Colder weather comfort

sain

As we start to get into the season of chillier weather I thought I'd ask what everybody does for their comfort?

Over winter last year the Gazelle was quite frigid to fly around in, especially with my tendancy to airsickness requiring the window vents to be opened. I delt with this by just putting on a few extra layers and was quite comfortable, but I'm hoping this year to take my GF for a flight or two, and she feels the cold a lot more than I do....

Is it just a case of bundling her up in ski gear etc till she looks like the good year blimp and hoping the seat belt will still fit, or does anybody have any tips?

I was thinking a set of those gel handwarmers that Katmandu sells might be the go, or perhaps a hot water bottle, warn between a couple of layers of clothing.

Just send her up for a flight in a trike in winter and she'll never complain about the Gazelle being cold, ever again.

I wear an industrial freezer suit rated for -30 centigrade. Combined with the touring screen and polar fleece bar-mitts I'm still not cold when flying in -1 centigrade air at 55 knots.

Cheers,

Glen

Guest Redair

A BMW waterproof motorcycle suit, Frank Thomas boots and some heated gloves... it doesn't get any better than that!

Redair.

Having been in Goulburn on a wet winters day I would imagine that there is very little you can do except fit a good heater. It is one of the coldest places I know, except maybe Moss Vale.

Indeed Ian. I was standing around in shorts and sandals (anticipating Narromine's usual weather) until 11:30 waiting for the fog to lift when trying to get to Narromine. By the time I got away I was frozen. I got to test my cabin heat in anger for the first time. It was awesome. Within 10 mins the cockpit temp was 25°.

I figured that a cabin heater was the only way I was going to get my wife up in winter. Nice to not have to rug up as well.

Goulburn certainly gets pretty cold. I think I only had 2 sub-zero flying days (at ground level before take off) last year though, so it wasn't all thaaaaaaaaaat bad.

The gazelle does have a cabin heater, but its pretty ineffective unfortunately.

I think I might try and get hold of a set of heated moterbike gloves for her - good suggestion that - thanks muchly.

• 1 year later...
I wear an industrial freezer suit rated for -30 centigrade. Combined with the touring screen and polar fleece bar-mitts I'm still not cold when flying in -1 centigrade air at 55 knots.

Cheers,

Glen

Well its a year later than the last thread in this past and the cold is coming again and I haven't flown in the colder months yet so

Specifically for open cockpit flying in winter, what do others use, what is cost effective? What is good, what is not?

Does a freezer suit bulk you up too much, is it stiff or fairly flexable, does it flap or fill with air at speed?? Where is the best place to buy them?

Are motor bike or ski gear a good option to consider?

While I am still training I have used several different wings, very slow and fast (In a trike terms this relates to different cruise speeds). I have noticed with a faster wing and thus faster speed, you seem to need better clothing to keep the wind out ( stop cloths inflating or flapping and to keep warmer. I suppose due to the wind chill factor increasing.

What are you thoughts on types of gloves and bar mitts

So many questions!

But I am expecting it to be bl :censored:y cold. And I feel it

Ray

I know where you guys are comin' from. :confused: Three and a bit years ago I picked up my new Jabiru J160c from the Bundy factory. :thumb_up: Apparantly CASA knocked back part of the heater design during certification. (bummer) :yuk:

Jabiru's solution - supply without heater and we will send you one later 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif (when CASA's happy). No wukkers I said, and flew of happily into the sunset. :big_grin: (Well, you know what I mean). keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

About eight months later (during Spring) :yuk: my heater arrived. (Yay!). Now we get some beauitiful weather here in Echuca. GOOD flying weather 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

- if you get my drift.

So, everytime I went to the airport - instead of fitting the heater thumb_down - I'd go flying. :thumb_up:

The heater kit is STILL in the hanger some 2 winters later and the third winter is nearly upon us. Sigh! i_dunno :confused: :confused:

Some day I'm gonna fit that heater, :big_grin: yep, some day..........

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

I hate to gloat, but... flying up here in tropical Far North Queensland... I don't really understand the question! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Mathew

G`Day Mathew,

I reckon you realy don`t understand the question. ;).

Have you tried being up around the Atherton Tablelands,in the Drifter,on a winter morning.

How good is flying on the coast?.:thumb_up:

Frank.

Low wing, big canopy, winter sunshine, what could be better.

Much nicer than summer with its 30 deg and 95% humidity, when it is still hot at 5000'.

Really for central Qld the finest weather is right now.

Guest Crezzi

Sain / Tracktop

As Glen suggested, freezer suits are a cheap and popular option. A bit bulky for more liking though & not very stylish if such things are important to you ;-) Some motorbike gear isn't too bad but it's not quite the same requirements as aviation - hopefully you don't think you need any body armour for your flying !

I've used several different brands of flying suits for my trike flying but still keeping coming back to my favourite old Ozee - still going strong after more than 1000 hours. Nice fit so doesn't flap in the breeze. Not cheap but well worth the money IMO - see (Ozee Online Shop - All Weather Protection. BlueSkyBlue (Flying Suits by BlueSkyBlue) do similar suits.

Not a big fan of electrical heating personally - besides the drawbacks Bill mentioned there is the hassle of disconnecting before you get out (& the risk of forgetting to do so when you are bursting for a p*ss after landing). Also need to be aware of the the electrical output of your alternator if you running lots of stuff of it.

For cold weather trike flying bar mitts are great as big thick gloves don't make it easy to fiddle with the radio, gps or whatever. Perhaps less of an option for 3-axis flying though the gelpacks might work in these.

Its the extremities which get cold first so don't the feet and head.

Hope that helps

John

Sain / Tracktop Not a big fan of electrical heating personally - besides the drawbacks Bill mentioned there is the hassle of disconnecting before you get out (& the risk of forgetting to do so when you are bursting for a p*ss after landing). Also need to be aware of the the electrical output of your alternator if you running lots of stuff of it.

/QUOTE]

Hi Crezzi,

The vest we use has its own rechargable battery :thumb_up:

Regards Bill

Guest Crezzi

That serves me right for not checking out your web link :-)

What's the battery life and recharge time ?

Cheers

John

Thanks for the info so far.

The jett suit seems to get good reviews on the M/C sites. And it's Aussi made :thumb_up:

Does it contribute to keeping the extremes (feet, knees, hands) warmer as suggested in some reviews?

Body armor does seem to rate highly on MC gear. Yes I do hope never to need this type of protection in my flying.

Which Ozee suit do you use as there seems to be different ones? I guess their season suggestions are for England which I assume is a lot colder than here

Ray

Does it contribute to keeping the extremes (feet, knees, hands) warmer as suggested in some reviews?

Hi Ray,

No, what it does is keep your core temp from going too low. That is when I get miserable, I have flying suits which came with the trike, I haven't looked at who made them etc. but with one of those on and pair of gloves (just received a pair of punkinhead bar mitts in the mail I'll be trying out this afternoon :thumb_up:) I find the first 45 minutes or so you fly around your extremes feel cold but thats O.K but after that when your whole body starts to get cold that sucks thumb_down. I also believe that when that happens your ability to make correct decisions your co-ordination, all that stuff starts to deteriorate :confused:

Regards Bill