DHC-2 Beaver restoration • new video

Garfly

YouTube Description:

"The Immortal Beaver follows the resurrection of de Havilland Beaver, “Olivia”, who has been resting quietly for years in the Arizona desert, adjacent to the infamous ‘airplane bone yard’ outside Tucson. With exclusive interviews with Harrison Ford- a proud Beaver pilot and owner- the film follows the compelling story of Olivia’s rescue and restoration- celebrating the history of a remarkable aircraft."

• Like 1

What a grand Aircraft. Mr Binghi they were not a truck to fly, light well balanced controls. A very capable working machine, carried the bulk of Australias topdressing industry (along with the Fletcher) from late fifties till the mid 90's when the last of them was sold overseas. The only bad point was visibility wasn't brilliant on climb in the hills.

Edited by Student Pilot

What a grand Aircraft. Mr Binghi they were not a truck to fly, light well balanced controls. A very capable working machine, carried the bulk of Australias topdressing industry (along with the Fletcher) from late fifties till the mid 90's when the last of them was sold overseas. The only bad point was visibility wasn't brilliant on climb in the hills.

I only flew the amphib version so wouldn’t have a full ‘appreciation’ of the aircraft..?

Yeah, I agree that there's nothing better than a round engine for the aesthetics, but for those who need the plane to be a workhorse you have to go for the economy of the turbine. At least the Beavers are still flying.

More power, longer overhaul periods and reliability are reason turbines are used, they are also lighter than pistons. The smaller engines in the likes of a Jet Ranger only use 120L/H for the equivalent power in a piston you would need something like a 720 Lyc. Fuel flow with those would be similar but the Allison/RR would be a third the weight.

Once you get bigger in turbines they start using a lot more fuel, a PT6-34 uses (Approximately) 220L/H for 750 SHP.

With PT6-67F you are looking at anything up to 420L/H for 1700 SHP

ETHANOL ?

spacesailor

Dunno that I’d run ethanol through a P+W R985. Suppose yer could do a google for STC’s.

Been over 20 years since I looked at what can be run through a C-20. A little E as part of a get home shandy probably no worries.

You can get paperwork to run a 985 on mogas, never used to like it. It stank and used to vaporise In hot weather. An optional electric pump mounted near the rear tank would have helped. Wouldn't run ethanol fuel in anything, not even a lawn mower, it buggars up any older fuel lines. If you don't run an engine for a month or 2 it clogs up carby bowl with green gunk.

Had to throw out All my old garden equipment, due to blocked carbies, tried repair kits, but the galleries were stuffed.

Did try on the last one just tipping the fuel out of the tank then running it dry, No fuel taps on these items.

Whats left in the tank goes forever down to the carbie for evaporation.

spacesailor