912 flat battery

rhtrudder

Mates 912 won’t charge his battery, fitted new reg , have no current coming from the charging coils, has anybody come across this , talked to wal and he said it was rare for these to fail, can this been checked with a resistance reading across the coils , maybe a broken wire 

rhtrudder - Yes, the charging/lighting coils need to be tested for resistance, and the wiring checked for an internal break, which is not visible. Here's a link to an excellent UK site which offers a wealth of information on Rotaxes.

Scroll down to "lighting coil test".

http://www.aerofixaviation.co.uk/rotaxducatidcdiignitionsystemtesting.shtml 

rhtrudder - Yes, the charging/lighting coils need to be tested for resistance, and the wiring checked for an internal break, which is not visible. Here's a link to an excellent UK site which offers a wealth of information on Rotaxes.

Scroll down to "lighting coil test".

http://www.aerofixaviation.co.uk/rotaxducatidcdiignitionsystemtesting.shtml 

Great Pommy site - thanks for the reference

I had a no-charge problem on two different aircraft. (both Rotax 912)

In the first instance I found that the two yellow wires on the connector that plugs into the regulator/rectifier (wires labelled “G”) had backed out of the plug slightly, to the point where the spade connectors on those two wires were not actually connecting. After discovering that, and then pushing the spade connectors in, problem fixed.

The second time time was on my latest build. In that instance, I found that the recommended mounting of the regulator/rectifier was not giving a good earth. The fix was to make up a separate earthing wire connected to a good earthing point and bingo.

Two simple checks before you dig too deeply.

Cheers. Perry

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I had a no-charge problem on two different aircraft. (both Rotax 912)

In the first instance I found that the two yellow wires on the connector that plugs into the regulator/rectifier (wires labelled “G”) had backed out of the plug slightly, to the point where the spade connectors on those two wires were not actually connecting. After discovering that, and then pushing the spade connectors in, problem fixed.

The second time time was on my latest build. In that instance, I found that the recommended mounting of the regulator/rectifier was not giving a good earth. The fix was to make up a separate earthing wire connected to a good earthing point and bingo.

Two simple checks before you dig too deeply.

Cheers. Perry

Cant agree more - 12 volt electrical systems are sooooo dependent on good continuity.  The earth return is often overlooked but is essential for reliability and function. I always "run" additional earth wires and as a consequence rarely have issues.

You other point, regarding connector failure, highlights the need for well secured/supported wiring, with enough "flex" where things like engine movement may be a factor.

I have heard of some owners doing away with the plug completely and just fitting the 6.3mm spade connectors individually.

That way you can "feel" how each connection fits (tight or loose).