Hoping the experts can help me identify a mysterious small aircraft engine part

Guest xntryk1

Guest xntryk1

I recently acquired a quantity of vintage small aircraft engine parts (gaskets, etc.). I'm trying to resell these and some pieces are proving tougher to identify than others. Like this one, for instance. I'm hoping someone who is familiar with small aircraft engines (Beech, Cessna, etc.) might have some idea exactly what this part is. And I ideally, what it might fit. My best guess? Some type of fuel filter? There is absolutely NO identifying names or numbers on it anywhere. The only verbiage is what you see on the little clothe filter, "CENTER WITH THIS SIDE OUT AND MOTOR RUNNING" and then (I think), "ESTE LADO FUERA". Also, the circular part measures just slightly more than 1 3/4" in diameter.

I can't even be 100% sure it's an aircraft engine part. But I'm fairly certain that it is, since almost all of the other hundreds of parts WERE aircraft parts.

Any ideas or clues great appreciated!

IMG_0122.jpg IMG_0120.jpg IMG_0121.jpg IMG_0123.jpg

Guest xntryk1
Some sort of breather?

Maybe. I forgot to mention that the little window is glass and that area (on that half) seems sealed with just that round hole in the middle leading to the other half.

Google images didn't help; best it came up with was a coffee 'portafilter'! The terminology "motor running", suggest to me an ancillary pump or something. Those fasteners and the latching mechanism also suggest to me a static device rather than something in motion like an aircraft.

• Agree 1

ESTE LADO FUERA, according to Google Translate, is Spanish (!) for "This side out."

Any idea what the filter is made out of, and what the material between the little hole and the window is?

I am *not* an expert, but I agree with Birdseye about it probably not belonging in an aircraft because of the latching mechanism.

Guest xntryk1

Removing the 3 little screws reveals a round gasket under the window (which now appears to be plexiglass versus glass) and that thick fiber filter-type element. Definitely seems like some kind of air filter or breather. The window would show when it's dirty and needs to be replaced and the twist-off locking mechanism makes that relatively easy (the bottom portion remaining screwed into whatever). It's just weird that I can't seem to find ANY others that look like this... :-(

IMG_0156.jpg IMG_0157.jpg IMG_0158.jpg

Guest xntryk1
Not from an aircraft I recon as the twist lock is too risky for an aircraft......I can't help but think it looks like something off a coffee machine?

Ha-ha! That would be hilarious. But I'm still leaning toward some type of aircraft part. Mainly because of how and where I found it - in a sealed plastic bag, along with lots of other genuine aircraft parts in sealed plastic bags. OK, so at the very least, we can probably assume it's most likely NOT an engine part, due to the risky twist lock. Maybe something inside the cabin?

Guest xntryk1
Looks like an air filter for a compressor or air pump. It says motor not engine so I would guess an electric motor. Filter is like one on a respirator, so maybe breathable air?

Do small aircraft have things like that?

Guest xntryk1
Chrome plated diecast metal is not "usual" aircraft stuff.. Nev

OK, so it's looking more and more likely that it's NOT aircraft-related. Unless somebody can come up with other ideas, I guess I'll go with that. Appreciate all the input!

A vacuum pump filter with check window, for instruments?

Yes, a few similar item in a google image search of "aircraft vaccum filter".

You would think the lens would be glass if it was old?