RAAus rego Vs Casa cost

Kenlsa

I have read in this forum that it is cheaper to fly VH even with the cost of medical Vs the annual rego cost of RAAus aircraft.  Just been updating myself with the Jabiru site and note that it is $2k extra to have VH registration (see aircraft options and pricing) can anyone enlighten me as to why is it so? (Appologies for the glass and a half reference?) Ken

There's considerable costs in certification and the price must contain something to cover it.  It also restricts modifications like ALL VH except experimental. some people who would know more than I do suggest VH exp is the way to go. Use a PPL or above to drive them. Nev

You won't know till you try. I think most warbirds are on exp. To modify "anything" on a certified VH is close to impossible in a practical sense. The exception is complying with AD's where the action is mandatory but the manufacturer has done the" revising" usually as a result of some fault becoming evident. Nev

I think VH experimental would be reasonably competitive from a self maintenance perspective although I think there are some things you can't do. Required equipment is another thing. Everything has to be TSOed which adds to the cost. In RA amateur built means you can do all your own maintenance and modify the aircraft as original owner/builder and put any non TSO equipment in. A VH registered Jabiru must be equiped with a transponder whereas a RA one does not have to be, though many do have them.

Depends whether you want to buy an aircraft or hire.

Hiring is cheaper for most people.

Hiring in GA is cheaper than hiring in RA if you include hours from your first flight, and with a PPL you can take three passengers and access touring aircraft.

Experimental VH is usually home built and it doesn't have to have all TSOd equipment. I think to get a Jab on VH rego it would need to be home built to get the best financial deal, by allowing the builder to do the maintainence.

It seems to be costing me more to run my RAAus reg Corby, than my GA reg RV4, except for fuel costs.

• Informative 1

Swings and roundabouts I think. I built a Zenith CH701 and registered it VH experimental because I already had a PPL. One time registration cost with no annual fee and being transponder equipped I am not excluded from CTA (I don’t go there, but can if I want) Medical cost was reasonable, once every two years until I had a heart attack, now they want an annual medical with a stress echo-cardiogram, so cost has increased significantly. I console myself that a) CASA still let me fly and b) It is not a bad idea to have an annual heart health check-up anyway for my own peace of mind. I am currently 71 years old, have been retired for almost nine years, so not sure how much longer I shall remain an active pilot. Physical health is currently excellent, financial health??? Sometimes think it would actually be good to know the future date of one’s death just to know how long the money has to last!!

07471454-3D76-44D7-9376-AC91B5345B83.thumb.jpeg.bc8282faf2e0fcbce06ca5c99b02279f.jpeg

• Like 3