Helicopter down at Welcamp school

I was driving past the wellcamp school this afternoon, and saw a helicopter upside down about 60mtrs from the Welcamp school Queensland. The crash site is approx 3klms northeast of the Welcamp Airfield.. Does anyone know what happened and are the crew ok

I was driving past the wellcamp school this afternoon, and saw a helicopter upside down about 60mtrs from the Welcamp school Queensland. The crash site is approx 3klms northeast of the Welcamp Airfield.. Does anyone know what happened and are the crew ok

Some people will do anything to stay away from it.

The pilot is OK (I was talking to him yesterday) but the chopper is a little worse for wear. Strong winds were not the cause, according to the pilot as he was approaching his home a line of rain and failing light prevented him from being able to get there so he decided to put down in a paddock about a mile from his home, as he approached the ground (about a foot off the ground) the entire inside of the cabin fogged over making it a total white out from inside the cab. Being so close to the ground and having power lines in the vicinity he elected to put it on the ground, but he had some left drift as he did so and as the skid contacted the ground it dug in and flipped it over.

Aldo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Don't often see small choppers flying about in the dark..

Here (about 10nm from the incident in question) we see B206s flying around at all times (up to midnight), as well as Tigers, MRH 90, Blackhawk and Super Puma. Probably does help when the pilots have NVGs though.041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif ..........004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gifCanopy white out is something that concerns me though, do some of the smaller aircraft have this issue when changing altitude from chilled environment into a warmer layer?

I have experienced it often on a motorcycle when riding in hollows full of cold then topping a hill to have my visor completely white out.

Having flown Drifters, it's not a problem, ( I have had it happen on a cold morning) you just look over the top, what do you do when you can't do that?

If it happened at the time the witness said, it was after last light. Don't often see small choppers flying about in the dark. Must be quite hard to judge touch down and drift, more so in adverse weather.

Being a six seat squirrel it's quite a large chopper... I'm just seriously surprised and very glad at that, that it didn't beat itself to death as most choppers do.