The Oaks Flying News

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Don,

They are great people aren't they? We had smoke here too for the last few days. It was chocking really. Vis was no good either. Thank God some of the smoke was blown away by wind but it did not help the fires much unfortunately. We still have a blaze in the Blue Mountains burning out of control and threatening homes.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that all the fires that where a problem down here ar under control for the time being hope and pray they stay that way will be praying for the fires in the Blue Mountains also have a good weekend flying my friend.

Don

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

For those that were not there today you missed a great day of flying. First time I got the Mrs up with me too and we flew over our house! Not a bump in the sky. Trip report and pics to follow in the Great Trips section shortly.:)

Guest Fred Bear

It was mate. As I said, not a bump in the sky. Must be the cool weather. Went have gone from 40 degree days down to 17 today! Nice to take the Mrs for once. I think it's in order she is now going to become my navigator.:big_grin:

Not a bump in the sky!!?!?!?...what a difference about 100nm makes!

We went across to Temora today for their last flying day of the year (surprised tosee a Hornet there too which did a display before leaving this arvo)weather going across this morning was eery, there was an inversion layer at about 6500', below it was very hazy (smoke from Victorian fires) above it was beautiful...looked like flying over a muddy puddle. Pretty smooth above it on the trip over.

The trip home was a different story! Smoke haze was a lot thicker up to about 7000' and pretty bumpy climbing through it, the mud puddle had gotten a bit thicker! By the time we got within 30nm of Canberra, strong easterly winds were meeting the south westerly from the other side of the range and had the most turbulent 20 mins I think I've ever flown in...and some other folks by the sound of it...there wasa twin which departed Temora a bit after us and by about half way to Canberra requested priority clearance due to some very unwell people on board...including the pilot ! By the time we touched down the wind was an easterly gusting 25-30 knots...a Herc landed just after us with a 25 knot crosswind...reckon he was a bit busy on the controls.

Here's hoping for some smoother air next time we get up.

Cheers,

Matt.

PS: We will get back to The Oaks one day...

Matt I think you will finf the fires were a little closer than that Holbrook has almost bee surronded by firefrom yesterday the airfield has beenrunning hot with the water boomers in and out filling up with water great piolts those bloks wew have I'm told by the chief fire controller 5 fires out of control with the main one burning allong the boundry of one of my friends if its not drought its fire wouldn't be a farmer for quids.

Don

Guest Fred Bear

Glad you made it back safe Matt! Also glad I did not experience that sort of flying weather. I did once while flying the Bantam and it was severe turbulence (the Jabs in front of me were thrown around so imagine the Bantam)! Never ever want that sort of experience again. Would love to see you at The Oaks again soon!:)

Darren I would be interested to here just how bad it is from the air.

As you know Holbrook is not far fro the vic border and we have been smoked in for days last night there where some spot fires in wodooga praise GOD they where able to get on top of them very quickly also there was some worry about the fires in the national parks around tumut so it would be good to hearif you can see the smoke.

Don

Guest Fred Bear

Another great flight it was. There was quite a bit of smoke and haze around after 1,000ft reducing vis a little (but still quite flyable). Not too sure where this smoke was from??:confused:

SP I understood that they where in the national park somewhere around there ok now so I'm told can't give you an exact location the fire control officer just gave a very vague generalization the choppers came to Holbrook for the night so I'm afraid I'm not much help to you working on second hand info sorry about that.

Don danda

I couldnt go for a fly yesterday as the smoke haze was too thick - about 900m vis.

At Shepp, the flightline was packed with helicopter water bombers and spotters - including a Sikorsky S64 Skycrane, named Malcolm.

These guys spent half the day on the ground as the smoke was unsafe to fly through. After lunch half the fleet moved to Wangaratta awaiting deployment, but the skycrane stayed.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear

This coming weekend looks good all. Sorry to announce so early but I am definately keen for a fly (or two). You coming Dave?

Guest David C

Darren ,

You betchya .. I'll be there hopefully both weekend days . I will be flying solo mind as Marilyn is working both days . The forecast for Saturday looks the best day , but rain , hail or shine I will be there . Like you Darren , I'm keen for a fly .

