They don't make 'em like this anymore (films, that is; planes they do ;-)

Garfly

Okay, I'm going to give this thread another shot. 

Yes, it's another 20' of life-coaching, the way it used to be done.

But, hey, even in this age of limited attention spans, who doesn't need a dose of that occasionally!? 

Just think of it as a (once-) hip Human Factors lesson.  And for all you Avgeeks who won't stick around for a full dose of self-improvement, go straight to the (weird and wonderful) bit with airplanes in it from 03:00 to 05:00

(No prizes for spotting the most inexplicable error.) 

No wonder they don't make 'em like that anymore (films, that is; people - and planes - they do).

Ya know, I don't think I'd want to travel with all those dumb people, who keep running out of gas, at their ages!!

I certainly wouldn't want to fly with Mac, either! - who doesn't check the gas in his airplane, and who does no preflight checks, as well!!   :cheezy grin:

Don't you just love the "big strong man", and "weak, vacillating, little women" attitudes of the 1950's? You got to hand it to the women who fought their way to the top, in a male-dominated world, in that era.

• Agree 2

I actually really enjoyed the first film ("Don't tell my wife!") . So much so that I had to show it to my wife, who also enjoyed it.  I thought it very progressive (for the 50s), not only because wifey got to learn to fly but, from the narration of the instructor, is described as good a student  (or even better than) her husband.

I watched my own wife learn to fly over the course of a year. It is true that there are some areas of airpersonship (just kiddin!) where women seem to enjoy natural advantages over us blokes, and other areas where we men show greater aptitude. But its probably as much down to the individual attributes as the gender. For example, my wife is more of a risk taker than I, and more impulsive in her flying.. These might usually be considered male attributes...

Id be interested to know from some of the instructors on here whether they've observed any differences between  the aptitudes of male and female student pilots?

Alan   

• Like 2

Would you say that piloting is a "masculine" activity, and that any women who take it up are the types who are comfortable nudging the boundary?

I really hate it when journalists insist on taking on "and mother" when writing about a woman's achievements in society. Does it matter that a commercial pilot doing an intrastate run has in the past had one or two gestations? Does anyone comment if the pilot has been caused in one or two fertilizations?

Would you say that piloting is a "masculine" activity, and that any women who take it up are the types who are comfortable nudging the boundary?

OME,   I'm certainly NOT suggesting piloting is a masculine activity!

We Territorians don't all drag our knuckles in the red soil.... I simply mentioned that my wife has a more impulsive and  spontaneous  approach to her flying than me, just as she drives her car at speeds that terrify me.

This is offset by the fact that she is much better at multi-tasking than me (cockpit management),  has better hand eye coordination and is more adept with computer-based technologies. Whether these differences are gender related, or just temperamental differences between us as individuals (me the slow steady and cautious one, she the quick thinking, impulsive one), I don't know.  Who's the better pilot overall? No idea.

But I'm interested to hear from instructors if they notice differences between male and female student pilots       

Stop IT. You will go MAD.

But there's help for that, too ... 

(There's got to be a reason YouTube's algorithm keeps pushing this stuff my way.)

I dunno about gender in flying.......but it does seem that neither ladies nor military gentlemen have worked out how to open a bottle with a flying aluminium opener:

• Haha 1