Mount Beauty

geoffreywh

I am looking at going to " The gathering of the Moths" at said mountain this weekend. . Planning begins. Looking at a WAC chart I see that there are LOTS of quite high mountains on route. I'm wondering ? Is there a "Valley Route" from Melbourne or do people just straight line it? Avoiding, of course, the highest peaks.......Interesting trip .......G

It's easier than going to Benambra-Omeo. where you really do have Tiger country from the west (Wangaratta) You also have a control area above you, centred on Albury. There are options as to where you get into the Kiewa Valley and it's pretty straightforward once you get there if the weather's OK. Nev

I am looking at going to " The gathering of the Moths" at said mountain this weekend. . Planning begins. Looking at a WAC chart I see that there are LOTS of quite high mountains on route. I'm wondering ? Is there a "Valley Route" from Melbourne or do people just straight line it? Avoiding, of course, the highest peaks.......Interesting trip .......G

From memory there are virtually no places for forced landings direct except for a fire strip somewhere around Big River.

Maybe Yan Yean, Kilmore Gap, Violet Town, Myrtleford, Mount Beauty, then find a valley or take a hire car to Mt Bogong.

Wondonga Kiewa Valley is another possibility.

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,

From Penfield/Sunbury I go Kilmore Gap, Managalore, Violet Town, then turn east to Myrtleford, Rosewhite Town, Kancoona, then fly down the Kiewa Valley.

Gives me reasonable options of valley floors to land in, avoiding the mountains.

HTH

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Geoff,

I’ve been across the divide about 20 times over the years from West Sale going various ways

Up the Licola Valley keeping below the 8500 ft step out of Melbourne then across past Mount Skene which is an option if the fan stops (not pretty but still an option) then a right turn up the King Valley

In the trike I had one section where I was probably 6 minutes with no real option between Licola and Mansfield , in the plane it is about 3 minutes.

Another way I have gone a number of times is direct from West Sale and up the Dargo Valley usually at 9500 ft as the CTA Step is out to 18000 LL , at height you would be able to make either the low land plains at the start of the divide or the Dargo Valley depending on you glide ratio of course, from Dargo I follow the high plains road which is an option as it is fairly un treed in places but wouldn’t be pretty on the undercard if you had to put down from there I fly between Hotham Summit and Hotham airport which are both options as well as the road if needed

The most common way I go is via Bairnsdale and then up over to Swifts Creek then up along the side of Livingstone Valley keeping it within gliding range at all times, I always track close to Hotham airport then have direct track to Mt Beauty which is about 20nm away from it, this takes you close to Falls Creek resort and ski fields which in places are fairly un treed

My flight paths I always deviate towards cleared valleys or things I see as options and stay within gliding range of them the best I can

Most times I’m not left without an option for more than a couple of minutes and I always fly high to maximise my options if the fan stops

Contrary to what people may think there are quite a few options crossing the divide if you fly high and smartly

Yes it is a calculated risk I know but you either got to be unlucky or Sh!t out of luck if it stops in the few minutes between no mans land

If your coming from Melbourne way I’d certainly either cross the divide near Kilmore or scoot through up past Marysville and Buxton way as high as the step allows you which from memory is 6500 then out to 8500 which I have done a few times heading to Yarrawonga

Hope this helps

Alf

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

More information here from the Mount Beauty guys.

=6491675973506951000&ft[mf_story_key]=-5564740342882379357&ft[ego_id]=1703981532986277&ft[ei]=&ft[fbfeed_location]=1&ft[insertion_position]=1&__md__=1"]Mount Beauty Airport

Thought about going this weekend but other things in the way. Having not been there before, it’d be good to know how you get on with getting there. Especially interested to know flying conditions this time of year with the heat and all...Saturday forecast is hot and possible storms.

This time of year the weather is pretty unsettled in that area. Be prepared to land and get surface transport if in doubt. When going in and out of Hotham I would often get a local familiar with flying to verify actual weather from a good vantage point.. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The fly-in turned out fantastic. 90 minute sunny flight from south Melbourne on Saturday. A 10 to 15 knot headwind slowing things down somewhat. I flew over Healesville, Eildon, Mansfield and then straight-lined it to Mt Beauty. What a lovely airfieled and town! The organisation was very good... Helpful and courteous... but not enough food vendors. On the way back there were rain showers both light and heavy everywhere, so I airfield-hopped all the way back and had to race a huge rain cloud into Tooradin. Having 4500 feet under me I kept up about 130+ knots all the way to the airfield and got the 'plane inside just before the heavy rain started. All in all a great weekend.

• Like 6

The fly-in turned out fantastic. 90 minute sunny flight from south Melbourne on Saturday. A 10 to 15 knot headwind slowing things down somewhat. I flew over Healesville, Eildon, Mansfield and then straight-lined it to Mt Beauty. What a lovely airfieled and town! The organisation was very good... Helpful and courteous... but not enough food vendors. On the way back there were rain showers both light and heavy everywhere, so I airfield-hopped all the way back and had to race a huge rain cloud into Tooradin. Having 4500 feet under me I kept up about 130+ knots all the way to the airfield and got the 'plane inside just before the heavy rain started. All in all a great weekend.

Great stuff Geoff

Is a great place to fly to, glad you enjoyed it and glad you did the trip