Viking 130hp Honda Engine.

waraton

A friend of mine has just finished visiting Sun and Fun. He has a eggenfelner suburu engine in his RV8 and it goes like stink. Trevor although had quite a few issues at the time and it took several years to get it all sorted. I asked him to look over the 130 while he was there and after talking to eggie for quite a bit about previous experiences and now with the Viking...my mate seems to think eggie has changed and is actually trying to do good things. He looked over the engine and said it looked pretty darn good and seemed to be well done all except the intake was behind the engine so would be getting hot air. The engine was in a Rans S7 its the one quite a few videos have just come out on. So Trev's uptake on it all was he thinks it looks pretty reasonable ...especially for the money

• Informative 2

A friend of mine has just finished visiting Sun and Fun. He has a eggenfelner suburu engine in his RV8 and it goes like stink. Trevor although had quite a few issues at the time and it took several years to get it all sorted. I asked him to look over the 130 while he was there and after talking to eggie for quite a bit about previous experiences and now with the Viking...my mate seems to think eggie has changed and is actually trying to do good things. He looked over the engine and said it looked pretty darn good and seemed to be well done all except the intake was behind the engine so would be getting hot air. The engine was in a Rans S7 its the one quite a few videos have just come out on. So Trev's uptake on it all was he thinks it looks pretty reasonable ...especially for the money

I will have an open mind when I start my build but the Viking 130 is a contender.

A real timing chain- none of this belt crap that breaks and kills everything.

One of the reasons I bought my Isuzu. Life-of-engine timing chain.

I know of one ford ranger stuck in the middle of outback QLD (with caravan) with trashed engine from a broken belt.

It was changed by a ford dealer 10 000kms previously. Owner doing the "right thing" and having it changed before the trip!!!

Yep, gotta hate a cam belt.

A mate just has his replaced and the fool mechanic forgot to time it- One dead diesel van and a huge bill- now in court.

Whats better than a timing chain?

A duel row timing chain- like old BMW sixes- never break and even at 400k plus kms are still within spec. Meanwhile most toyopets are on the fifth belt- the cost adds up hugely over lifetime of a car and they do almost always kill the motor on failure or even slipping a tooth.

Just like motorbike engines- if it has gear or chain driven cams- cool.

If it has belts- get some lube and prepare for rodgering by a dealer.

Whats better than a timing chain?

Generally preferable over a belt, but there is many uber reliable belt engines out there, and pizz poor chain engines - 2.6 Mitsubishi or V6 Commodore anyone?

The main link back to chains now is they need every mm of room under the bonnet these days and chains are much shorter engines than belts.

Oh and this might horrify you, the latest Ecoboost Fords are getting internal belts that run in the oil.

• Informative 1

Belts that run in oil? that is different. I guess it is a real good high temp kevlar type belt. Striving for compactness and weight reduction can lead to many paths.

However Ford really did a good job with the eco boost so it might be Okay.

Bex you mentioned the holdin together V6 and the Mitsushitsu engine- nasty stuff. I have seen rubber bands hold tension better.

Motors from a time that Holden and Mitsu proved Australia was run by accountants and real engineers were kept locked bound and gagged in the broom closet.

When a first gen Hyundai excel sold by Alan Bond was far more reliable....................the mind boggles.

One of the best things about Chinese and Korean stuff these days is they accepted German engineering know how happily- they accepted the Germans know and followed the path. It has meant some factories are pure german bar some local staff.

You don't see the chinese throwing money at the Americans or Us to build engines.

I know I digress and off topic, but I would happily have a chinese or korean built motor if it is built with all the good stuff engineering/metals wise whether it is a German, Italian or Japanese design/technology.

As a further tangent- most of the mega high pressure you beaut injection systems are actually Italian and Fiat group gets a lovely royalty for everyone sold. That is why the euro's have kicked Japans butt for diesels and economy /power for petrol.

I would happily look at using a Fit/civic motor but think Jan is asking too much much for a 2nd hand motor and re-drive set up.

