Is a Lycoming 320 the way to go?

NT5224

Many on here will know that a couple of months ago the Rotec engine on my Murphy Rebel  unexpectedly seized in flight over Tiger country and forced me down in a swamp.

Im now in the process of getting airworthy again and seek opinions on whether a Lycoming 320 might be a better substitute for reliable bush flying. 

I realise this will probably push my Rebel out of RAA to VH rego, but ive been flying it well below design MTOW as RAA.

Ive got a trustworthy and helpful LAME for the install. Any considerations im missing here? 

Cheers

Alan 

• Winner 1

Lots of lightweight parts for Lycoming's around these days. I think you could build one quite light.

Rotec specs 100 kg dry for the 2800 so it wasn't too much of a lightweight.

http://www.heavy-fuel-engines.com/lycoming-solutions/

http://www.continentalmotors.aero/titan/experimental-kit-engines.aspx

X320.... 121 kg

X340... 117 to 134 kg

Electronic ignitions and fuel injection from SDS for example.   http://www.sdsefi.com/lycoming.htm

You could also run unleaded (if inclined ) with right configuration...

100hp isnt enough?..why not a Rotax

The Rotec was 115 hp and struggled. 160 hp will be much more suitable to the Rebels size and weight - and enhance its STOL which is really important to us. 

Also here in The Territory there are a lot more 172s  flying than ultralights,  and so support  and supply should be simpler. 

• 2 weeks later...
What was your empty weight with the rotec?

My recollection is that it was somewhere  not far from  400kg. With two on board  (combined weight  150kg)  we were limited in  how much fuel we could legally carry under RAA. Luckily most of my cross country  flights were solo.    

The Lycoming 0-320 is just about the most reliable aero engine ever built. And one hell of a lot of them have been built.

I run one in the RV4 and it has never given a moments trouble.

• Like 1

The poor dude has already been ripped off by one experimental aircraft engine manufacturer... he doesn't need to be an engine test bed pilot again.   Come on guys!!! 

UL Power make a few engines that weigh less than the O-320 for about the same horsepower, an option if you can afford a new enginehttp://ulpower.com/en/engines

Or alot closer to home...... https://m.facebook.com/RotaxPerformance/Victoria based I believe....

I've actually looked over a few gyro's fitted with these engines. Very impressive engineering and finish.....

• Agree 1

The Lycoming 0-320 is just about the most reliable aero engine ever built. And one hell of a lot of them have been built.I run one in the RV4 and it has never given a moments trouble

Agree.  Van Grunsven himself is oft quoted on engine selection for RVs....... the most reliable choice is an 0-320 Lycoming.  I know of one RV flying that had it's 0-320 replaced only after 3200TT (on the engine, not airframe). I'm sure they have an autofuel STC available, but over the years, a lot of Cessnas have run their 0-320s on P-ULP 95 or 98 without paperwork.  happy days,

O-320s where a lot more common back in the day, they would all be starting to get long in the tooth and expensive now though

Still plenty of 172, pa28, r22 and even a few beech23 still flying

O-320s where a lot more common back in the day, they would all be starting to get long in the tooth and expensive now though

See second post.... $24 000 US....new.

Just to clarify,  we have been fortunate to source a near-new 0320 at a very reasonable price, already configured for a  Rebel. So finding one isn’t the issue, just whether it’s the right decision. And the consensus here seems to support my own view that the  0320 is strong,reliable and proven motor

Thanks for all the wise counsel, and opinions  much appreciated

Alan

• 1 month later...

I run a io-320 D1A in my RV4, love the fuel injection, run it lean of peak @ 2350 rpm best run so far was 28 lph at 8500 ft.

Normaly get around 30 litres ph.

Running on BP Ultimate 98.

There is a Hi-o 320 Lycoming out of time for sale on Gum tree out of a chopper 1500 hrs with a good report.

Has a chopper cam but don't see a problem wit dat.

Search under Lycoming.

Hi AllenI'm sure we would all be interested in a pilot report on the lycoming Rebel when you get some hours up.

Absolutely, would love to give feedback. The engine has been ordered through Murphy Aircraft in Canada, but due to various logistical complications delivery is taking longer than expected. Isnt that always the way?

Actually the Lycoming (320 -or even 360) is the standard engine for the Rebel and most fly with them. My Rotec Rebel was a distinct oddity, and Im beginning to understand why! Im very excited about the prospect of flying with genuine confidence in my engine....

Alan

• Agree 1