2006 Cessna 172

I used to hire a C172 with a 180 engine. That engine ran out of time and was replaced with a 160hp. I only hired it once more. The change in performance was dramatic.

Looking at my engine info I cannot find what the L in IO-320L2A means The 2 is fixed pitch and A is accessories at the rear of the engine, but my data must be outdated.

• Winner 1

Real figures for a J230 if you are interested;123kts TAS any weight (up to RAA/LSA limit of 600kgs) any altitude up to around 7000ft (I rarely operate it above that height) @ 24 ltrs / hr. at 2900rpm.

Come on Frank you should know better than to try and confuse a discussion with facts, especially if they tend to make Jabiru look good.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Real figures for a J230 if you are interested;123kts TAS any weight (up to RAA/LSA limit of 600kgs) any altitude up to around 7000ft (I rarely operate it above that height) @ 24 ltrs / hr. at 2900rpm.

Terrific!!

The drag won't vary for a given weight

Whilst the parasitic drag will not change with weight, the total drag will.

To generate the extra lift required for additional weight, the wing must be at a higher angle of attack for any given airspeed, which will increase the form drag, as at a higher AoA the airflow sees an increased frontal area.

Secondly, the induced drag is a direct function of lift, thus more lift = more induced drag.

Bruce

That's what I said. You pay for the extra weight if you load it up, with more fuel burn and lower cruise level and slower airspeed possible if you are power limited at the chosen height.. If you fly at the most efficient airspeed, Ie faster for the extra weight the AoA will be the same. You glide achieves the same distance whatever the weight but you fly faster if you are aware of these things. That's why gliders carry water ballast to fly faster. It wrecks your climb though in a powered plane. best AoA is best L/D ratio . Nev