Control cables

Has anyone had to replace control cables to comply with AD/General/87.

This requires SS cable terminals to be replaced at 15 years.

I built my own cables 15 years ago and swaged them with a LAME at Maryborough in about two hours to do 10 cables and also test them.

I got a price from FNQ cables to assemble replacements.

$180 per cable, plus material costs. That means starting from $1800.

Aircraft Spruce charge US$6.95 per swage, plus US$10 per 10' of cable. That is what FNQ charge $180 for.

Does anyone know of an Australian cable maker who charges reasonable rates?

Try Air Ag at Bankstown. Phone 02 9796 7181 and ask for Tony.

They are CASA approved etc, etc. You would have to send them your originals, unless there are manufacturer's drawings or other data for each cable.

OME

Hire a swage machine at about $60 day , I did 75 swages in 1 day on 4.5mm ss cable easy as

Hi Gareth, where did you hire the swage machine? Was it a "roller" type or "nicopress" tool? I've heard that some yachting supply / shipwrights can do "roller" swaging. Rgds, Bill

Hi Bill,It was a die type press ,the area that it presses is 30mm in the die when i have used the same tool when making steering and rudder cables , i have also swaged 8mm ss wire to tension for cyclone cables very strong ,but you must tension until the release valve in the tool releases

cheers Gareth

• Like 1

AD 87 does refer to stainless steel fitting not copper type. It relates to the the stress corrosion that Stainless is very prone to. Very common on yacht fitting, most insurance companies won't insure yachts with stays over ten years old, some less! Fittings can look perfect on the outside and be rotten inside.

The AD is not referring to the cable, it's the fittings.

That's my take on it. Cheers, Brian

AD/GENERAL/87 Primary Flight Control 2/2015 Cable Assembly Retirement

Applicability:

This AD applies to any aircraft fitted with primary flight control cable assemblies using terminals constructed of SAE-AISI 303 Se or SAE-AISI 304 stainless steel which have total time in service of, or exceeding, 15 years unless the:

1. (a) aircraft is maintained to MSG-3 methodology; or

2. (b) instructionsforcontinuingairworthinessfortheaircraftspecifiesalifelimit for the primary flight control cable assemblies that is less than 15 years of total time in service and the instructions are complied with.

Note: Affected terminals include, but are not limited to, terminals manufactured to MS20658 (AN658), MS20667 (AN667), MS20668 (AN668), MS21259 (AN666) and MS21260 (AN669 or NAS650), which may be stamped on the terminal.

Thanks Peter, I have phoned them and they seem to be nowhere near as expensive as FNQ Cables.

I doubt that they will be as cheap as Aircraft Spruce, but I am willing to pay more for local, but not $180 per cable, plus labour and parts which was the FNQ price.

• 1 month later...