Sydney to NZ in a Cirrus - Clearing customs - Do we need a FBO in Canberra? or Hobart?

So we are planning a trip to NZ over Easter. Planned itinerary is hopefully YBSK - YSCB (clear customs) - YMCO (technical refuelling stop) - NZNV (enter NZ customs) - NZGM - NZNS - NZHS - NZRO - NZCX - NZKK (exit NZ customs) - YLHI (re-enter AUS) - YPMQ - YBSK. 

Alternate is fly YBSK to YMHB then NZNV. 

I'm managing to figure out much of the logistics of flying in NZ, but the big question is clearing customs outbound. There is just no info available about required paperwork etc, and we keep on getting pointed to FBO which we fear are going to be costly. 

Does anyone have any advice about how to DIY customs/immigration by yourself?

Thanks all. 

Around 10 years ago a group of us on the Mooney Australia web site were planning go to NZ.  The guys that did the planning suggested that we would be up for a couple of grand each, singly I would expect more.  A visit to their website may find the person that knows what to y.

I would have thought a phone call to Australian Costumes & Immigration now called Australian Boarder Force (sounds much more paramilitary/threatening) would be your first option.

Failing that, the Department of Home Affairs (if it hasn't assumed a more upbeat name).

Then again private boats, yachts etc must be doing this sort of thing all the time  - try a big yacht club for some pointers/contacts.

We were discussing this today at work - a colleague said a yachtie friend of hers was planning a trip to NZ.  He said there was a sh*tload of paperwork to do if you wanted to actually go ashore in NZ, so he was tossing up whether to do that or just take enough supplies to sit off shore!

So we are planning a trip to NZ over Easter. Planned itinerary is hopefully YBSK - YSCB (clear customs) - YMCO (technical refuelling stop) - NZNV (enter NZ customs) - NZGM - NZNS - NZHS - NZRO - NZCX - NZKK (exit NZ customs) - YLHI (re-enter AUS) - YPMQ - YBSK. 

Alternate is fly YBSK to YMHB then NZNV. 

I'm managing to figure out much of the logistics of flying in NZ, but the big question is clearing customs outbound. There is just no info available about required paperwork etc, and we keep on getting pointed to FBO which we fear are going to be costly. 

Does anyone have any advice about how to DIY customs/immigration by yourself?

Thanks all. 

Hi Sophie,

I remember reading a thread on the Cirrus forum (cirruspilots.org) where some people did a similar trip. I will try and find it, but  you should be able to find it with search. I vaguely remember lengthy discussion about radio requirements, customs etc.

cheers

Damien

The Australian X-Air + Pipistrel dealer once flew from Queensland to New Zealand in an RA-Aus aircraft. He left OOL (Gold Coast Airport) and flew to Lord Howe Island. Then he flew to Norfolk Island the next day. The third flight was from Norfolk Island to Kerikeri, New Zealand. The plane was a Pipistrel Sinus. The distance is about 2,500 km.

Here are the details: