Who owns a Brumby and how’s it going?

stevron

As many will know I own a Brumby610 Lycoming powered model and I was wondering who loves their Brumby and who is not as happy and why?

I have had a love hate relationship with mine to start with , it’s been a long haul and I have been frustrated by continual faults for which most have been rectified (eventually), that being said , I still find enjoyment to go for a fly .

Last week I found a crack in my replacement prop spinner, both the nose cone and the mounting plate.

Communication with the installer has not been effective to locate a new one as yet , I may have to go out side the current supplier to find replacement for the replacement, at this rate I would better buying 2 and keep one spare. So, Come on , let’s hear how the Brumby’s are standing to the rigours of time and use.69027217-04A1-4811-AF59-F353CD9D8C4A.png.c4bdd67f1bc24dfd86389489a0d6bc49.png

B7FA2ADA-F2ED-4149-9915-E063274F8E39.jpeg.f11a859f3cb8360721ac9d2ae543c5c0.jpeg

A flying school I used to hire aircraft from sold a Rotax 912 powered high wing not long after buying it. The reason was it had a very poor climb performance sure they could have put a finer pitch prop on it but cruise speed would have suffered.

Pretty heavy empty weight.

That spinner cone looks like the bolt heads have worn into the fibreglass. Were there washers on those bolts?

Agree, use double washers, the largest diameter practical but thin, and a normal washer on that one to spread the load. Use crappy punched washers that have a predominate curved smooth side, and use that on the fiberglass surface.

Agree, use double washers, the largest diameter practical but thin, and a normal washer on that one to spread the load. Use crappy punched washers that have a predominate curved smooth side, and use that on the fiberglass surface.

I put thin nylon washers under most metal to fibreglass to reduce the chance of damage occurring.

I priced a Lycoming Brumby in 2012. Sticker price had me running away hard and fast......

If the same price was offered in 2018, I'd still be running...

If you paid what I was quoted, I'd expect silver service.....

Good try on the bolt heads but that is/ was not the problem ,the problem was / is the front support did not fit properly and allowed the spinner to move through the torque of the engine and then the spinner was out of balance and that’s why it split the backing plate as well , yes the spinner was fitted with washers and it’s a spun metallic spinner

Dazza , that’s a shame about the flying school as I thought Brumby designed their equipment to be an air craft most suited to flying schools. Well that’s what the advert refers

A flying school I used to hire aircraft from sold a Rotax 912 powered high wing not long after buying it. The reason was it had a very poor climb performance sure they could have put a finer pitch prop on it but cruise speed would have suffered.Pretty heavy empty weight.

See my response

See my response

It didn’t perform as well as the Tecnams at the school hence it went.Mind you it was a bit like comparing a Apple to an Orange as the Tecnsm Golf take off weight is 544 KG and the Brumby 600 KG on the same power.

I always use the red fibre washers under the heads on a fibreglass spinner. Have not had a problem since doing it this way.

An Air Master inflight adjustable pitch prop was fitted to a Brumby powered by a 912 and OKed by factory with spectacular results. Better climb rate and a 15 knts increase in cruise speed . The owner is very happy

I ask the NZ company air master about a constant speed and they returned Approx $14000. And that’s not in my budget.

I always use the red fibre washers under the heads on a fibreglass spinner. Have not had a problem since doing it this way.

Thanks , but I am having one made with better mounting system.

You might try a dynamic prop balance also put nose con on a flat surface and see which way it rolls it will roll to heavy side, out of balance.

I will electronically balance the whole system when I refit the new unit ,I wish it had been from the start as it would have saved time and money