Viking 130hp Honda Engine.

waraton

I love triples, but they do have a primary balance problem due to their end to end rocking and gap between power cycles. This can lead to an insidious torsional vibration, that you might not even feel, that will see things breaking and falling off your plane.

I would steer clear of any 3 cylinder engine for that reason. I don't want to be checking and tightening things constantly.

Guest pookemon

I was really, really keen to buy a viking for my project. So much so that I flew to Oshkosh to have a look at them and to speak to them about the engine. Jan (?) was there and wasn't particularly interested in talking. There were a few Viking owners there that would talk, and all seemed impressed (though they could have been employees for all I could tell). Jan at one point said "We have a special for Oshkosh - 50% off". I said "Ripper - I'm here to buy one". He then said it was 50% off the competitors price. His "50% off" was the normal listed price on the web site. Since then they've been showing a greatly reduced price - but the FWF has more than taken up the "savings".

Since then I've been thinking about other makes...

Jan is shifty alright, for years he kept on saying that the Viking 110(?) weighed the same as a Jabiru 3300 but all the weight and balances owners kept reporting 20Lb more

I was really, really keen to buy a viking for my project. So much so that I flew to Oshkosh to have a look at them and to speak to them about the engine. Jan (?) was there and wasn't particularly interested in talking. There were a few Viking owners there that would talk, and all seemed impressed (though they could have been employees for all I could tell). Jan at one point said "We have a special for Oshkosh - 50% off". I said "Ripper - I'm here to buy one". He then said it was 50% off the competitors price. His "50% off" was the normal listed price on the web site. Since then they've been showing a greatly reduced price - but the FWF has more than taken up the "savings".Since then I've been thinking about other makes...

"Since then they've been showing a greatly reduced price - but the FWF has more than taken up the "savings"."

That is what I have noticed as well and it concerns me. The net cost of the whole package hasn't really changed much overall.

• Agree 1

I would steer clear of any 3 cylinder engine for that reason. I don't want to be checking and tightening things constantly.

Well rubber mounting seems to be unheard of in light aircraft for some reason, but would suit the purpose.

One idea I had was to turbocharge a Daihatsu Charade CB20 1.0 3 cyl because they had a balance shaft to counter those vibes, and I can still buy them new in China. They also had a Turbo model, 100hp, but they are rare.

• 4 weeks later...

I was intrigued that commercially operated airboat got 4,000 hours out of the engine before it broke. As he said, given it was used to drag nets it'd be operating at full throttle for half hour periods. Seems like a good test platform for an aircraft engine.

He said a few had been delivered to Aus... anyone have one, or know someone using one?

Still, the slant version (which you'd want in anything with a cowling) is US 2000 more than the upright, so that's US 11,000 - AUD approx 15,000 - then freight & import duties etc.

Obviously if you compare to a new Rotax 912 it's a lot cheaper, but I'd be happy to get an ex-flying school one with 1500 hours on it for around 6 - 7k.

Really?. want mine?

I saw your ad and will probably want something exactly like it... in about 5 years.

Unfortunately there's absolutely no point in me buying a motor right now when the airframe is nowhere near finished!

Good luck with your sale.

• Haha 1

That Suzuki engine does look interesting.

Only 1500 TBO at the moment. I suppose they will have to prove the engine to get 2000 TBO.

Many of the spare parts could be replaced at relatively low cost (the parts that are OEM not made by Aeromomentum).

Hope they are successful. The more 'reliable' choices we have, the better.

Rotax are good, but relatively expensive (GA engine not withstanding).

• Agree 1

That Suzuki engine does look interesting.

Thousands of them flying, the G13BB.

Millions of them on the road in hilly China getting soundly thrashed and poorly maintained in overloaded, undergeared mini vans and flatbeds. There would be a few million of them in taxis as well in China, here's Chongqing for example ..

Every yellow car you see is a ChangAn-Suzuki Swift with a G13BB, and the mini vans likely also, my point is they are very, very well proven.

1579883085_Chongqingtaxi.jpg.226d90ce781d34d8c0c73ec39a377ce0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thousands of them flying, the G13BB.Millions of them on the road in hilly China getting soundly thrashed and poorly maintained in overloaded, undergeared mini vans and flatbeds. There would be a few million of them in taxis as well in China, here's Chongqing for example ..

Every yellow car you see is a ChangAn-Suzuki Swift with a G13BB, and the mini vans likely also, my point is they are very, very well proven.

[ATTACH=full]50535[/ATTACH]

Yes, very interesting engine you highlighted Bex ! No Rick-Shaw's in photo !

Suzuki make great engines. I looked at several bike and car engines and almost went with the Suzuki G10 due to its bulletproof reputation and light weight. Adding a PRSU to anything always seem to make it way heavier than a Jabiru.

Suzuki make great engines. I looked at several bike and car engines and almost went with the Suzuki G10 due to its bulletproof reputation and light weight.

The G10 (1.0 liter) is a 3 cylinder family version of the 4 cylinder G13 (1.3 liter). Many Flyers who have used the G10 have stepped up to the G13 due to the vibrations of a 3 cylinder.

People need to be careful which G13 to select, there is a number of them but the G13BB, single camshaft but 4 valve per cylinder, is the ticket.

Be wary of the G13A which is a lower HP, lighter 2 valve version that piques Flyers interest due to that lighter weight, but has a lightweight, hollow non-counterweighted crankshaft known to break.

• Informative 2