Did I hear the news correctly?

ALL filament lights put out heat. You can usually feel with the back of your hand if they are on in daylight, especially if you turn them on and off and feel the difference.  Jets have a limit on ground use of the lights. You alternate them or turn them off if you are stopped. Nev

Having made some enquires, I think the media have just generalised in regard to “landing lights”.

There is an investigation underway.

I’m sure we will find reality soon enough, but probably not in the pages of sensationalist news rags. 

Today (Wednesday 29) I was watching the news.

It was going on about the people from Canada coming over and looking at the crash near Braidwood.

Somewhere near there I saw/heard an article about a helicopter landing somewhere and having to take off quickly ...... "Because the heat from the lights started another fire"

WTF!!??

(Excuse that, but seriously.....)

The lights on the helicopter started another fire?

I'm not sure if they said:

THELIGHTS

or

THE HEAT FROM THE LIGHTS.....

Off the Internet (if you can trust it)

"Ignition can occur at surface temperatures as low as 300 °C, if the vegetation is in contact with the surface for 10 minutes or longer. At surface temperatures of 400 °C, ignition can occur in 3 minutes, and at surface temperatures of 500 °C, ignition can occur in a few seconds."

Damn good lights!

Just back from fighting a spot fire south of Canberra. Not an apologist for Defence but anyone who thinks that stopping a grass fire, from a helicopter, in these desperate conditions needs to get out more. Remember, there is a somewhat large fan overhead, and these grass fires spread with unbelievable rapidity in dessicated (no rain for months) conditions.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1