Looking forward to the annual report

kasper

As we all try and decide if its worth voting and if yes who to vote for I am looking forward to the annual report and accounts again.

The 2012 to 2017 accounts compared were fun

- same income in both years

- 1,033 fewer members so everyone is paying much more - over 10% more

- no printed magazine at the end ... yet printing costs are only $16k less (???)

- employee costs are up by more than 25% - $287k more ...after we have spent $250k on an IT system to streamline cost (???)

- net assets down from $2,704,986 to $1,473,084 - an average loss of $246,380 to lose $1,231,902 of member value

Sad bastard that I am I'm looking forward to seeing what 2018 brings

If the financials this year are at ALL similar to the last 5 the cynic in me is seeing that current senior management who have been there for the past 4 years have about another 2 years before the cash runs out and we have to sell the headquarters to make payroll - my guess they will abandon the ship that frankly they have been hacking holes in below the water line.

If the financials are a turnaround I'll be amazed ... but given membership numbers are apparently up again and of course we have had another increase in fees of another 9.3% in one year - there is a chance that we might not lose money this year ... but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

About time I went back to the AUF (I wish) - or just abandon RAA and do what I want outside of the city flying groups like some already have.

Getting very tired of paying more, getting less and more rules. RAA is like the NBN - all promise and no performance - just costs more (when it works).

Name one thing in AUS that works.

The magazine (incl printing) is a separate contract. The $16k reduction in printing is the office - not printing reams of paper to tell you your Membership/Rego will lapse soon, in a month, in a few days, Thanks - here's your receipt & card. Postage should be down too, as we get most of that by email. As should wages as we don't employ someone to print, fold and envelope it.

The building (the biggest asset) is subject to the Canberra real estate market and has had its ups & downs in value. Insurance for pilots & the organisation has only one direction - UP.

2012 annual report had 9411 members, I know they are over 10,000 now. They have muddied the waters a bit by not counting Non-Flying members (only Pilot Certificate holders) so when they quote membership numbers I am not sure which cohort they are referring to.

I am also looking forward to the Annual Report.

• Informative 1

The magazine (incl printing) is a separate contract. The $16k reduction in printing is the office - not printing reams of paper to tell you your Membership/Rego will lapse soon, in a month, in a few days, Thanks - here's your receipt & card. Postage should be down too, as we get most of that by email. As should wages as we don't employ someone to print, fold and envelope it.

Most organisations dropped their printed magazines some years ago. Every organisation is entitled to make it's own decision, but where there is a significant cost, it should be itemised so every member is seeing how much of his/her annual subscription is going into it. Non-itemised expenditures of tens of thousands of dollars and even over a hundred thousand dollars were raised over a decade ago, so there's no excuse.

The building (the biggest asset) is subject to the Canberra real estate market and has had its ups & downs in value.

Correct, same with Stock Market investments, but both relentlessly climb over time, so a realistic evaluation of their worth is about 5 to 10 years.

Insurance for pilots & the organisation has only one direction - UP.

Not true, I was involved in safety discussions with one Insurance Organisation where we entered into a joint programme which resulted in our insurance, in a high risk sport, being halved. If you do nothing about safety other than a few platitudes every now and again, or conduct a "safety month" here and there the performance will go down and the insurance will go up.

2012 annual report had 9411 members, I know they are over 10,000 now. They have muddied the waters a bit by not counting Non-Flying members (only Pilot Certificate holders) so when they quote membership numbers I am not sure which cohort they are referring to.

Unfortunately the bulk of the members down't know how critical this is to get correct statisical percentages.

the RAA were showing an 8% increase in members earlier this year, so you can expect that will fix a lot of issues plus the ever continuing 3 times the rate of inflation increase in fees all coming together to make everything absolutely shine.

The magazine (incl printing) is a separate contract. The $16k reduction in printing is the office - not printing reams of paper to tell you your Membership/Rego will lapse soon, in a month, in a few days, Thanks - here's your receipt & card. Postage should be down too, as we get most of that by email. As should wages as we don't employ someone to print, fold and envelope it.The building (the biggest asset) is subject to the Canberra real estate market and has had its ups & downs in value. Insurance for pilots & the organisation has only one direction - UP.

I am also looking forward to the Annual Report.

The member numbers last year are ABSOLUTELY every single member flying or otherwise as it is certified audited number of members who have a $1 liability on windup as a limited company. Its one of the only things that MUST be disclosed that was always very murky before.

At 30 June 2017 the number of members was 8,865 per the audited accounts.

Can't comment on where the previous LOSS on the printed mag was reported within the P&L as audited BUT the P&L per the accounts for 2012 and 2017 show the following % changes between the years:

2012-2017 ------------------ % change

Revenue --------------------- 0.6%

Expenses

Employee Benefits --------- 26.8%

Depn and amortisation ---- 109.2%

Printing ----------------------- (4.5%)

Insurance --------------------- 24.4%

Other --------------------------- 8.5%

Total Expenses -------------- 19.6%

Suplus/Deficit --------------- (198.4%)

Members --------------------- (9.8%)

Brackets indicate negative change ... and near 200% difference in surplus shows the 2017 loss was almost equal to the 2012 surplus

They are holding their breath and hoping that they will get an influx of memberships if the gross weight and controlled airspace endorsements come to fruition.

Frankly, I think that any benefits are CASA driven, not the result of tireless efforts by the executive as we are told like little children.Casa will hold the same standards to RAA pilots as they do to the RPL.

ie, you will need a transponder and a certified aircraft to use the airspace, so I cant really see a rush to RAA from RPL pilots.