Massive site update in few days

Admin

Hi All

I am just about finished with basic version of the new site update and hope to upload it in a few days. Because the update is so massive I am worried that like once before if I do everything then it will be hard to trace and pin point any issues that a user may have. For this reason plus the fact that a lot of specific development is needed, the update will only show some core components and only some unique extras so you can get use to them and advise any issues. The full development will occur gradually and be extensively communicated to you for your feedback to ensure the site is developed with your preferences in mind.

So some key notes:

1. There will be no home page until it later

2. The will be no side menu. The menu system will be across the top as the side menu system takes an enormous amount of development time and needs to be done when many of the site components have been installed

3. There will be no Classifieds section. I will be developing a whole new section for this utilising the forums as a core component to it

4. The Airfields section will not be included. The existing one was a development that I paid to get done by a 3rd party so it does not exist for the new site core file structure. I will look into alternative solutions down the track

5.Some other components that will not be available initially but many have already been developed but not included in the initial site upgrade and some are still to be developed:

a. First Class Upgrade reminder

b. The advertiser system

c. The audio player

d. The ability for a user to add a profile cover to their profile page

e. The separation of news and other sections in the Whats New page

f. Some Moderator and Admin tools like the ability to use HTML in posts

g. Some of the resources will be removed until the HTML ability can be developed

h. The weekly digest email that gets sent out each week with the latest threads

i. The Social Media share system

j. The colour scheme

6. The Aircraft section, currently blank anyway, will be removed and a new one added. I am hoping Red will then be able to start populating that section

7. There will be no Events system in the beginning

8. The Forums, Media, Resources and Member sections will be updated to new versions in the initial site upgrade

9. The Tutorials will initially remain as they are but will eventually migrated over to a section utilising the site functionality

10. The advanced Search system, which uses the Elasticsearch server system, will remain however the quick search box will default to "Everywhere" when you do a search

I am also considering bringing the Whats Up Australia site back into Recreational Flying with an enhanced list of forums plus the Shop also with some extra forums...NEED YOUR FEEDBACK ON THIS

There are many changes in the upgrade and over time I will be working hard with your input in bringing the site back to and even past the current functionality.

I apologise to you here and now if this causes you any inconvenience and please with your help and feedback I can minimise that inconvenience but you do need to speak out in the threads I create asking for your feedback to do this.

Thanks for your time

• Like 2

Happy to do what I can when time permits, Ian. However, it's got to the stage where I need to supplement the pension, and I am investigating doing some on-line proof reading, a lead given to me by a well-known member of this forum. It works a bit like Airtasker advertised on TV. People advertise a job and you bid for it. I need to check out terms, conditions, commission to the source, tax implications and pension implications, etc. Also, SWMBO has lots of things she wants done.

As in the past, once I become familiar with the new site layout and function, I would be happy to develop a Frequently Asked Questions section, eg How do I post a photo? How do I start a new thread?

• Like 2

So the new format has already been introduced/installed for Whats Up Australia?

(PS. I added a new item in the Media section.)

(PPS. I also note that the "What's New" function works like the old "What's New 14 days", ie lists read and unread. I personally prefer that.)

• Agree 1

Well, had a couple of short looks at it. Going to take a bit of getting used to, hopefully shouldn't take too long, just finding out where things are.

• Winner 1

Still doing the upgrade to Whats Up Australia at the moment...currently adding the new Post Likes system which I hope many will like as it stops the accidental touches.

BUT NOTE...The Whats New Australia may be imported into Recreational Flying and if it does then I am unable to automatically import the Media, this will have to be done manually

I am thinking along the lines of:

Aviation

Flying forums but a less amount as some will be combined

Off Topic

Whats Up Australia forums but a less amount as they will also be combined

Shop

New group of forums to discuss different new products coming out and bargains across both Aviation and Off Topic

Only an off the top of my head thoughts. It is funny that the top 10 forum sites in the world started off as a specific topic forum then expanded into all kinds of subjects and these top 10 forum sites have millions and millions of posts

• Informative 1

I don't want to see the off topic stuff back here in the flying forums. I have no real interest in the other stuff. Forums that diversify may become bigger but I am not looking for the biggest forum, only one that is about flying that is relevant to the flying I do.

• Agree 5

Re "off topic" etc

My personal opinion is everyone has their individual beliefs, especially political & religious matters, that detract from the site. Obviously if there was a selection to "ignor" the "off topic" threads then it would not matter - I select "ignor" on certain individuals but to bring back all that other rubbish under "what's new" I suggest would have a negative impact.

Your call Ian, just my opinion, I come here for aviation related matters ONLY.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I can't see how it makes any difference having it together - it's just another link tab that you can ignore.There are lots of sections of this site that don't interest me, I just don't click on them. Just as there are threads which I may look at once to see what they are about, then never visit again. If it makes it easier for Ian, removing duplication of maintenance, etc., then he can get on with other things. The same goes for the other site. I visit it daily and have made over 1200 posts there. But there are forums and threads which I have not interest in, and don't look at. In fact there may only be 5% which interests me, but other sections, like Female Health and Beauty have no interest whatsoever, but it doesn't matter to me that it's there for those who are interested.

• Like 1

I can't see how it makes any difference having it together

It does make a difference if like me you use the "New" button in the menu on the left side of the screen. This page will show all the recent posts from the off topic as well as the flying stuff. As the page only shows so many posts, every off topic post is pushing another flying post off the front page.

