RAA "creates" 10.000 pilots in 10 years

fly_tornado

That's about my take on the current industry Octave and I'm looking forward to being able to hire brand new GA aircraft like we used to be able to do. When you look at the Moorabbin figures I quoted, that location just needs a couple of entrepreneurs like Bib Stillwell and Arthur Schutt and it will start to buzz again.I'm not sure we aren't just being trolled away from the subject matter of this thread.

Might be a bit hard to buzz when one is over loaded with regulation and paper work.

AND there are more regulations on the way. So what hope has it..

Even there are road blocks for Part149.. Just mention Part103 they shudder.

Part149 and Part103 should be brought into being simultaneously.

To have Part149 working without Part103 will be a bit of a dogs breakfast.

KP

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at some time in the future and I will not be able to do my fortnightly aircraft flight in a hired aircraft

I think that you will probably always be able to do that, the cost may change to reflect the additional regulatory burdens and possibly proof of licencing and currency as regs get tighter, but you will still get an aircraft for hire to an appropriately qualified person.

For those who build, maintain and modify our own aircraft, the new regs have been a significant burden, so judging the state of aviation by your ability to hire an aircraft, I don't think accurately reflects everyone's reality, only yours.

There has been no explanation for the dramatic increase in flying hours. There has been some suggestion that perhaps it's due to an influx of overseas airline students, which may be great for the flying schools involved, but it doesn't reflect reality for Joe average when it comes to statistics.

Skidmore didn't achieve anything of note. When the heat came on, he a was gone. I like many, hoped for more. That's not a cushy job for near retirement past notables and Airforce/ Airline management people didn't have to hire their planes or personally pay for servicing, so their experience emphasis is far away from where our interests lie. The entrenched Culture in CASA has always been a barrier to innovation and change.. Nev

• Like 1

facthunter have a good read of DAS01/2015.. To me -- that is why Skidmore was moved a few would have had some tough questions to answer, he was turning the heat up on the CASA structure.

Just as he lit the heaters he was gone and all was back to what it was, none of the recommendations in DAS 01/2015 were addressed.

Who would lean on him to leave would not have a clue.

KP.

I believe it was his decision alone. The AOPA's Ben Morgan proved some of his statement s were not correct or consistent on some basic and critical issues. He wasn't doing his homework . He's probably a nice bloke to have a beer with, but that's not the point. There's much work to be done and no one said it would be easy. When a few people were not 100% flattering of the previous incumbent early in his career, He threatened to SUE anybody who asserted anything critical about what he said or did. so I suppose Mark was an improvement on McCormick ..Nev

Skidmore got set up by one of his underlings to tell an untruth to a Senate inquiry. It is on video. When asked about the Jabiru restrictions and whether some of the alleged engine failures were due to running out of fuel and did they take this into account he said "we would have". Dumb answer and AFAIK, wrong. Best to say I'll check with my minions and get back to you after lunch. Wasn't long after that he left.

Yes he was an improvement on McCormick but that would be the easiest thing in the world.

• Agree 2

Skidmore got set up by one of his underlings to tell an untruth to a Senate inquiry. It is on video. When asked about the Jabiru restrictions and whether some of the alleged engine failures were due to running out of fuel and did they take this into account he said "we would have". Dumb answer and AFAIK, wrong.

Not necessarily; the question which was asked was based on a list provided by an employee of RAA which included such nonsense as running out of fuel, and I think, a flat tyre, not even engine related. The CASA person who had made public that list, which he was entitled to do, was not an Engineer or Manager, but a Public Relations Person and the public discussion on a PR kite was passed from person to person, and repeated on this site hundreds of times. All this time, one site member, who had the names of the two engineers who went to RAA and collected their data, kept that quiet. I would expect the line management who briefed Skidmore to have briefed him on the data collected by the engineers, in which case the DAS would not be wrong.

I watched the video. If Skidmore had been certain he would have said "No, we removed those causes" (removed the non mechanical engine failures). What he said was "we would have done that" implying he thought they would have but didn't know for sure.

I watched the video. If Skidmore had been certain he would have said "No, we removed those causes" (removed the non mechanical engine failures). What he said was "we would have done that" implying he thought they would have but didn't know for sure.

You didn't understand what I said; there were two or more lists. I don't have any access to the internal CASA management system, but in the normal sphincter-sensitive atmosphere of a large organisation, I would have expected the DAS to be asked to ground aircraft, and the DAS to say something like "You're absolutely SURE of your facts" and two qualified Engineers respond with "yes we are; we've been through the records twice, and we need to act"

To be put on the spot in a Senate Estimates Committee Meeting, which has nothing to do with Aviation Safety decisions, and asked a question outside the purpose of an Estimates Committee, by leave of an increasingly irritated Chairman, with a Senator throwing in the Dorothy Dixer of fuel exhaustion, flat tyres etc. ranking at the level of the clerk who listed an an endless belt as a weekend with a sailor, things that even Senators would know was absurd as a cause of an engine-failure, I can quite understand the mind of the DAS spinning, and going back to his two engineers reassuring him that their statistics were firm, and making the statement he did.

Mr Skidmore also owns a really really old aircraft, you know the dangerous ones that fall from the sky except they don't show up in ATSB reports. May not have suited casa policy.

Skidmore got set up by one of his underlings to tell an untruth to a Senate inquiry. It is on video. When asked about the Jabiru restrictions and whether some of the alleged engine failures were due to running out of fuel and did they take this into account he said "we would have". Dumb answer and AFAIK, wrong. Best to say I'll check with my minions and get back to you after lunch. Wasn't long after that he left.Yes he was an improvement on McCormick but that would be the easiest thing in the world.

Yes he was set up.. How would you answer that question when you all of a sudden discovered you were set up in the middle of an enquiry.

Skidmore was a decent person because he did go and find things out for him self did not accept all advice.

I think there was a bit of skin and hair flying after that question time, and he put it to those above him what should be done and they did not get interested so he decided he was wasting his time. Look who the minister was -- he and his mob were more interested in Latte's.

KP