Glider pilot dies preparing for championship

Very sad

That’s the 4th glider fatality in about a month

Not good for the gliding fraternity losing fellow flyers

Condolences to all the families and friends of those recently lost living out the passion of aviation for which we all love

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

So sad, my thoughts tonight are with the tug pilot who saw it happen, I was flying into Toowoomba this afternoon and heard the mayday call made on the 126.7 CTAF frequency there was no response to the call and he made a second call, I responded to the second call as he sounded extremely distressed saying a glider had just gone nose first into the ground, I relayed the call to BNE centre it took several minutes (or it seemed that long) for the pilot to be able to tell me where he was and who he was so I was then able to pass that onto centre who must have then got emergency services notified and underway.

I hope someone is looking after him tonight, also condolences to the family of the glider pilot.

Aldo

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Helpful 2

I hope someone is looking after him tonight, also condolences to the family of the glider pilot.

Aldo

I hope you also have someone to share with tonight, Aldo. Well done today.

Kaz

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I hope you also have someone to share with tonight, Aldo. Well done today.Kaz

Cheers appreciate that I've had a good chat to my wife (she's also a pilot) about it.

Aldo

• Like 5

So sad, my thoughts tonight are with the tug pilot who saw it happen, I was flying into Toowoomba this afternoon and heard the mayday call made on the 126.7 CTAF frequency there was no response to the call and he made a second call, I responded to the second call as he sounded extremely distressed saying a glider had just gone nose first into the ground, I relayed the call to BNE centre it took several minutes (or it seemed that long) for the pilot to be able to tell me where he was and who he was so I was then able to pass that onto centre who must have then got emergency services notified and underway.I hope someone is looking after him tonight, also condolences to the family of the glider pilot.

Aldo

Thanks Aldo,

That was me.

It was very distressing. Investigations continue.

Robert

• Like 8
  • Informative 1

Thanks Aldo,That was me.

Robert

Robert

Glad to hear that you got back on the ground ok, knew you were short of fuel and was hoping that you were concentrating on flying your aircraft, didn't want to ask too many questions but just enough to let centre know what was happening and get them to start to mobilize things.

I hope you are going ok and have some people with you tonight, you did an excellent job this afternoon.

Aldo

• Like 2

Thanks Aldo,That was me.

Robert

Sorry you had to witness this Rastus....condolence to family and friends ...

very sad indeed ...

• Like 1