I also think having the off topic stuff separate discourages thread drift, I have seen many times as a thread drifts someone suggests it be taken to the off topic site, preserving the original thread topic.

There will be no menu on the left side of the screen. Have you looked at the Off Topic tab, which shows what the new site will look like. It has already been changed, but remember, it is still in development and will change. It's funny. When I talk about spelling and punctuation, I keep getting told "It's an evolving language." But when this site is modified, people start throwing hissy fits, saying "That's not the way it was". It's an evolving website. Build a bridge and get over it.

There are several over-riding factors that make a useful and attractive forum or website. User-friendliness, good colours, and clear and logical layout, are the primary requirements.

Information that is required to be disseminated is easy to find, and not fractured. This current site rates highly with me, it is definitely, by far, one of the better forums around. I would like to see what the "improved site" looks like.

I bank with Bendigo Bank and they recently changed their website. Their new layout is poor, the colours used are poor, and they have done things like moved "logout" to the lower LH corner of the webpage - against virtually all other websites standard layout, where "logout" is in the upper RH corner. I find it confusing and annoying, and I've told them so, with no reply. So, obviously, feedback is not taken onboard or replied to, either.

I found a website recently that's brilliant. I don't use them for much, because most of what they sell, is not stuff I buy much of. However, I bought some good U.S.-made superglue for plastic off them - and the entire process of dealing with these people was nothing short of brilliant. I wish many other websites were as good. The website is MightyApe.com.au. Have a look around it and see what good logical layout, and attractive clear colours, with clear information, do for user-friendliness.

Onetrack, you can have a look at the first basic version of the upgrade by going to www.whatsupaustralia.com.au or simply clicking New in the side menu on here and then click the Off Topic tab on the Whats New page as that tab takes you to Whats Up Australia.

On a side note thanks guys for your comments about whether to combine the sites again or not it is really helping by getting your views

• Like 1

Maybe we should have a poll to see what everyone thinks? Least that gives a rough idea of spread of opinion. I might set one up.

At the end of the day though Ian it is your site so you should obviously do what you want to do!

On a side note thanks guys for your comments about whether to combine the sites again or not it is really helping by getting your views

Glad you appreciate it Ian because comments like red750's above ( calling other's feedback "hissy fits" and being told to "build a bridge" ), does nothing to encourage anyone to contribute.

I often refrain from contributing to threads here because of this exact type of response from those who think their opinion is the only one. I enjoy a disscussion with varying points of view, but having someone try to force their opinion on others ( especially when like in this situation it is only an opinion ), will usually see me leaving that discussion.

I take ALL feedback on board good and bad and do what the majority suggest unless there is a strategic reason to do something so in these cases the majority against would have to be huge to not do something. In the case of bringing the Off Topic forums back into the fold was only considered because of the current stagnation of both sites and I feel the quality of flying threads/posts here have been diminishing. So I thought that the opportunity for flyers to discuss other things on the site may be an advantage BUT I don't know and why I asked for feedback. One thing to consider is that Whats Up Australia is proving to be a bit of work as it seems to be a magnet for all the undesirables around the world so I am having to delete new registrations immediately after these types register.

Anyway, you guys will determine what Recreational Flying ends up like in most part

Combine the two sites. Forums, in their initial phase, generally attract all the scumbags of the internet - but with swift and effective moderation, you can soon weed out the trolls, the scammers, the crims, and the just plain unsociable and abusive types.

You are then down to a core number of forum supporters who are interesting, informative, intelligent (hopefully), and regular users. These people become the backbone of the forum, along with others who drop in occasionally to contribute snippets.

One must avoid allowing a small group of people - or worse - one individual - to totally dominate the forum. I've been involved with a forum where one person decided it was his forum, and his alone - despite it being a "international club/owners" forum.

This individual dominates that forum relentlessly - and has done for about 10 years. He must answer every query, as if it was directed to him, and him alone.

He's extremely knowledgeable - but nothing happens on that forum without him coming in to dominate the thread or the subject.

He has simply driven a lot of people away from the forum - and some of those people have even started their own, "opposition" forums, such is the divisiveness of this individual.

One forum will make for less work. Recreational flying talk is quite narrow in its focus (as with so many forums dedicated to obsessive, single-habit pursuits 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif), and not everyone wants, or needs, to talk about aircraft on a constant and unending basis.

"One-note Charlie", is a good term the Americans use. A person totally obsessed with one single subject or obsession.

It's good to have balance in a forum by having an area that offers relaxing chit-chat, or alternative things to discuss. Don't feel obliged to start up a shopping section in the forum, though. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

I feel the quality of flying threads/posts here have been diminishing.

IMO the big divide, and personal insults etc., to some of the "qualified" and informative people during the Jabiru fiasco caused them to leave. "Most" of the constant opinated (& unqualified) posters also left. I notice they have appeared on other sites but being more heavily moderated they are restricted in their crap.

A couple still on my ignor list appear but I don't see what they have to say anyway.

Without suggesting a fix, Ian I agree with your observation.

Ian, I think these two forums are a couple of the busiest around. Another aviation forum/website I belong to gets around 50+ new photos per day, and is the source of many of my Guess This Plane photos and has around 2700 registered members. But in the forum section, it may be lucky to get 1 post per week. Another forum may go a couple of days without a single post.