Unlucky fisherman hit by a "glider"

The NZ Herald is reporting (As all informed journalists do) the story about a "glider" (I suppose it was as it was making a forced landing) striking an unlucky fisherman in the head. I hope he is OK.'Crazy unlucky' fisherman knocked unconscious by plane crash-landing at Matata Beach

ISTR a Lancair IV did the same thing a few years ago, albeit with fatal results for the beach goer.

At least this fisherman survived with just a headache and nothing more. I am thankful the injury wasn't much worse.

Kathryn's Report: Zenair CH701, ZK-SCC: Incident occurred July 05, 2017 on Matata Beach, Whakatane, New Zealand

At least this fisherman survived with just a headache and nothing more. I am thankful it wasn't much worse.

The aircraft in question is a ten year old Zenith CH 701 from Opotiki. I am glad that this 701 had vortex generators rather than slats because the slatted version do not glide all that well.

Aviation Photo #2275632: Zenair CH-701 STOL - Untitled

• Informative 1

This was gold for me. My brother goes rock fishing, I warn him that it is dangerous. He counters that flying is dangerous. I sent this to him to prove that I was right, fishing is dangerous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

This was gold for me. My brother goes rock fishing, I warn him that it is dangerous. He counters that flying is dangerous. I sent this to him to prove that I was right, fishing is dangerous.

M....getting 'em on the rocks is more difficult...and definitely more sporting...)