend put a new UL engine into his new plane.

Possibly a hundred flight time and engine failure on take off.

Ignition break down.

Quite some time has gone by and no factory backup or interest.

Is he the only one?

Chas

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

A friend put a new UL engine into his new plane.Possibly a hundred flight time and engine failure on take off.

Ignition break down.

Is he the only one?

Chas

How much time has gone by, I mean, does that encompass the Xmas period that might have some bearing on it, eg; business closed for the holidays?

A friend put a new UL engine into his new plane.Possibly a hundred flight time and engine failure on take off.

Ignition break down.

Is he the only one?

Chas

So my questions would be along the lines if he put a new UL Engine into his new plane, was it a home built?

If so how old was the engine time wise? As we all know these builds often take longer than we think.

Was the engine installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions?

If it was up to 100 hours then for the average RAA pilot that is 2 years with a minimum of 2 annual inspections. so how long does the manufacturer need to provide warranty?

So my point is we need far more info before determining if the manufacturer should respond?

• Agree 1

The specs say Dual electronic ignition systems. The company would not be the manufacturers of these (if they are the cause). Liability would vary in different countries. Australia has it's own rules which over ride others if there's a contested decision. Failure of BOTH seems odd. To all intents the product seems to be a quality one . (or they aim to be). Nev

So my questions would be along the lines if he put a new UL Engine into his new plane, was it a home built?If so how old was the engine time wise? As we all know these builds often take longer than we think.

Was the engine installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions?

If it was up to 100 hours then for the average RAA pilot that is 2 years with a minimum of 2 annual inspections. so how long does the manufacturer need to provide warranty?

So my point is we need far more info before determining if the manufacturer should respond?

The aircraft is a homebuilt but was finished professionally.

Engine brand new at end of the build.

All he wants to know is why it failed, and what to fix it with.

In NZ not land of oz.

Chas

Did the ignition wiring installation comply fully with the ULp service bulletin re the improperly installed wiring examples in NZ where moisture ran down the ducting and corroded the terminals ?

or is it something else.? why would he be lining up a trip to the states? ULP is in Europe.

• Agree 2

This I do not know.

The owner is quite a private person trying to do it right.

When I opened the posting I was looking for experience with you guys so I could pass on.

Chas midnight here so happy new year.

• Like 1

Happy New Year to you to.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Kiwi

Hey K1W1, Happy New Year m8!!!!!

Your old friend Rocky is going to help out with getting the 582 back together...how good is that!

Woolooman International Airport is looking good, mostly grass now, nearly ready but a few more 'rock runs' to make sure it's safe - but who will be the first Drifter Driver to land here? Or the first pilot of any aircraft for that matter. Up until now, only RC aircraft have used it.

kiwi replies - NOT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah fair enuff m8 it is a little scary - but not as scary as The Scary Place....

Hope you change your mind about visiting here for the Drifter Weekend some time later this year. Would like to see some aircraft doing practice approaches, might put a post somewhere else on the forum.

BP

Hey K1W1, Happy New Year m8!!!!!Your old friend Rocky is going to help out with getting the 582 back together...how good is that!

Woolooman International Airport is looking good, mostly grass now, nearly ready but a few more 'rock runs' to make sure it's safe - but who will be the first Drifter Driver to land here? Or the first pilot of any aircraft for that matter. Up until now, only RC aircraft have used it.

kiwi replies - NOT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ah fair enuff m8 it is a little scary - but not as scary as The Scary Place....

Hope you change your mind about visiting here for the Drifter Weekend some time later this year. Would like to see some aircraft doing practice approaches, might put a post somewhere else on the forum.

BP

Thanks, but no thanks Dave..... the "boys" aren't big enough for your airstrip 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Happy New Year.

Kiwi.

Ah come on Kiwi - do you reckon Woolooman International is scarier than Walkers Scary Place? Anyway, I heard your 'boys' have done well and Baaarbara or Baaasil is about to join the Drifter Society...is that right?

Tonxy