CHT Gauge with audio warning function

Hi All,

Is anyone able to recommend an electronic CHT gauge which also has an audio overheat alarm function?

Ideally something with dual readouts for the rear two of four cylinders.

Thanks

Laurie

Hi All,Is anyone able to recommend an electronic CHT gauge which also has an audio overheat alarm function?

Ideally something with dual readouts for the rear two of four cylinders.

Thanks

Laurie

I have the MGL combined CHT/EGT dial which flashes a red light if preset limits are reached but i havent heard of an AUDIO alarm one.

• Agree 4

I have the MGL combined CHT/EGT dial which flashes a red light if preset limits are reached but i havent heard of an AUDIO alarm one.

In a noisy cockpit, I'll take a light over an audio alert any day.

Our good forum member Kyle Communications could tell you, I am sure, but I suspect that a piezo tweeter could be hooked up to the warning light circuit.

FWIW, (even for a noisy cockpit), there are certain circumstances where an audio warning is (almost) mandatory. One ( and this may be the ONLY one, I am not all that familiar with the FAA requirements) is the FAA requirement for stall warning devices to have a 'warning signal) that does not require the pilot's eyes to be on the panel (which could be a stick-shaker..). We intend putting an AoA indicator on our Jabiru, (as our replacement wings for the Jab. we are re-building didn't have the standard Jab. stall warning horn take-off, long story) and ordered a nifty kit from the USA: AOA_kit

We contacted the manufacturer and asked if it was possible to add an audio output: he sent us the kit complete with a piezo tweeter and the leads for same soldered onto the circuit board - for no extra charge! ( which is what I consider exemplary Customer Service!) Since the kit only drives leds, as you can see, I assume, from my very slight knowledge of electronics, that the piezo tweeter requires bugger-all current. The kit itself is very small and tidy and will be placed on the top of the panel well in eye-line, but since I have a deeply (and it seems, irreversible..) ingrained habit of side-slipping my final approach due to my gliding experience, the audio addition is very welcomed by me.

As mentioned by Roscoe, above, the MGL instruments (well, certainly the Extreme Mini MGL EFIS/EMIS we intend to install) has a general warning light function for 'out-of-limits' conditions, that we intend to put between the ASI and the A/H on the panel (we will be using the FAA required 'eye-sight' instrument line-up of ASI, AH, and Altimeter in front of the PIC and top line position. That serves as a warning to look at the MGL display, to see what is out-of-limits, when doing a normal scan of the horizon through the primary flight instruments regime.

I do not have power flying experience sufficient to make informed comment, but in gliding, one looks out the front ALL the time. Hence, the ubiquitous audio output from the Vario ( the sensitive climb/descent instrument). Gliders- even the most sophisticated, hugely-expensive ones - have a HUD instrument to tell you if you are flying coordinated for turn and slip: it's a small length of wool attached to the canopy right in the middle of your eye-line outside. For how well it works - and it is incredibly sensitive- watch: Flying like an eagle In that video ,you will hear the audio/Vario output as well.

Such a pity it won't work on any aircraft with a tractor engine. Not only is it cost-effective - you can replace it with a few cents worth of new wool string - but you can choose your colour, and it's Safe for the Kiddies as well!.

Thanks for the feedback.

The MGL seems like what I was looking for with just two CHT channels. Flashing light would suffice although years ago I used one with an audio warning.

This came in handy for when your attention was outside and usually when engine management can suffer)

Its for a Limbach (air cooled) so unfortunately the automotive units designed around liquid cooled aren't suitable as they don't seem to have a CHT range up to the 200C that we need.

Hi Lozzer,

You really need the warning in your headset and a buzzer for when you are in glider mode.

Let me know what you end up getting.

Ray

Why not contact the "Engine guard" company and see if they can adapt a system to your needs?

They look like an aussie (QLD) company.

Perhaps you'll put them onto a new market....

Thanks all for the info.

I've made enquiries about a four channel MGL with just a light alarm but which can be modified readily to accept a buzzer. They also record max temps reached.

Currently black and white versions only but colour version being released in a couple of weeks.

belite electronics have some impressive instruments where the LED's changes color when the engine gets out of preset parameters.

Not sure if they have an audible warning though