This Heat!

Guest extralite

Guest extralite

Does anyone else cancel trips due to not being able to find share at airstrips in summer? Seems to really restrict the amount of flying I do.

Had a weekend of water skiing planned this weekend at Wellington/Dubbo but not wanting to leave the plane (Cirrus) out in 42 degree (in the shade) sun shine for 2 days.

Be great if there was some easily transportable shade. (Anyone with some shady places for 2 days at Dubbo/Wellington please feel free to get in touch..certainly some cartons involved.)

Yeah . The air gets thermally and active There's more chance of a twister (dust devil) or hot air over the end of the strip. It's supposed to be fun. You don't HAVE to fly. So swim in the creek, get under the hose, go to an airconditioned Pub.. Nev

• Agree 1

Guest extralite

Normally i fly out in mornings or nights. Its leaving the plane out in the sun in plus 40 degrees that is the show stopper.

Seen the media on Wellington's ice problem but I find it a nice town so it might be overstated. Little Antarctica makes a good headline. . Really great place to stay up in the old hospital which has been converted into a hotel with lots of personality.

Normally i fly out in mornings or nights. Its leaving the plane out in the sun in plus 40 degrees that is the show stopper.Seen the media on Wellington's ice problem but I find it a nice town so it might be overstated. Little Antarctica makes a good headline. . Really great place to stay up in the old hospital which has been converted into a hotel with lots of personality.

Hmm... Does that "personality" come out late at night? ;)

The beauty about Pvt. flying is you don't have to go -:)

Yesterday I went for a quick spin around the block at 1930 hrs as the sun was getting low in the sky but where I drive my plane from had a density Alt of just under 5000 ft. I wonder how many drivers out there do Density Alt calculations? Plenty of YT vids showing divers who shouldn't be in charge of a lawn tractor!

Same here mate. I am always looking at DA. My bird currently sits over 2000ft elevation, and when it gets hot, the DA goes up very quickly!

Only last week a club member took off in his Pa28-140 on our grass cross strip 650m slight cross wind no h/w had two up fuel unknown but it was 35 degs with a DA of around 4800', I reached for my phone ready to dial 000, how he cleared the fence I'll never know! Probably reached for the emerg lever Pipers are well known for! Lucky no trees!!

WOW! I really noticed it when I moved my plane. She was down the coast - 34ft elevation. :) Then when I moved her up on the deck, I could feel how the plane reacted differently when it got hot.

There are some really cool apps that will assist pilots. If they don't know, or can't do the crazy calculations, these apps will go a long way to letting you know what you might be in for. Right now my home strip has an AD of over 4000ft. 2000ft more than it should be. Makes a big difference!! Especially if you are weighted up!

Wellington vs Orange & Dubbo:

No comparison!. Orange 4 ish degrees lower than Wellington, which is 4 ish lower than Dubbo.

If you have friends were you park your aircraft, see if you can get a "wedding gazebo" to put over said plane.

spacesailor

Guest extralite

Good suggestion about the portable gazebo but dubbo being rpt security controlled airport with rfds as well thought there may be someone with a control fetish march up as i was setting it up :)

You can't set it up as your in the air, that's what the Friends are for!. LoL

Anyone in the other Voluntary services you could tap, I have Firery's and SES. If they have a "donated" piece of "equipment at hand, they might do a training session.

spacesailor

Probably best bet is a Punkin Head cover or similar, I'd suggest a gazebo on an airport is a oops-oh-dear-didn't-think that-could-happen event waiting (a good gust of wind and off they go visiting). Failing that, a standard medium-price tarp with a blanket under to prevent scratches, if you are staying at Dubbo PM me and I will assist.

Part 2. Is it better for heat effect, to park on the sealed apron or on the grass? Everyone seems to aim for the sealed, but here (Dubbo) there seems to be plenty of spare Celcius, so whats the thoughts?

David

• More 1

Is it better for heat effect, to park on the sealed apron or on the grass? Everyone seems to aim for the sealed, but here (Dubbo) there seems to be plenty of spare Celcius, so whats the thoughts? David

Good question.

Sealed, dark surfaces have a low rate of reflection (albedo) so they will absorb radiation and become more heated than surrounding grassed areas. However, since grassed area are more reflective, heat will be re-radiated from the ground to surfaces above them ie your fuselage surface.

As a guess, I'd say that for the protection of a fuselage, park on the dark. Keep off the grass and concrete.

It would be interesting to test it.

I certainly feel hotter standing on tar than I do standing on grass, maybe a white fused plane would be better on the grass. Wouldn't a plane that is as close to the ground as we are heat up more from that heat rising off of the tar? After all it is sitting in the sun in both spots so is getting direct sunlight but I don't think the extra light bouncing off the grass would make as big of a difference as sitting on a hot plate.

• Agree 3

The nature of the surface as well as the colour is involved. Also the grass is transpiring moisture that will cool things as it turns to vapour. would you sit on a chair on the tar or on the grass? I'd go for the grass every time. Easier to land on as well. Nev

• Agree 2

Aero Club drinks ths afternoon, so I will take a temperature camera along and do some measurements. If I can, will break into some aircraft and measure some internal temps as well. Don't worry, for my own safety I will wear a black hoodie and dark sunglasses so the Gestapo won't see me.

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does anyone else cancel trips due to not being able to find share at airstrips in summer? Seems to really restrict the amount of flying I do.Had a weekend of water skiing planned this weekend at Wellington/Dubbo but not wanting to leave the plane (Cirrus) out in 42 degree (in the shade) sun shine for 2 days.

Be great if there was some easily transportable shade. (Anyone with some shady places for 2 days at Dubbo/Wellington please feel free to get in touch..certainly some cartons involved.)

Perhaps contact a maintenance facility or aeroclub at your destination and see if they have hangar space for visiting aircraft. When I was flying around the USA you could get overnight space at many airports for a few dollars( ~$20).

• Agree 1

A good quality Cabin Cover will help a lot.

It’s the delicate Avionics and Instruments that need the protection.

I got a Cover from Bruces Custom Covers in the USA, they have a great reputation for quality and they have info on their website about recorded temps in the Cabin with or without Covers.

They are expensive but worth it. They make lightweight Travel Covers and all sorts of other stuff for outside protection.

Probably too late for your impending trip, but keep in mind for the future.

• Agree 1

Agree, I had a Bruce cover for my old Cherokee ( cover worth more than plane) but apart from being a pain to carry a& fit was worth every cent!

Yeah it’s great fun fitting it on a windy day by yourself!