Michael Smith: the moment an Aussie driving habit nearly killed me!

farri

I think the bars on his shoulders were leftovers of his Asian leg to get the locals to help. When I read his story I didn't get the impression he thought he could fly IFR. He just pushed on a tad too far and it almost cost him his life. I for one thank him for sharing his story and showing how it happened so we can all learn from his mistake.

A local pilot has done some private international ferry flights and he told me it was very important to "look the part", especially in 3rd world countries/airports. Irrespective of your qualifications, you should be dressed like a "captain". You tend to get more respect and things go easier...

Also anyone coming with you are "flight crew". The term "passengers" creates problems.

He ferried an aero commander to aus and his brother became flight engineer, dressed in ex raaf/raf green overalls with the badges and stuff. He'd never even put fuel in an aircraft before...lol.

A local pilot has done some private international ferry flights and he told me it was very important to "look the part", especially in 3rd world countries/airports. Irrespective of your qualifications, you should be dressed like a "captain". You tend to get more respect and things go easier...Also anyone coming with you are "flight crew". The term "passengers" creates problems.

He ferried an aero commander to aus and his brother became flight engineer, dressed in ex raaf/raf green overalls with the badges and stuff. He'd never even put fuel in an aircraft before...lol.

I think Dick Smith said the same about looking the part in his round the world helicopter flight.

When I was flying international retrievals ( as medical crew not the front office crew) we covered a lot of South Pacific 3rd world countries and we medical people went in civvies and several times had some problems relating to the fact we didn't look like we should be there. Learned fairly quickly to always hang stethoscopes round necks even when not likely to use them and carry some medical equipment even when not needed.

The air crew always were dressed in white shirts with as many bars as would fit on the epaulettes.

...The air crew always were dressed in white shirts with as many bars as would fit on the epaulettes.

I think that epaulette thing deserves its own thread. Perhaps a chart to translate all those bars into Commodore, Wing Commander, Air Chief Marshall, Generalissimo...

And then there's those North Korean Generals with their medals:

image.jpeg.d85d3f525390baf94648f06392fa2ad1.jpeg