Dave

Despite the large clouds and forcast the night before, last Saturday was pretty good.

Couple of us SRFC boys had the airfield to ourselves!

Will be there again Saturday!

Arthur.

Guest Fred Bear

Got my answer bumping into you in the mortuary today Dave ha ha 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Looks like a go'er then ;) Will see you there. I can be your passenger if you wish :) See you there too Arthur.

Guest Fred Bear

What a fantastic day it was too! I believe Dave C did the lane of entry. I took some pax over The Oaks local area and on to Picton. They both loved it. Husband of my work partner now wants to consider RAA aviation! That's the way. He can now bust some of the 'media hype' ultralight myths. Good to see you again at the field too Gerry. Flying next time you come out in the Jab, you better believe it!! We can go down to Jaspers or something of the sort. Make a day out of it! Good to catch up and most importantly get up there. The temp at 4,000 was a relief from the temp on the ground too! Clouds were a bit higher this time but nil bumps at 4,000.:)

Guest Fred Bear

We just made it too folks!

03:02 UTC, 06/01/2007

AREA FORECAST 060500 TO 061700 AREA 21

OVERVIEW:

ISOLATED SHOWERS DEVELOPING IN FAR S AFTER 11Z, EXTENDING TO S OF

YYNG/YMRY BY 17Z. OCCASIONAL SEVERE TURBULENCE LIKELY LEE RANGES S OF

YSCB BLW 8000FT AFTER 14Z [WATCH FOR SIGMET].

WIND:

2000 5000 7000 10000 14000 18500

350/15 310/25 310/25 310/20 PS06 290/20 PS01 270/25 MS05

REMARK: WIND BLW 4000 10-15 KNOTS STRONGER OFFSHORE.

WIND ABV 4000 IN S INCREASING AFTER 08Z, BECOMING 10-15 KNOTS

STRONGER BY 17Z.

CLOUD:

FEW CU/SC 3000/8000 SEA/COAST, SCT IN FAR S.

SCT CU 6000/14000 RANGES/W SLOPES.

AREAS BKN AC/AS ABV 10000 DEVELOPING IN FAR SW TOWARDS END OF PERIOD.

WEATHER:

SH.

VISIBILITY:

4000M SH.

FREEZING LEVEL:

ICING:

MOD IN AC/AS.

TURBULENCE:

OCNL SEV LEE RANGES S OF YSCB BLW 8000 AFTER 14Z.

MOD BLW 10000 IN FAR SW AFTER 08Z,EXTENDING TO SW OF YBTH/YSNW BY

17Z.

MOD BLW 4000 OFFSHORE MAINLY IN S.

MOD IN CU.

CRITICAL LOCATIONS [HEIGHTS ABOVE MSL]:

MT VICTORIA [3700FT]: CAVOK

BOWRAL [2200FT]: 9999 FEW CU/SC 5000

We just made it too folks!

Actually, that doesn't look any worse than it was today (Saturday).

The SRFC boys went for the $100 hamburger at wollongong.

Our flight of four to Albion Park had 12 kt tail wind from The Oaks to Mittagong, virtually no wind on letdown from Robertson to overhead Albion but I will admit to a pretty strong ground wind (at least 15 kts) blowing up 08.

A hearty meal was consumed (by some:pig:) followed by a quick chat with some of the locals.

The trip back via the coast was a bit less inviting with 20 kts on the nose going up the coast.

flying at 500ft didn't work, same head wind, just more turbulence.:yuk:

1500ft was the spot, still a 20 kt headwind, but smooth up to the Apin Road and then very little turbulence with a bit of tailwind Westbound at 3~4,000 ft back to The Oaks.;)

Arthur.

Albian.jpg.8f58584bf51e81b267c324e32baebadb.jpg

Guest David C

Arthur ,

Saw you guys go out from The Oaks and was wondering as to your intentions .Its looks as if the met folks had their forecast correct !! ..... The forecast wind at YWOL yesterday afternoon was 070 15GST25KTs .See you next weekend .

Dave