West Sale Accident

Hi fellow aviators

On Friday, I was doing a dual RPL Navex with my instructor and was to go into West Sale but there was problems with what looked like a push pull Cessna that had crashed. Not sure if anyone was hurt but it didn’t look good.

It’s all been very hush hush, Anyone got any info ? Hopefully no injuries

Hi fellow aviatorsOn Friday, I was doing a dual RPL Navex with my instructor and was to go into West Sale but there was problems with what looked like a push pull Cessna that had crashed. Not sure if anyone was hurt but it didn’t look good.

It’s all been very hush hush, Anyone got any info ? Hopefully no injuries

No injuries, just a gear up landing

No injuries, just a gear up landing

The retractable undercarriage system on some Cessna types can be problematical. David Squirrel told me a story about a C-210 in the 1970s, which had a partial gear failure. There were three persons on board, and one bloke held on to the trouser belt of another bloke, who leaned out of the door and physically pushed on the gear leg on one side, as it had cycled to half down, and then stopped. Rell 'Boy's Own Story' that was. . .

Apparently this worked. I'd LOVE to find out where this was, as I can't remember. . . I used to fly a C-210 regularly out of Casey AIrfield in Berwick, Vic. . . .and never had a problem with VH-IWK ( it's nickname was. . .'It Will Kill' ) But it DIDN'T . . .not when I was around anyhow. Lovely aeroplane. . .

Since that time, whilst flying in the UK, I have had a couple of U/C probs, All of which initiially caused dampness in me Kimbies. . . but they all resolved themselves in the end, without recourse to a 'Belly Scrape / Prop Strike' landing event.. . .Two twins, and one PA28-R200 Arrow 3, the last one with a 'Reluctant' nosewheel. . . . .

The retractable undercarriage system on some Cessna types can be problematical. David Squirrel told me a story about a C-210 in the 1970s, which had a partial gear failure. There were three persons on board, and one bloke held on to the trouser belt of another bloke, who leaned out of the door and physically pushed on the gear leg on one side, as it had cycled to half down, and then stopped. Rell 'Boy's Own Story' that was. . .Apparently this worked. I'd LOVE to find out where this was, as I can't remember. . . I used to fly a C-210 regularly out of Casey AIrfield in Berwick, Vic. . . .and never had a problem with VH-IWK ( it's nickname was. . .'It Will Kill' ) But it DIDN'T . . .not when I was around anyhow. Lovely aeroplane. . .

Since that time, whilst flying in the UK, I have had a couple of U/C probs, All of which initiially caused dampness in me Kimbies. . . but they all resolved themselves in the end, without recourse to a 'Belly Scrape / Prop Strike' landing event.. . .Two twins, and one PA28-R200 Arrow 3, the last one with a 'Reluctant' nosewheel. . . . .

Well Phil

The age old saying of

There are those who have and there are those who are yet too still applies this to this day

Been going on since the dawn of retractable aircraft and we as humans are sometimes the weakest link

• Agree 3

Well PhilThe age old saying of

There are those who have and there are those who are yet too still applies this to this day

Been going on since the dawn of retractable aircraft and we as humans are sometimes the weakest link

Agree entirely Alf. . . .

I just hope that whosoever hangs onto MY trouser belt whilst I'm hanging out of the door of an aircraft in flight, messing around with bloody recalcitrant undercarriage,. . . .has arm muscles like Arnold Schwartzenegger or BETTER !. . .

• Like 1

The retractable undercarriage system on some Cessna types can be problematical. David Squirrel told me a story about a C-210 in the 1970s, which had a partial gear failure. There were three persons on board, and one bloke held on to the trouser belt of another bloke, who leaned out of the door and physically pushed on the gear leg on one side, as it had cycled to half down, and then stopped. Rell 'Boy's Own Story' that was. . .Apparently this worked. I'd LOVE to find out where this was, as I can't remember. . . I used to fly a C-210 regularly out of Casey AIrfield in Berwick, Vic. . . .and never had a problem with VH-IWK ( it's nickname was. . .'It Will Kill' ) But it DIDN'T . . .not when I was around anyhow. Lovely aeroplane. . .

This became the standard procedure which we all learnt Phil, after a solo pilot did it with improved technique.

• Informative 1

Umm off topic but .. Alf were you in Bairnsdale on Sunday?

Matter of fact LTF I was, picked up a young fella who has just got back in to flying and did a sortie to Mallacoota to return the terminal tea and coffee canister my other friend mistakenly put in my cooler back the last time we were there.

I’m gathering that was you in the white RV, the lucky one who got to fly back while the other half had to drive back

Matter of fact LTF I was, picked up a young fella who has just got back in to flying and did a sortie to Mallacoota to return the terminal tea and coffee canister my other friend mistakenly put in my cooler back the last time we were there.I’m gathering that was you in the white RV, the lucky one who got to fly back while the other half had to drive back

Yep, that was me. Realised as I flew past West Sale that it was probably you in the Tecnam. Lovely flight home, whilst he had a long drive home ...

• Like 1

Yep, that was me. Realised as I flew past West Sale that it was probably you in the Tecnam. Lovely flight home, whilst he had a long drive home ...

Well unofficially… Pleased to meet you, and yes 2500 ft was silky all the way back to West Sale

I heard your 10 mile call as I was turning final

• Like 1

one bloke held on to the trouser belt of another bloke, who leaned out of the door and physically pushed on the gear leg

Presumably the bloke hanging out the door would be the one who was supposed to renew the insurance!

• Like 1

It was not our minister for transport that crashed, he was only a passenger, it was a local air charter/ flying organisation that was flying him around, feel sorry for the pilot, hope he wasn’t on the phone at the time of the incident

• Informative 1

People in glass houses should not throw stones ?

What are the situations where gear up happens ?

In a 210 shirley the undercarriage buffet would prompt ?...........?.... or could noise cancel headseats diminish that sensory perseption

People in glass houses should not throw stones ?What are the situations where gear up happens ?

In a 210 shirley the undercarriage buffet would prompt ?...........?.... or could noise cancel headseats diminish that sensory perseption

Your on to it John

Noise cancelling headsets I bet have contributed to quite a few wheels up since there inception

Plenty

People in glass houses should not throw stones ?What are the situations where gear up happens ?

Plenty of reasons from various mechanical failures to pilot error to pilot distraction. Noise cancel headsets may not make a difference; there’s a YouTube showing the horn going full blast all the way down final until the crunch with the pilot and passenger in deep conversation all the way down. To fly CS and retracts you have to be a different grad pilot, and for amphib retract, up a grade again.

A friend with a 172 rg had a similar thing happen to his plane, the hirer reported U/c trouble and was preparing for wheels up. Mate said no, we will come for inspection on another aircraft 1st, ended up convincing passengers to sit on the rear floor and put their leg out and hook it on the leg and pull it forward into lock, quite successfully done, landed withou incident.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1