RAA Increasing Weight

What are the stats though?

3344 aircraft on the register for 10,000 members. Only 1000 maintainers which is split between L1s and L2s. Not sure which way round it was but say 300 L2s and 700 L1s.

So, 1000 all up allowed to do some sort of maintenance.

So what do the other 9,000 members do?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAAus are rolling out the L1 practical courses and then they are going to start on the L2s.

As you say, I think it will all take time, but nothing is crystal clear, as yet as to what the plan is for all members

What are the stats though?3344 aircraft on the register for 10,000 members. Only 1000 maintainers which is split between L1s and L2s. Not sure which way round it was but say 300 L2s and 700 L1s.

So, 1000 all up allowed to do some sort of maintenance.

So what do the other 9,000 members do?

Only 3344 need to do anything - the other 6656 or so hire aircraft to fly or are inactive. 700 have taken up L1 qualification and there is 300 L2’s -That would mean that 2344 owners either use L2’s or do it themselves as they were able to do prior to the introduction of the necessity to pass an exam. It doesn’t take much imagination to work out what a large section of those 2344 may be doing.

The best solution would have been to allow those holding an L1 authority to keep it (as they were already successfully maintaining their aircraft.) and only require new owners to obtain the qualification through the exam. Just dumb on the two Mikes part to make people jump through hoops unnessessarily.

• Agree 5

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with kaspers No 61 about spin.

That is about all I heard at the PDP I attended. Probably I shouldn't have gone as I am not an instructor.

Regarding maintenance. I long ago gave up on using the RAAus maintenance recording system as I couldn't understand it.

I use CASA schedule 5 as my guide and also use the CASA maintenance release. Now RAAus seem to have copied the maintenance release, with changes, but they are happy for me to use the CASA method.

I wonder how much it took to design a substitute for the maintenance release. Probably not as much as it is costing CASA to make a substitute for the FARs

It doesn't require it, but it is a good way of keeping a tally of hours accrued and maintenance required. better in my opinion than the RAAus maintenance logbook.