Sideslipping again. . .

Phil Perry

...The prototype had a violent uncommanded roll which was fixed by the wing fences. Seems to me that those cuffs were too large. I have a copy of the Aircruiser W/T test report.

I’ve used smaller wing root cuffs successfully.

Thanks, DJP. I'd be very interested in anything about this topic that you'd like to share.

One great use of a sideslip is to control glide to landing. I think the sideslip is better than using flaps. When you use flaps to steepen descent and you have to go round, you have to get the flaps up gently to prevent a stall. If you are sideslipping and need to go around, apply throttle, take pressure off stick and rudder and you are immediately way away from a stall situation.

It's really horses for courses. IF the aircraft is quite dirty (High drag low cruise speed) steepening the glide angle will achieve a slightly faster but steeper descent, and you just aim a bit short to give you a  small pre roundout correction, to the approach path.  IF the plane has  really effective flaps use them if they work, except in gusts you may wish to restrict their use to a less than full setting. The last plane I owned ( A Citabria) had no flaps and I always tend to do small circuits and sit a bit high. Without sideslipping it would be  a quite different and somewhat less useful, plane so side slipping is very much a part of the deal.

. Some flap systems don't lower the stall speed that much. They just steepen the approach path and reduce the time to bleed off speed during the flare and hold off and perhaps give a slightly better view ahead.  Nev

Once had an instructor freak out because I slipped off some excess height during a forced landing exercise.  Now I do my BFR’s with an aerobatic instructor.  Much more laid back about such things.  Like Mark Kyle, I learned in gliders first.  Love to slip a Kookaburra from the base turn down to the flare.  Pawnee slips pretty well too.  Robert

• Like 2