Portable refuelling pump

petercoota

There was once an article in the old magazine by a guy who had a drum on a sack truck with an air pump to pressurize the drum so that fuel would be forced into the upper wing tanks.

Well in the next issue, he was pilloried for suggesting something so dangerous.

I thought at the time that his only real problem was that air contains 20% oxygen, and that if he were to substitute CO2 or nitrogen, the method would be safe. You could do this with a cylinder of the gas, and when you open a valve, the drum is pressurized.

And I think that bottled gas as we use for caravans would be safe too, since it does not contain an oxidizing agent. This last idea is counter-intuitive I know.

It's not much pressure needed Skippy. It only has to be about 2 metres of head to pump into a plane.

I would bet that this would not worry a 44 gallon drum. Those drums would have to withstand the vapor pressure from petrol inside and cooking in the sun, and this would be more pressure than 2 m of head I reckon.

I didn't know they are called Tanami pumps...  why is this? Were they popular among the aborigines?

It's not much pressure needed Skippy. It only has to be about 2 metres of head to pump into a plane.

I would bet that this would not worry a 44 gallon drum. Those drums would have to withstand the vapor pressure from petrol inside and cooking in the sun, and this would be more pressure than 2 m of head I reckon.

I didn't know they are called Tanami pumps...  why is this? Were they popular among the aborigines?

I suggest you Google it for a full explanation.

Thanks to all for such a useful discussion, lots of ideas, many new to me. From all these inputs I’ve decided what I’ll do & ordered the bits & pieces. When its all delivered & assembled into a working system I’ll post a video & links. Given the holiday period & delivery delays, it’ll probably be a couple of weeks. Then I’ll welcome comment on what I haven’t thought of, or fundamental flaws in my thought processes. Thanks again to all,  Peter

• Like 2