The Oaks Flying News

Guest Fred Bear

Guest Fred Bear

Saturday or Sunday folks? It's 50/50 at the moment. Dave, you coming out? All, who else is looking at going out there? May give it a go both days.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fred Bear

That would be great Ross. Take you for a spin. Give me a call anyway and keep me posted :)

Did anyone get to fly at The Oaks on the weekend ? Since June the weather's just gone nuts (or maybe back to normal) and we have a real winter upon us ! I guess the drought spoilt all of us.

Guest David C

b1rd ,

Yes mate , there was quite a turn out last Saturday . The forecasters were spot on with their predictions of Westerlies , not quite the 20kts as forecast but just enough to keep us on our toes , literally . Darren and Sunny had a fly in the Drifter , I had my first flight in a Lightwing with Bruce , hope he's recovered by now 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif, most of the regulars were there and we also had a visit from the " trios amigos " from Bankstown in a Warrior and also Ken Horlock popped in with his lovely Zephyr . " Just Fred " was also present with his unique Sonerrai 2LT . All in all we had a good day , and the wind Gods kept their promise with no nasties to cause us grief . I can promise a great upcoming weekends weather , how do I know ??? ..... Coz I'm working that how !!049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear

Oh Dave I was hoping you would be out there this weekend mate. What a shame. I will be out there now as we are going to Bathurst the following week. I'm thinking Saturday at The Oaks again nice and early. Anyone else coming out? Should be a good day for it.

b1rd ,Yes mate , there was quite a turn out last Saturday . The forecasters were spot on with their predictions of Westerlies , not quite the 20kts as forecast but just enough to keep us on our toes , literally . Darren and Sunny had a fly in the Drifter , I had my first flight in a Lightwing with Bruce , hope he's recovered by now 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif, most of the regulars were there and we also had a visit from the " trios amigos " from Bankstown in a Warrior and also Ken Horlock popped in with his lovely Zephyr . " Just Fred " was also present with his unique Sonerrai 2LT . All in all we had a good day , and the wind Gods kept their promise with no nasties to cause us grief . I can promise a great upcoming weekends weather , how do I know ??? ..... Coz I'm working that how !!049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Dave C

Damn ! I thought it was going to be too windy (well probably would've been for me lol). I'll be there this Saturday ;)

Guest Fred Bear

Well it will be good to catch up with the ones I have not seen in a while and Dave with his ambo 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Hi Darren, Can you help me with planning a route from Cessnock to Bundy for the Air show,which way is best ,Coastal or inland , I need some imput as it will be my first long trip, Hope you can lend a hand here. Many Thanks Mike

Guest Fred Bear

Hello Mike, Dave C or Matt (CT4) may know the best possible route mate. After my GA days many many years ago I no longer venture out of The Oaks area in general. I will do coastal flights down to Wollongong, Jaspers Brush,Mittagong and over my home area here and am happy with doing that at this point in my life. I would not want to give you a route and have you find a better one. The other guys venture out more often and will have a better idea. I have not flown up North mate (privately) since about 2000. Sorry I can't help any further.

PS, Rob (ultralights) may have an idea or two aswell. There are many here that would be willing to help.

G'day Mike,

A few options for Cessnock to Bundy that I've played with, see thumbnails for plan tracks & distances:

1. Coastal. Keep the land on the left and water on the right on the way up. Bit of controlled airspace to get through / under but as others have reported recently, nothing too difficult to deal with. Distance 550nm.

2. Cessnock - Armidale - Toowomba - Bundaberg. Essentially a straight line. Bit of tiger country alont this path, particularly the Cessnock-Toowoomb-Armidale leg. Distance 475nm.

3. Cessnock - Scone - Gunnedah - Toowomba - Bundaberg. Less tiger country and no airspace issues to deal with. You could go via Tamworth instead of Gunnedah but tower will be active on the Friday and Monday. Distance (via Gunnedah) 500nm.

Ultimately it depends on whether you want the scenery of the coast or the inland route. Not a great deal of difference in distance - 50nm or 30/40 mins flight time. Probably a few more enroute landing options via the coastal route as there are quite a few airfields dotted along the coast.

We'll be going direct Canberra - Tamworth - Toowoomba - Bundaberg. Distance 650nm, 5 hours flight time stopping at Tamworth to top up tanks and a cuppa.

Hope this is of some help, let me know if there's any other scenarios you'd like put together.

Cheers,

Matt.

Cessnock-Bundaberg-Coastal.thumb.JPG.5023ad035392d6d14280c3b7f1dad674.JPG

Cessnock-Bundaberg-Inland-Gunnedah.thumb.JPG.7752c1a96c68eaf7f112b60aec446fcd.JPG

Cessnock-Bundaberg-Inland-Direct.thumb.JPG.96782a63be0bf16644fa227fd4ade91f.JPG

Guest David C

Mike .

I've not done that trip personally , however , most of the pilots I have spoken to on the subject seem to prefer the inland route , especially if originating your flight from the Sydney or Hunter areas .

Dave C

Thanks Matt, The inland route seems pretty good to me especially option no 3, I will let you know how I got on. By the way you took my photo at Camden Haven having a sticky beak at your wonderful little Aeroplane, Happy flying Mike

Guest Fred Bear

Rob, there is none whatsoever mate. I think the guys that do pay it pay $50/month. It's all temp stuff now, ie, if you want to leave your plane in the open with a tarp over it that's fine. Ok, now I'm going out there to fly! :big_grin:

Guest Fred Bear

And what a good day it was today. Managed to get airborne around 1530. Head over my place as usual with Emma waving pink sheets in the backyard. A bit hard to miss 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Mostly a southerly today. Few bumps here and there but apart from that excellent vis and flying. Missed you Matt and Kaz today. Got caught up in some snow did we? Also had a visiting glassair too. Nice seeing that 130kt downwind leg! Bruce Robbins looked like he had fun today in the lightwing and Jabiru too!

All good plans...bloody weather!

We finally got in the air about 15:30 too. Very thick fog this morning in Canberra which then lifted about 13:00 to become low cloud with no getting out over the hills until late this afternoon. So we did a quick spin around Canberra - a little circuit called the City Flight. We fitted the video camera with a wide angle lens to the roll cage and got some great video...once I've edited it down from 45 minutes I'll post it somewhere.

Attached is the GPS track for our quick trip. The approach was very interesting...as per the very roundabout way of getting back to runway 35. Our initial approach was from the west to join left base for 35, then due to an inbound 737 we were directed to join right downwind for runway 30, tracked to mid-final runway 30 with a C172 on short-final on 35 and conflict likely, so around we go to join right base for runway 35...finally got on the ground with a GPS track that looks like a bit of a love heart :;)7: (according to Kaz at least 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)...looks more like a mitten to me :).

Also ran into an old friend of Ian's - his old CT SW, currently parked next to our CT at Canberra airport.

If the fog and cloud allows tomorrow, we'll try our planned Wollongong then The Oaks trip. Maybe see ya'll tomorrow.

Cheers,

Matt.

CityFlight.JPG.a885d405b1efa8902ea285df2f031d0b.JPG

Guest disperse

Matt i just watched the demo on your flight planner (command flight planner) .....deffinetly getting that when im flying