Southern Downs Regional Council

I don't know if anyone from SDRC is likely to read this but I just need to vent a little. I used to run my Jabiru engine on Mogas when it was based at Coominya, when I moved it to Warwick I changed over to Avgas because a) that is what Jabiru advise and b) there is a credit card bowser on the airfield. However it seems that may be a mistake because the bowser is out of order as often as it is working it seems, well, three times for a week at a time in the last few months. Now for me it is a nuisance but I am based there, for anyone flying in and expecting to fuel up it could be a major hassle because the Council don't NOTAM the fact that it is out of order!

QUOTE="derekliston, post: 620251, member: 7684"]I don't know if anyone from SDRC is likely to read this but I just need to vent a little. I used to run my Jabiru engine on Mogas when it was based at Coominya, when I moved it to Warwick I changed over to Avgas because a) that is what Jabiru advise and b) there is a credit card bowser on the airfield. However it seems that may be a mistake because the bowser is out of order as often as it is working it seems, well, three times for a week at a time in the last few months. Now for me it is a nuisance but I am based there, for anyone flying in and expecting to fuel up it could be a major hassle because the Council don't NOTAM the fact that it is out of order!

There's probably a 99.98% chance of no one from the Council rabidly reading your rant, so why not do what most of us do; find out the name of the person in the Council responsible for the airfield, make an appointment, and explain the needs of local and visiting pilots frequency of use, potential amounts of fuel, and potential spend of people visiting the town by air. That may well prompt surprise and a promise to take a closer interest in customer service.

If you get to that reaction, from then on it's a matter of you alerting the council if you find the pump not working; many councils now have a specific email to report an issue such as rubbish dumped, cracked footpaths, potholes, traffic lights not working etc., and the 30 second report immediately generates instructions to the department, and forms part of the Council's KPIs, with utomatic follow-ups and time to fix logged.

• Agree 2

I don't know if anyone from SDRC is likely to read this but I just need to vent a little. I used to run my Jabiru engine on Mogas when it was based at Coominya, when I moved it to Warwick I changed over to Avgas because a) that is what Jabiru advise and b) there is a credit card bowser on the airfield. However it seems that may be a mistake because the bowser is out of order as often as it is working it seems, well, three times for a week at a time in the last few months. Now for me it is a nuisance but I am based there, for anyone flying in and expecting to fuel up it could be a major hassle because the Council don't NOTAM the fact that it is out of order!

There's probably a 99.98% chance of no one from the Council rabidly reading your rant, so why not do what most of us do; find out the name of the person in the Council responsible for the airfield, make an appointment, and explain the needs of local and visiting pilots frequency of use, potential amounts of fuel, and potential spend of people visiting the town by air. That may well prompt surprise and a promise to take a closer interest in customer service.

If you get to that reaction, from then on it's a matter of you alerting the council if you find the pump not working; many councils now have a specific email to report an issue such as rubbish dumped, cracked footpaths, potholes, traffic lights not working etc., and the 30 second report immediately generates instructions to the department, and forms part of the Council's KPIs, with utomatic follow-ups and time to fix logged.

Have tried that in the past. Out of order notices are placed by the council, internally on the window of the bowser hut so they are obviously aware. I have also pointed out the importance of NOTAM but to no avail. I would say that whomsoever is responsible knows little and cares less about aviation!

It is very likely that the bowser is operated by a fuel compamny. I know the one at Monduran is operated by a Townsville company.

Is there any info on the bowser as to who runs it or who to connect for faults.

It is very likely that the bowser is operated by a fuel compamny. I know the one at Monduran is operated by a Townsville company.Is there any info on the bowser as to who runs it or who to connect for faults.

Wanted to check before I replied to this one. Definitely owned and operated by SRDC, their number is 'writ large' across the bowser. I rang them this morning and they said they are waiting for a part from England ( Makes a change from Melbourne) I said they should put out a NOTAM for the benefit of visiting pilots and she said ( I kid you not!) "I should put it on a noticeboard?" Wouldn't you think they would have someone who knows at least a little about aviation?

• Like 1

Wanted to check before I replied to this one. Definitely owned and operated by SRDC, their number is 'writ large' across the bowser. I rang them this morning and they said they are waiting for a part from England ( Makes a change from Melbourne) I said they should put out a NOTAM for the benefit of visiting pilots and she said ( I kid you not!) "I should put it on a noticeboard?" Wouldn't you think they would have someone who knows at least a little about aviation?

No I wouldn't; employees of a Council are locals, and when you visit the field, how often have you seen groups of locals there just gazing out over the empty airfield?

There would be very few Councils in Australia who have any idea of what goes on at their airfield; most probably one of the works, or Parks & Gardens employee is allocated to go and have a look around once a week, and pick up any rubbish of fallen branches.

There's nothing stopping fliers volunteering to help the Council with their expert knowledge, and that's what happens at quite a few places.

East Gippsland Shire council have recently appointed a full time manager responsible for the operation /maint. etc. for their 3 airports. ie. Bairnsdale, Orbost and Mallacoota ...... Bob

...There's nothing stopping fliers volunteering to help the Council with their expert knowledge, and that's what happens at quite a few places.

I agree, Turbs. Most local governments are looking to save money or increase income and many would welcome help from regular users. We should be a bit careful when complaining to the airport owner; they might decide to increase their fees.

(I've sent Derek a PM with the contact of bloke in charge.)

• Like 1

I agree, Turbs. Most local governments are looking to save money or increase income and many would welcome help from regular users. We should be a bit careful when complaining to the airport owner; they might decide to increase their fees.(I've sent Derek a PM with the contact of bloke in charge.)

Councils usually get a steady flow of complaints about the Rates going up when they try to cover their costs, which is why, when an opportunity comes up o sell the land for industrial use (part-Wangaratta + loss of Drage's fantatsic museum) quite often a majority of the Councillors start looking at where they can spend the proceeds.

Volunteering, and ensuring the airfield is cost-neutral is a great way to ensure the airfield is not neglected or sold.

A similar example is the Council Bus, where the Council buys a new, or second had bus and all the community groups use it, clean it and maintain it - win wins all round.

• Agree 1

A notice that, "AVGAS IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE AT THE WARWICK AERODROME" is now up on the council's website. Although it is well-buried on the Aerodromes page, I suppose this is something positive.

A notice that, "AVGAS IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE AT THE WARWICK AERODROME" is now up on the council's website, Although it is well-buried on the Aerodromes page, I suppose this is something positive.

Not really; it should be by NOTAM. Someone could flight plan from, say, Adelaide for refuelling there, and then be stuck with transporting Avgas by road etc.

The council's reply to me about NOTAMs for fuel was, "I understand Airservices will not issue a NOTAM for this type of matter."

I don't know if Airservices issues notices for this or not but the SDRC obviously thinks they won't.

Council is right. ASA will not put out a NOTAM identifying unavailability of fuel for a civil aerodrome unless it is serious, ie flooding in remote areas or something like that. IIIRC, they will do so for MIL airports though.

EDIT: found the source. ASA's NOTAM Manual

• Agree 1

I am told that it will be sorted tomorrow, so I should be able to fill up on Thursday. Bit of a concern really if it can't be NOTAMed, could leave people stuck!

Looks as if it is not considered a safety issue, so there's probably an argument that people would complain about CASA if they were forced to issue a NOTAM when they had a fuel break down, but it can create more than a nuisance if Avgas has to be transported on a flame-proof equipped truck from the next town. (unless you had enough fuel to fly there with 45 mins reserve.)