Time to max out the credit cards! - ex-military Heli's and Pilatus PC-9 auction

onetrack

Well, here's your chance to max out the CC's, and get yourself some pieces of Australian military history!

Graysonline are holding an auction of 22 ex-military Bell Kiowa 206B-1's, 5 Pilatus PC-9/A's, and one Westland Scout helicopter.

The Westland Scout is the most historically interesting machine. Seems like it's the sole survivor of 2 purchased by the RAN in 1963.

The Scouts were used aboard the Hydrographic Survey ship, HMAS Moresby from 1963 to 1973, when they were replaced by Kiowas.

The second RAN Scout ditched into Wewak Harbour upon takeoff - but despite being recovered, it was deemed a write-off.

Note that none of the approximately 150 Scouts built, ever received a civilian CoA - they were all operated under military control and conditions.

Note also the onerous T's & C's attached to the sale of all these aircraft - none have CoA's - no support whatsoever for them, will be forthcoming from the Commonwealth of Australia - and they are sold, AS-IS, WHERE-IS.

Grays also make it clear that, "Potential purchasers should make themselves aware of any CASA regulations pertaining to Ex-Military or unregistered aircraft."

Graysonline - Unreserved sale of ex-military aircraft and helicopters

• Winner 1

Ahem .... Downunder, there's a little snag in Plan A ... but I'm sure a man of your extensive capabilities will soon arrange a way around it. Shipping to NK via a remote South Pacific Ocean Atoll, perhaps??  006_laugh.gif.d4257c62d3c07cda468378b239946970.gif

"The export of vehicles with military origins is controlled by Australian legislation. Buyers will need to submit an application to export controlled goods to - http://www.defence.gov.au/deco/DECS.asp - or call the Defence Export Control Office (DECO) on 1800 661 066 to ascertain if Export Approval is required."

Guest extralite

Those pc9s would have done some work. Such fun and simple aircraft to fly with great performance but avionics a bit outdated. Ejection seats. Wing fatigue even 10 yrs ago. Would suit someone who loves bureaucracy. 

I was stunned to see the RAAF stating that the Kiowa's had accumulated a total of 480,000 flying hrs over their lifetime.

With a total of 56 purchased (with the first 17 machines built in the U.S. and the rest built by CAC), that equates to approximately 8500 hrs per machine.

I'm not sure what the design life hrs would be for these choppers in military use, but I would imagine 8500 hrs would be approaching their design life limit.

I guess one thing in their favour is that most have rarely seen combat. The Vietnam War was practically over when they were taken on register, but I guess some may have been used in other, more recent wars and skirmishes.

• 4 years later...

I've was told some years back by an ex-A380 captain that the ejection seats have all sorts of (very expensive) implications for private use of these things.  I think he said it was best to have them removed, but I imagine even that would be eye-watering in the dollars department. I'm sure they would gobble up a LOT of jet fuel too, but that's partly offset by how quickly you get to your destination!  It would be a huge buzz to fly one, or even IN one.

Edited by marshallarts
  • Like 2