Qantas passengers injured in turbulence

Admin

It is unfortunate that seven people where injured.But it does show that most people had there seat belts on.As the story said, the seven injured where returning to their seats.I assume that they where probably waiting to go to the toilet.( no other reason to be standing up, or not sitting in their seats). I have not flown on a airline long distance for a long time.But I do remember that it is best to go to the toilet just before meals are served.Otherwise, waiting until after meals are served, there was a very long line up, waiting to go to the toilet.The worsed aircraft I found to have a long line up waitng to go to the can, was the British Airways 747-400 .

There is no sure way of predicting turbulence and sometimes you don't have the airspace available to look for a better level, nor can you be sure that the other level will be much better

Most jet transports try to get to the optimum altitude for their weight to save fuel and there would be pressure on pilot's to go there.

I find it a bit odd that there is talk of CASA investigating this. Turbulence occurs sometimes and you can get seriously injured in any kind of aircraft if you are not strapped in.

If you keep the seatbelt fasten sign on all the time no one gets fed and no-one goes to the toilet. Nev

Going to the toilet before the meal is a good idea however sometimes you don't feel like going until the meal pushes your last meal further down so to speak.

Regarding remaining in your seat at all other times is no longer recommended on long flights because of deep vein thrombosis.

Alan.

Hi Don, they said on Bigpond it was turbulence over the Indian ocean.They where trying to fly around storms.

Wasn't that the initial suspect when this happened a few years ago with an Airbus over WA?

I was flying with Qantas a couple of years ago when we hit some pretty severe turbulence in a Q400. I'm glad I had my seatbelt on. The drinks cart was 18 inches off the ground, my book ended up in the lap of the lady across the aisle, and the passengers tea and coffee hit the ceiling. I think a couple of passengers has minor injuries. There is nothing you can do about it unfortunately. I managed to hold on to a couple of bottles of wine from the drinks cart so they didn't smash at my feet, but the plane was a complete mess with food and drink everywhere.

Going to the toilet before the meal is a good idea however sometimes you don't feel like going until the meal pushes your last meal further down so to speak.Regarding remaining in your seat at all other times is no longer recommended on long flights because of deep vein thrombosis.

Alan.

Hi Alan, I used to loosen my boot laces, and wriggle my toes.I would take my boots off as well,if the flight was over 5 hours , so it was easier too wriggle my toes, to get the circulation going through my legs.I used to drink alot on the planes, kills time and makes sleeping easier.Under 5 hours I would leave my boots on.

Hi Dazza I always wear loose fitting casual shoes and remove them completely on long flights but wear 'slipper socks'. I never have problems fitting my loose shoes back on.

I wiggle my toes, excercise my feet and legs but still find that the occasional walk up and down the aisle helps a lot more. I usually try to get the seat alongside of the door so that I am able to stand up and do leg excercises and encourage other passengers to do the same, we've had a bit of fun doing that sometimes.

Alan.

• 9 months later...
Hi Dazza I always wear loose fitting casual shoes and remove them completely on long flights but wear 'slipper socks'. I never have problems fitting my loose shoes back on.I wiggle my toes, excercise my feet and legs but still find that the occasional walk up and down the aisle helps a lot more. I usually try to get the seat alongside of the door so that I am able to stand up and do leg excercises and encourage other passengers to do the same, we've had a bit of fun doing that sometimes.

Alan.

"You put your left leg in, left leg out, in, out, in, out, and shake it all about."

I does help you know:happy dance:

Guernsey reckons it works so much better if he gets all the passengers singing as well

"You put your left leg in, left leg out, in, out, in, out, and shake it all about."I does help you know:happy dance:

Guernsey reckons it works so much better if he gets all the passengers singing as well

Mooing might help too?

"You put your left leg in, left leg out, in, out, in, out, and shake it all about."I does help you know:happy dance:

Hey Planey, how did you know about the singing...have you been on one of my flights???

Alan.