Rotax 912/914 Prop Gearbox

WestCoast

There will be some unhappy Rotax 912/914 owners when they see the latest SB from Rotax ( http://www.rotax-owner.com/si_tb_info/serviceb/SB-912-056.pdf ) as there has been a problem with a batch of gearboxes (mine included).

I gather there has been a defect in the metal used (to quote Rotax " a slightly increased amount of irregularity in the form of material inclusions" ) so the gearboxes & engine gear trains need to be replaced.

My engine has less than 150 hours on it 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Regards

Dave

Paul.....I have yet to speak to Bert Floods in Melbourne but from what I understand from owners in the USA, you have to remove the prop gearbox and engine gear train and send it to Rotax for them to do a rebuild.

Here is a link to a video showing the procedure to remove & reinstall the prop gearbox. http://www.rotax-owner.com:80/exp/EXP-SB-912-056M.htm

My L.A.M.E. has told me it should be a fairly straight forward procedure although a special tool is required to remove the gearbox however this should not be too hard to make. Down time will depend on how quickly Bert Floods can do the rebuild.

If we are in line with the USA on this, then all parts and labour for the rebuild will be taken care of by Rotax however removal & re-installation will be at the owners expense.

Dave

It affects the 912 & 914 100 hp plus engines. The 'S' denoting the 100hp variants, the 'UL' denoting the non certified ultralight versions.

So 80 hp owners are in the clear.

Our engine is not among in the affected serial numbers. whew! But the proof will be in the gearbox s/n. Gotta say I'm a bit nervous about doing the the next pre flight inspection...

My gearbox will be removed next Tuesday and sent to Bert Floods in Melbourne as Wal has the rebuild kits in stock.

Here are some pictures of a home-made gearbox puller from the USA that I copied when I made mine.

2 x 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 10" flat steel stock

1 x 1/8" x 1 1/4" x 10" angle iron.

Drill a hole in the end of the 2 flat stock pieces with a 5/16" bit (for the M8 mounting bolts on the gearbox).

On the other end of the flat stock drill another hole for 3/8" bolt.

On the angle iron drill a 3/8" hole on each end. You are going to mount the angle iron onto the two pieces of flat stock with a 3/8" bolt.

Next drill a hole in the center of the angle iron to accept the end of a slide hammer or dent puller which ever term you like.

Your new gearbox puller mounts to the gearbox at the ends of the flat stock with an m8 bolt. Buy two new m8 x 1.25 thread x 1 3/4" long bolts. When you mount this up to the gearbox use a 4-5 washers as stand offs between the gearbox housing and the flat stock steel. This allows it to easily clear the prop hub mount. Then attach the slide hammer and a pull or two later the gearbox is hopefully in your hands.

ATTACH]4250[/ATTACH][ATTACH]4673.vB[/ATTACH]

gearbox_puller_1.jpg.89c922e7e5f05268a7e811a38ace94bc.jpg

gearbox_puller_2.jpg.781e20aa0fd4e9ef59f33f1715d62142.jpg

Gearbox removal and replacement

Today I spent 5 hrs trying to obtain a 41mm long series socket to remove the crankshaft nut, finally got one.....$60 ! .If I cannot borrow a torque wrench in the the right range another $200 plus the loctite plus the oil filter and oil change.

Then the freight both ways, ........

I have been having the same problems trying to source a 41mm (long) socket...will try again today.

Yes I agree...it's getting expensive. I saw this on a U.S. website and am wondering if Rotax will be as generous in Australia.

Per AVweb, Rotax will be picking up the entire bill for this recall.

Rotax Gearbox MSB Issued

Rotax has issued a manadatory service bulletin (PDF) affecting specific 912 and 914-series engine gearboxes after a fault was found with the material used in making the gears. Under severe operating conditions, it's possible for gear teeth to break. The fix calls for replacement of the gears but the good news is that Rotax is paying the shot. Removal and replacement of the gearbox, the gear set and the installation of the new gears is all covered, as is the freight. [more] This is a significant test of Rotax's constantly expanding service and supply network as its engines flood the mainstream aviation network, particularly in the U.S., thanks to the burgeoning popularity of the Light Sport Aircraft category. The MSB comes two weeks before the Sport Aviation Expo in Sebring, Fla. where about 80 percent of the aircraft will be Rotax-powered and their owners and manufacturers ready to give feedback.

• Helpful 1

Guest airsick

Might be a longshot but it could be worth talking to consumer affairs/fair trading/etc. about this. I recall Nokia being forced to meet all costs of repairing a pile of mobile phones despite the fact they were out of warranty due to a known manufacturing fault.

It seems to me that making someone else liable for an error on your part wouldn't hold up. I can understand why they might try to make the engine owners foot the bill but my guess is you would have some sort of grounds to force them into repairing at their cost. But hey, I am not a lawyer...

Cost of recall/rectification.

Morally, Rotax have a duty to rectify this with no cost to you. The installed parts are not up to the job. Why should it be your problem? Ian is right in saying that we is OZ have some pretty tight consumer protection laws. You have purchased a top line certified engine (supposedly). This is the manufacturers quality control (or design) at fault here, no more no less. Nev...

Australia has one of the strictest consumer guarantee acts in the world so I am betting you would have a good chance.

Thanks Ian, you reminded me. I was wanting to speak to you about getting a warranty replacement for the faulty Composiclean I purchased at Avalon last February. The bottle is now empty 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

My Ct is 11months old since it first flew in Oz and its 2nd hand {ex Ian] And Rotax have told me that the warranty only applies to the original owner. I dont think Australian Legislation will allow that.

Have a browse through your state's trade practice act. The Rotax warranty, as supplied with our aircraft, even acknowledges that, "some states or provinces do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply".

Thanks Ian, you reminded me. I was wanting to speak to you about getting a warranty replacement for the faulty Composiclean I purchased at Avalon last February. The bottle is now empty 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Used it up already Brent - you must have one hell of a shiny Jab - time to order some more then hey 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Gearbox Removal

[ATTACH]4706.vB[/ATTACH]

Removed the gearbox today using a home-made 'puller' and slide hammer. (see pic) Worked just fine and did not take very long to complete.

Managed to buy a 41mm long socket for $54 but the expensive bit was the Loctite ($76.00 for the flange sealant (518), thread retaining compound (648) and Loctite 'Chisel' cleaning fluid.)

When packed it weighed in at 7.5 Kg and cost $71.20 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif to send to Victoria on a next day delivery basis.

1035623590_GearboxPullerslidehammer2.thumb.JPG.42da3b525cbcbcaa6498a47e393e4bf9.JPG

Sent my gear box off Monday, got it back today. Downside is that it wasnt fitted with a slipper clutch, which is standard on all 100 hp now, $1300 later I have a "standard" engine. I suppose that does explain the extreme vibration at start up.

As it turns out, the the factory had removed the slipper clutch at the buyers request.

• Like 1

As it turns out, the the factory had removed the slipper clutch at the buyers request.

The clutch is an optional extra that the buyer has to pay for at the cost of nearly $700 - it was not removed at the buyer's request but rather the optional extra wasn't ordered (like tundra wheels, floats, decals etc).

The main objective of the clutch from a buyer's point of view is that the engine doesn't have to be rebuilt if there is a prop strike. The CT's prop is so close to the front wheel and high enough that for a prop strike to occur would mean substantial damage would have occurred to the front wheel assembly and engine mount. This in itself would be cause of an insurance claim. If having to claim on insurance then you might as well get an engine build out of it as well.

• Helpful 1

Thanks, Ian, I understand the things you are saying, my comments are based on the fact that the gearbox's part number was originally stamped on the box as a slipper clutch model, the number had been stamped xxxxxxx out and a new non slipper clutch part number manually stamped thereupon. This suggested to me that that a non slipper clutch model was at the time more of an exception to production than the rule at the factory. nevertheless I understand where you are coming from. Rgs D