Back to the vid motor, just look at how nasty the packaging is for the turbo /exhaust- I bet a smoother flowing setup would liberate a few ponys and should be a easy mod with no downside. It has a small turbo- it wants bugger all restriction not a cramped setup.

What HP figure would be good for this motor in a aircraft, lower the revs and push for a fat torque curve and 140-150hp could be happily provided or more for WAR power settings.

Described by Viking as the weight after a test run including oil, 102kg. By comparison CAMit 3300 82 kg (dry), Jabiru 3300 83.5kg (ramp).

The Jabiru firewall forward package from Viking currently being worked on, according to their forum.

• Like 2

Described by Viking as the weight after a test run including oil, 102kg. By comparison CAMit 3300 82 kg (dry), Jabiru 3300 83.5kg (ramp).

100kg and no oil cooler or radiator and piping yet or exhaust

We'll call it 110kgs installed.

Very interesting to me as I can buy Toyota 1.8 1ZZ engines brand new very cheap, and I know I can do 100~105kgs all up. The Toyota complete long is 67 kgs. It would be 100hp cruise at a lower rpm mark, 4500, due to the larger capacity.

Until now I thought the Honda was lighter than that, great to finally see one hanging on scales.

We'll call it 110kgs installed.Very interesting to me as I can buy Toyota 1.8 1ZZ engines brand new very cheap, and I know I can do 100~105kgs all up. The Toyota complete long is 67 kgs. It would be 100hp cruise at a lower rpm mark, 4500, due to the larger capacity.

Until now I thought the Honda was lighter than that, great to finally see one hanging on scales.

It has been a long time. I have asked direct questions from Viking and have never gotten a straight answer about the weight of the Viking 130.

Now we know.

How does this compare to a 100 hp Row-Tax? I guess the Viking 130 is about 15 kg heavier.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Viking yesterday......

Spring Sale

Next 6 Viking 130 engines are now only $8,000!

Click Here To make deposit

Be sure to get your Viking 130 HP Engine Now

*Must be paid in Full by May 20, 2017.

Visit Viking Aircraft Engine Forum at: http://vikingaircraftengines.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

Didn't say what is included, that works out to be around $10,600 AUD.

• Like 1

From Viking yesterday......Spring Sale

Next 6 Viking 130 engines are now only $8,000!

Click Here To make deposit

Be sure to get your Viking 130 HP Engine Now

*Must be paid in Full by May 20, 2017.

Visit Viking Aircraft Engine Forum at: Home

Didn't say what is included, that works out to be around $10,600 AUD.

There is still an expensive FWF package that has to be ordered with this engine. The cost could easily double by the time it has landed Down Under ready to be installed in your aircraft.

FWF is $8000 engine $8000,$16000 U.S plus shipping.What is a rotax 914 worth.

ROTAX 914 UL TURBO | 115 HP ENGINE from California Power Systems

$26995 (US, Plus Shipping and GST)

The 912 on the other hand is only $16995. (US, Plus Shipping and GST)

ROTAX 912 ULS | 100 HP ENGINE from California Power Systems

The 912 on the other hand is only $16995. (US, Plus Shipping and GST)

ROTAX 912 ULS | 100 HP ENGINE from California Power Systems

Bloody hell, neither are very clear on what it's really going to cost. Presumably the Viking's $8000 (WTH?) includes everything such as radiator. But the Rotax apparently doesn't ..

air intake system - (Purchased Separately)

exhaust system - 973-674 (Purchased Separately)

external alternator - 887-254 (Purchased Separately)

engine suspension frame - 886-561 (Purchased Separately)

air guide hood - 997-083 (Purchased Separately)

airbox - 667-355 (Purchased Separately)

Was reading through the viking forum and they mention about developing the Honda 1.L ,turbo 3cyl engine putting out 127hp

I love triples, but they do have a primary balance problem due to their end to end rocking and gap between power cycles. This can lead to an insidious torsional vibration, that you might not even feel, that will see things breaking and falling off your plane.