Medical advance

Here is a promising advance from CASA AvMed. A great and helpful piece of work. Pity I just-lodged my complex case application last week but promising all the same.

On-the-spot Class 2 Medicals

Tuesday 3 April 2018

From tomorrow 4 April, all designated aviation medical examiners (DAMEs) will have the option to issue on-the-spot Class 2 medical certificates.

The changes being introduced include optimisation of the CASA medical records system (MRS) to instantly process certificates that meet the required medical standard.

If MRS flags a review is needed, every DAME now has the option to either conduct that review themselves and assess whether a certificate can be issued – or refer the assessment to CASA. The only exception will be for conditions of psychosis, irreversible dementia or epilepsy – or if an applicant has previously had a Class 2 application declined.

I can;t understand it. CASA are bringing in Basic Class 2, supposedly. Now this. Who is each one aimed at?

Everything to do with Aviation is "pay and play" Anyone who could introduce pro bono aviation would get my vote. In the old days flight training was subsidised.

Still have to pay $65 (down from $75) even though it no longer gets reviewed by Avmed!

If I pay double will they just give it to me.

I can;t understand it. CASA are bringing in Basic Class 2, supposedly. Now this. Who is each one aimed at?

Yenn, This change will mean that if the DAME thinks you are good to go, then your medical is issued on the spot, there and then. It is basically handing the decision making back to the doctor who looks at you and takes it away from someone who never even sees you face to face. If it works as promised it will be a godsend for people who want to fly with the full privileges that a Class 2 medical allows. Eg flight at night, passengers, aerobatics. This should prevent people from getting referred for thousands of dollars worth of tests that aren't needed just to satisfy a faceless bureaucrat. This is here now as of 4th of April. It will be interesting to see how CASA do or don't stuff it up.

Supposedly the RAMPC is going to be called the "Basic Class 2". The privileges will be similar to the current but will be more closely based on the Austroads Commercial Standard without the higher overlay of issues over the top. This is still under development.

Both changes should be great for aviation in Australia!!!! I just hope that there isn't any underhanded shenanigans....

Wow, if the only exclusions are psychosis, irreversible dementia or epilepsy ( or previously denied class 2) it would be a hell of a lot easier than the rampc which has a lot of exclusions. As long as the DAME thinks you are fit to fly. Should allow a lot of people unnecessarily excluded from aviation the option to return. I'm naturally sceptical of CASA's usual Trojan horse type policy but this is hopeful.

This is the stupid part. I am allowed to drive a truck on my HR licence with my medical but cant get a Class 2 or a RampC. Yet I can pass the Austroads medical. If I had the licence I can drive a BDouble It makes no sense....but then again common sense has long disappeared

So can a dame deem you fit to fly if casa has you down for audit ie for sleep apnea which i have mild form the ecg and blood tests can he say you are fine here is your class 2 medical for an rpl?anyone know

It reads as being left up to the DAME, but being cynical about AVMED I would suspect the devil will be in the details issued to DAMEs.

Until the dust has settled and then speak to a DAME who has done their “online instructions” I suspect will only be guessing & hoping for a practical approach?